Late night poker

The Poker forum
JG

Late night poker

Post by JG »

English.

Hello. I'm currently playing some late night poker. Just a few £5 tourneys. Anyway. I thought I'd discuss a bit of strategy, chew the fat with regards to general poker miscellany and other items of interest.

I started with a micro stakes ring game, I wasn't running hot and bailed out £6 down.

Switching to a thunder tourney, £5 six handed, the cards started holding up for me and running a bit warmer. I managed to make 1st place twice in a row and am now going for the hattrick. I'm writing this whilst going through a spell of 7 2s.

Strategy: (See below)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloopish.

BOOOM Y'all!!! BOOM! BANG! CRASH! WALLOP! BOOOOOOOOM!!
Just bloopin' around on Hills. Boomed out quick in the ring, but now playing thunders for blueys. BANG! ZOOOOP! WALLOP!
Hot flava! Whooop! Zipppedy PING!!!! 2*WHOOOP! for a quick naughty. If you can't win on 'Ot Property then BOOOSH! BOOSH! BISH! BASH! BLOOP!- Mc sCOOP a loop.

bloop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Not a big enough sample but last 500 6 seater sit and gos = $2150 + $220
entry fees and $2840 winnings so game heading in right direction. Probably works out to about 10p profit per hour.
JG

Post by JG »

That's not a bad result H2.

My biggest sample size of played tourneys is on CryptoLogic.
Currently 1604 games, average stake £4, total profit £387.

Your last sample there beats my overall rate of profit/game, although I've also had a steep upturn in my last 500ish games.
I've calmed down a bit, put my tin foil hat in the microwave and read Dan Harrington's books on tournament play. I've got a terrible psyche for playing poker (it's more suited to swearing at fruit machines) but I think I've taken a step towards a more Zen like approach.
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

Terrible psyche, swearing, bashing the keyboard, JG you would have committed Hari-Kari if you were in my shoes today. :lol:

With 40k chips I was in 4th place when dealt a pair of tens, nothing special but everythings gone well for me - flopping sets, rivering straghts etc.

The blinds are 400/800, so I raise to 1600 and I get a re-raise to 4800 (I think) and this guy has 18k in chips, somebody else (20k in chps) calls it and so do I.

The flop comes down 10s 2d 6s, vey nice. I raise 1600, I get re-raised to 4800, the other guy calls, so I go all in and get 2 calls. The first player has KK and the second has 6,6. Not a bad position to be in with approximately 76k in the middle.

The turn showed Qh and the river...........the final 6!!! :lol:

Unfortunatley thats poker and you get on with it. Instead of having around 96k in chips I was left with 20k for my sins. I ended up coming 13th and in the money, yet it could have been so much more.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

depending on if he was good enough, the 6,6 would of passed pre flop if you'd played your hand better.

Minimum raise was your mistake.
if you'd made it 2500 the KK would probably of made it 7000 or so.
the 6,6 passes if he's not a fish.
you are justified in calling, you hit the flop, check to the raiser, who probably makes a 5k feeler bet.
you pump it and the KK can't get away.

Minimum raises are pretty much NEVER the right thing to do, unless yuo have an the stone cold nuts and you're pretty sure you're up against the second nuts.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

ps,

if you make it 2500, KK raises to 7k and 6,6 calls,
then you should pass 10,10 because you usually now know you're up against at least 1 over pair or 3 or 4 over cards.
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

You know what you're talking about pete and I'm still very much a novice with a cavelier approach, plus everything was going so well as if I had the midas touch.

Talking about folding if you face a re-raise with another caller this happened in the same tourney last week...........

1; I was dealt QQ so I raise it 2000 ( I had a stack of 15k and the blinds were 200/400 ), somebody raised to 4000 then another player goes all in. I know the sensible thing is to fold, therefore I do and the re-raiser calls him. They show AA and KK. It wasn't rocket science yet I was happy with myself especially when flop showed both an Ace and a King!

2; A few hands later and I have a chip stack of 18k when I AK suited. I'm a little bit out of position (blinds 400/800) so I raise to 3200 and the very next player goes all-in for about 6800ish. Now, I'm ready to call this because to me as long as he doesn't have AA or KK I'm not tooooo bad, I expect to see a pair, of course, but it wouldn't matter wether its Queens or two's because if he hits a set I'm goosed whatever the pair. But thats irrelevant because BB goes all-in and he has me covered, so to preserve my status or prolong my agony I fold. All-in 1 has 5,5 and all-in 2 has 9,9, the flop would have given me a flush but with a 9 in it, yet it would have held out. :x

The moral of the story is that I made the correct lay downs twice but could of won a good size pot if had guts or is it just the poker site playing mind games.......hmmmm can't decide. What I should do is read a couple of books and learn better strategy, I have potential but I lack experience and knowledge and you can't learn everything by watching the 'bigger boys' on TV! :lol:
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

hand 1, you made the right lay down, but depending on the buy in this might often be a call. As hand 2 shows, facing a re-raise and a re-re-raise you might still be a big favourite with Q,Q. Against decent opposition, QQ goes in the muck there.

hand 2, also a border line decision in low buy in games, although as with hand 1, technically passing is the right thing to do.

remember lower buy in faster structured tourneys rely on a higher ammount of 'luck' to win. You some times have to play big pots like the two you described. Slower, more expensive games, the two hands above are definitely passes