Help - lights too bright and getting hot!!

Got a broken machine? Need help? Ask here!
marie

Help - lights too bright and getting hot!!

Post by marie »

Hi, I hope you can help me. First time on here, great site.
After years of wanting a fruit machine I've just bought a crystal leisure pot of gold fruit machine (mpu 4) off the dreaded ebay!! lol. Bit of a bargain though - £46! (or so I thought!!) :lol:
When it is powered up the lights look fine for about 10 seconds, then they light up really bright. It only happens on the top right hand side, and after a couple of minutes there is a nasty burning smell, but no smoke, and the glass gets really hot.
Everything else works fine apart from this ( I think!).
Fingers crossed you can help, many thanks, Marie. :o ops: :? :(
fightstar

Post by fightstar »

I no expert or anything :)

But it could be the power supply problem?
but would heck with someone else first
marie

Post by marie »

Could it? I'll have a look, thanks for your reply, marie. :lol:
fightstar

Post by fightstar »

COULD But i no nothing.....
eurobuskers

check the supply

Post by eurobuskers »

if the machine was orriginally continental or from a ferry, it will be made to run from 220v and NOT 240 as in the uk. there may be a round black switch somewhere in the supply to make it run from 240?
otherwise look at the bulbs. They may have been replaced with the wrong ones, just to get it sold. If they draw too much current they will get very hot and not forcibly blow.
Good luck.
marie

Post by marie »

thanks Eurobusker, turned it on again yesterday and played it for a while, the bulbs went out after around 10 mins and there was no burning smell. It plays fine now just a bank of lights not working. will check power supply today, thanks for youre time Marie.
BRISTOLMAN

Hi

Post by BRISTOLMAN »

I think it may be the mpu4, how many lights are now not working, 8 or 16 as it could be a strobe line.
Tom
eurobuskers

Post by eurobuskers »

interesting idea, bristolman, the problem may be there, but the cause maybe somewhere else. If the line is shorted, this will be sorted when changed as the cause will have disappeared. Nice thinking
BRISTOLMAN

Post by BRISTOLMAN »

Yes i agree it could be anywhere from the board to the bulbs, id follow it back from the bulbs back to the cpu, see if all the lights that are off have any common, ie same wire, follow back to patch board then check for dry joints or bad crimps, then back to cpu, again dry joints or bad crimps, mpu4 is now old so may need a bit of love lol ;-)