game in trouble

Forum for discussing Video Games - Arcade, Ps3, Xbox 360 etc.
trayhop123

game in trouble

Post by trayhop123 »

game (who also own gamestation) ,,,,,,,, have to find 180 million quid , by the end of next week to pay off their creditors . ,,,,,,,, their share price has dropped dramatically ,,,,,,,,, etc

there is talk of various firms possibly buying em and taking on their debts etc ,,,,,,,,, but its not looking good .

lets face it ,,,,,,, online is always cheaper to buy from the likes of play/amazon etc ,,,,,,, and asda etc

not to mention digital downloads must have took away a large chunk of their business too

anyhow if they do go into liquidation ,,,,,,,, keep those eyes peeled this week ,,,,,,,,,,,,, could see some real last minute bargain bankrupt deals.

its a shame , but there you are.
Little discipline = BIG issue

feeder22

Post by feeder22 »

nothing shameful about it, consumers want value something they never offered
He isn't right of course, he just thinks he is.
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

And apparently they have upset a lot of their very loyal customers recently by not being able to obtain the latest releases (the new Mario one for instance) despite taking pre-orders.... It seems the games developers won't deal with Game any more. Not good!
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

feeder22 wrote:nothing shameful about it, consumers want value something they never offered
what he said.

they thought they could control and fix the prices of 2nd hand between them and gamestation too, offering a pittance for games that were only a few weeks old.

45 quid for a game is ridiculous!
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

if they do go down ,,,,,,,, it will leave a gap in the market though ,

a lot of people ,,(myself included ) ,,,, still prefer to go into town ,,,,,,, browse the shelves ,,, and physically take home etc on the day ,,,,,,, rather than online .

so we may be left with hmv , the supermarkets , and the small independent's

could this be pointing towards the end of retail altogether ? ,,,,,,,,, are we heading for a digital download only age ?

much like the music retail sector ?

i hope not , although i do use psn for some game downloads ,,,,,,,,

for tripple A releases i prefer to pick up the physical copy ,,,,,, safe in the knowledge that if im done with it in 2 months , i should be looking at getting a quarter of the value back in trade in value at least,,,,,,,,, or having the option to give to a m8 ,,,,(ive gave martin and my nephew a few over the years)

and from my experience ,,,,,,, psn and the like arn't sufficiently cheaper to allow for the loss of trade in value .

i think that slowly myself and the old fuddy duddy generation are slowly embracing the digital age .......... netflix has definitely cut down my visits to blockbuster for example . ,,,,,,,,,, but unless psn/xbox market place etc etc restructure their prices ,,,,,,,,,,,, i can eventually see a cloud gaming service taking over with a cheap monthly payment similar to netflix .

ok theres one out now ''on-live'' ,,,,,,, but its very much still in its infancy , and not without its teething problems .

it would take one of the big boys , sony microsoft etc to deliver mainstream.

so for me its still a shame to lose game on the high st ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if only that its narrowing consumer choice and slowly forcing us into a digital only bottle neck.
Little discipline = BIG issue

Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Just been chatting about this on Facebook. I wanted to pick up Mass Effect 3 at the weekend, but Game do not stock it (there's a few articles over the internet as to why). Hopefully Gamestation do? I have a £20 gift card that I better get shot of sharpish!

CEX for the win!
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

The only copy of ME3 you will find in Gamestation is a pre-owned copy and considering they are offering £35 trade for them, they'll be selling it for £38/40. Do not bother as it will NOT have an online pass.

The only people I feel sorry for in this Game/station debacle are those behind the tills, those who work for peanuts, those who interact with the public and those who take the flak. The company has been run into the ground by those in suits, out of touch pen pushers who have no idea what the public want and who are out of touch with the real world of gaming. Those who will get a nice payoff and go back to their ivory towers when the stores close for the final time.

Asda/Tesco sell new release game for £33-38, Game down the road sell it for £42.99.

CEX offer £32 trade in, Game offer £24 trade.

Noticing a trend?

The videogame sector has very little profit margins so pricing yourself out of the market is financial madness, but it doesn't help when supermarkets can afford to take a loss on because other areas compensate.

The pre-owned market is totally different. Game are pure greedy, especially when they price new released second hand games a couple of quid cheaper then their brand new games. Online pass or no online pass!!!
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

Just a victim of globalisation really, gone are the days where you can buy a book or a game from a dedicated store.