A profitable but not very enjoyable experience.

Had a good experience on a fruit machine? Discuss it here..
ma71lda

A profitable but not very enjoyable experience.

Post by ma71lda »

First and foremost, I stopped playing fruit machines in pubs on an everyday basis in Nov '08. And I haven't done since. Although I do visit a Hot Stuff once or twice a week - its almost free money, a great machine and on the way to doing a weekly shop!!! :lol:

On Thursday the Mrs and myself had a day off together without the kids in tow for the first time in a long time. So we went to town to shop, but play on a couple of machines to see how times have changed.

We went to Hot Stuff first and got the Hot Stuff streak within £3, this went for £32. It was probably a free JP but she wasn't having any of it and wanted to get off. £29 up. We set off to town (Bury FYI).

We headed to Nobles as it straight off the tram. £20 in Pokerface, £25 out. Then we play on the first £70jp, a DOND with a dial. Now I don't know how any £70er plays, obviously I've seen them because I play pool but they're technically flashing lights. Anyway, £31 in, £65 out. All thanks to a CoB Win Stepper which went to £25 and doubled up to £50 otherwise I'd have been well down. We left.

Onto the first pub which had a Devil of a Deal and a Rainbow Riches Fiddle (?), I didn't really fancy any of them but I have a dabble. RR did me for £8 and I lost £4 on the Devil of a Deal, plus £4 beverages. Next stop was a Yates'. Two Monopoly machines and two DONDs. Between the Monopoly machines I may have lost a couple of quid then I put £6 in a DOND (the DOND game may have had a LCD screen and the entry was like Crazy Chairs used to be), I CoB'd and it gave me £50!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ......didn't even touch the other machine!

Final pub I went in was a Spoons, which lo and behold had 3 DONDS and TIOLI. I ignored the TIOLI totally. The first DOND I went on I put in £7 for a tenner. The second I was best part of £35 down until I CoB'd and hit another Win Stepper, which again went for £50. The final machine took £10 for a board which 'busted', £5 for another 'busted' board and a final board for £5 that offered a £6 win that I took.

All that effort took about 2 hours max including dinner.

Yes I won a good amount of money, but did I enjoy myself? Not a chance. Its pure luck these days - how hard is it to hit a button when landing on a question mark? Not very. Anybody could do their nut and Joe Public, i.e. me, walks over and sticks a quid in CoBs and potentially wins £50+!!!

I used to play machines but that knowledge is absolutely useless these days. I may have missed allsorts, who knows? All I know is that I played to the best of what I thought was 'for the best'. I stuck to playing on 50p stake, possibly a mistake and I never had any intention of chasing either - I promised myself to go no further than £100 down.

I have no intention of doing this again anytime soon, next time I could be £100 down within half an hour or less.

Just a little 'Travellers Tale'...well sort of....do you full timers like or loathe the type of player/munter I spent a couple of hours being? :|
Scott

Post by Scott »

Fair play to you mate, just shows machines can be won on by anyone (no offence) thats what keeps them coming back, how many times have people been waiting for a machine only to see someone without much idea get a lucky result? Yes its annoying at the time, but if you see the bigger picture.
Cobwebs 👆
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Yeah it's good fun winning, but getting one over Joe Public or the machine is getting more and more the battle now...I mean DONDs can offer you all sorts but face it, the frequent times of getting 1 or 2 quid extra from features, let alone ripping from bonuses is long gone.