5 favourite and worst/overhyped bands

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
ssgtsnelly

5 favourite and worst/overhyped bands

Post by ssgtsnelly »

well its friday afternoon and am bored as...

this topic has surely been done a few times but its always good to see changing opinions with time

right as the title says so knock yourselves out

My 5 fav's

1) The Who
2)Paul Weller/The Jam (mostly solo stuff though)
3) The Strokes/Kings of leon (I will never like one more than the other, most are just amazing beyond belief)
4) The Stone Roses (wooo King Monkey)
5) We Are Scientists (saw a few months back and are destined for god like status....

and and one more for measure as they are maybe the most UNDERATED band ever..

my home town boys OCEAN COLOUR SCENE.

now the fun bit

5 worst/overhyped jokers

1) Arctic Monkeys (yes they are good but for fuck sake theyve had one album which is 50% good 50% shite..kicking out songs at a stupid rate an people are treating them like gods..come back in 3 albums times..i see another Verve in the making minus MR Ashcrofts genius

2) Kaiser Chiefs (shit fullstop. the most appauling plebian lyrics and most punchable bloke in music.headliners at reading..glad i didnt waste the £130..wankers

3) Franz Ferdinand (much the same as above twat of a lead singer and too many shite songs that are so simple it makes you cringe..and not simple that work well either..only Oasis can claim that properly.

4) Hard-Fi (saw last summer at the Bowl in Keynes supporting Green Day where they were "supposidly" personally asked by BJA (greenday lead) to support..find it hard to believe..nothing more than a London lap band...

5) The Killers (simply fuck off..like ONE good song in Andy Your A Star and not even released as a single..GLamorous Indie Rock N Roll i think not.

rant over :P
Matty

Post by Matty »

Good topic!

I have a wierd taste in music ! I can listen to slipknot and then the next day listen to say bob dylan or scooter :)

fav band:
Nickelback(look to the left! thats them 8) )
they are my favourite band , got all 5 albums yesss 5

I like listening to anything that really sounds good to be honest!

5 i hate

artic monkeys there shit
franz ferdinand
hard fi
stone rosses
and errrr mmmmm embrace sorry if people disagree i jus dont like them !!
Gone.But not forgotton 16th Aug 2006..............
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

didnt no nickleback had five albums...

silverside up was generally ok...wasnt too impressed the hte long road is it?

agree with all ur others mate part from the stones......fuckin love em..

yeah ill listen to pretty much anyhting that is rock genre..nothing else though

very single minded haha.

saw dylan back in novemeber at the NEC..was pretty good but i think hes fading a bit in his old age..:P
couldnt even make out ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER lol

like a rolling stone was orgasmic tho :P
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

i think the hype over the artic monkeys is becuase its a great 1st album, yeah maybe if there 2nd album is shit then u can slag them off but you are putting them in the same bracket as say 3/4 album bands. but i think there more to come from them and as u say its your taste in music nobodys elses. personally i dont really like any of sgnt snellys music but thats just my taste in music u have yours and other people have theres.
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

very true nudges...im not trying to put people off the artics but i just think you should def respect a good debut album but the way people carry on they will be getting the god like genius or outstanding contribution to music award next year..some artists spend thier lives working to that (weller/ian brown) and deserve it

personally i think there have been better UK debut albums this year than the arctics

the kooks for a start are incredible
maximo part are better...

just my thoughts
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

This list is ever changing depending on what i listen to, sorry i couldnt restrict it to 5 either :wink:

faves at the mo
============
1 - Stranglers
2 - Beatles
3 - The Jam
4 - Kaiser Chiefs
5 - Oasis
6 - Maximo Park
7 - Stones
8 - OMD
9 - XTC
10 - Pet Shop Boys

Overhypes/not faves
==========
1 - Arctic Monkeys (I like them, but hell they are not as good as people are making out)
2 - Orson - Awful awful....i really cant stand them at all...
3 - Killers - Again i like them, but overhyped beyond belief
4 - Any X factor contestants music....bin fodder/hamster bedding. End of.
5 - Maroon 5....urgh

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

oo christ i forgot orson...absolute jokers....

only pete doherty can do the trilby thing...u have to be a skag head for that..orson look like busted spin offs....shocking tunes too
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

also meant to say matty "embrace" u think there awful i know its ur oppinion but personally through the years i think embrace have brought out numerous great songs from (come back to what you know to ashe/gravity/natures law etc) i think there wicked . i also think there are far to many bands around at the moment its like the record companys are givin contracts to anyone lol, and the thing is everynew band is "the oneto watch lol" dont know how many times ive heard that about so many different bands personally i was happy in the days of oasis and blur the verve ,ocean colour scene etcnot vety much into many of the new bands to be honest. But then again i have a such a range of music i like . At the moment i am listening to.

eminem
artic monkeys
stevie wonder
simon webbe
robbie williams
ordinary boys
chris brown
50 cent
the game
girls aloud
roberta flack (very old lol)
embrace
craig david
the rat pack
the streets
coldplay

so as u can see i have a very strange music selection but as long as my ears like it ill listen to it no matter if its x factor or punk rock or trance if i like ill listen to it
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

i think we are seeing so many bands at the moment purely because Indie is the music of the moment...when more people listen to it then its prublicised more and more people jump on the band wagon

true there are some real piss takers at teh moment but there are some real hidden gems too.

loving wolfmother and ok go at the moment
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

I thought Ok Go wouldn't do much after thie first album they had out a few years back. I quite liked 'Get Over It' and 'Don't Ask Me' though......might have to have a listen to their new stuff soon.

All this Indie talk has had me digging around. Just found Dandy Warhols - The Last High.....classic song. :D

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

yeah do matt, there new stuff is very decent..broken social scene new album is a corker..

cant recomment We Are Scientists enough if youve not heard though

some delightful songs on that album..
evermore2000

Post by evermore2000 »

nudgesuk wrote: eminem
artic monkeys
stevie wonder
simon webbe
robbie williams
ordinary boys
chris brown
50 cent
the game
girls aloud
roberta flack (very old lol)
embrace
craig david
the rat pack
the streets
coldplay
Simon Webbe, Girls Aloud??? I wouldnt have that them ones slip out nudges lol :o ops:

Listenin to :

Foo Fighters,
Goo Goo Dolls,
Ben Harper,
Manics,
Ash,
Feeder etc

Not listening to :

Franz Ferdinand,
Artic Monkeys,
Cant think of any others but not really into many new bands
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

saw Ben Harper at the Brum academy about 18 months ago, fuckin brilliant, hadnt heard of him before but it was good stuff..goo goo dolls are pretty impressive too...hopefully going to see the foos at old trafford in June...the strokes + angels and airwaves, dosent get much better
jimmymac

Post by jimmymac »

evermore2000 wrote: Listenin to :

Goo Goo Dolls,
immense band, absolutely love em.

Just released the first UK tour date for this country, 9th june I believe down in London but looks like theres more to be released.

Even better is after mid June they are being joined on tour by Counting Crows.

God I hope one of those dates is in the UK, goo goo dolls and Counting crows at the same gig would be incredible
ssgtsnelly

Post by ssgtsnelly »

goo goo dolls and Counting crows at the same gig would be incredible
2nd that, nearly saw CC on my gap year in Australia but something happened to Adam (lead singers) Nan so it was cancelled :(

still saw the strokes and the kings of leon infront of 400 in a lighthouse :D