I Have Quit Smoking!

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
Stevie S

I Have Quit Smoking!

Post by Stevie S »

I have been smoke free for a whole month tomorrow after about 11 years of smoking 20 fags a day. The first week is the hardest as people say and it is fairly hard when you are having a drink too. I have been trying to quit on and off for the last couple of months but this is the longest I have been and was after just a week. If I get a crave I am using chewies (airways menthol), and I chew them constantly when I am having a beer, probably having 2 fresh chewies for every hour of drinking. My motivation to quit wasn't really for my own health but because my girlfriend suffers with severe asthma and could not quit without me doing the same, and I also felt that for the money we could be having some very nice holidays or at least not be struggling so much to keep on top of bills etc. Anyone who has managed to kick an addiction, please leave some comments about what it was you kicked and your stategy for coping when a craving kicked in. Please guys, try to keep this one serious and clean. :wink:
how about a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.
Oddfeet63

Post by Oddfeet63 »

I packed in over 1O yrs ago and still have cravings
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

Oddfeet63 wrote:I packed in over 1O yrs ago and still have cravings
I didn't want to hear that lol. I have cravings now but it is a different kind of craving, like if you crave chocolate, I feel I can just ignore it and the cravings aren't hardly as frequent.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

I stopped smoking in the past for extended periods of time, such as 2-3 years, then just started again because I felt like it. Having no responsibilities or ties makes it easy and low impact to do stupid stuff.

What really got me to quit smoking was when I got married. The wife refused point blank to kiss me when I had a smoke, the corollary of which also meant no anything-else ! I gave up that day and never smoked since.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

blackmogu wrote:I stopped smoking in the past for extended periods of time, such as 2-3 years, then just started again because I felt like it. Having no responsibilities or ties makes it easy and low impact to do stupid stuff.

What really got me to quit smoking was when I got married. The wife refused point blank to kiss me when I had a smoke, the corollary of which also meant no anything-else ! I gave up that day and never smoked since.
How did you find the cravings? I just went cold turkey because I don't think them patches etc are any good at all, they just line the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies, you either quit or you don't in my view.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

Cravings were never really a problem for me. I made the decision to stop smoking, so anything that was unpleasant as a result had no chance of changing my mind.

I smoked roughly 20 a day for 15 years or so, broken by a few years of abstinence now and then.

The real issue with quitting is that people know they ought to stop, so they make a gesture at doing so, but they don't really want to stop.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

blackmogu wrote: The real issue with quitting is that people know they ought to stop, so they make a gesture at doing so, but they don't really want to stop.
I believe the secret to success with anything in life is all about your strength of mind. As I said, pharmaceutical companies know that 90% of people trying to quit have already failed in their minds simply by buying patches and the other 10% who succeeded would have done so without the patches etc.
Oddfeet63

Post by Oddfeet63 »

I hated it so found it easy
pickareel

Post by pickareel »

straights are horrendous,really can't stand smoking them anymore,roll ups with filter tips are much nicer
i got more routes than loreal
fruitypie

Post by fruitypie »

pickareel wrote:straights are horrendous,really can't stand smoking them anymore,roll ups with filter tips are much nicer
I will echo the above,And add its much cheaper aswell :o ops:
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

pickareel wrote:straights are horrendous,really can't stand smoking them anymore,roll ups with filter tips are much nicer
This is something that helped me quit to be honest! Rollies were giving me a fucked up stomach and mad shits while I was smoking them but normal fags were just too much.
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

JG wrote:I've never smoked. For those who do want to quit, but feel they need a helping hand AND want to watch the pennies, then you can get patches, gum, microtabs, inhalators and mouth (oromucosal) cement on prescription. A single prescription charge in England is £7.20, I think it's free in Wales, not sure about Scotland. You can either go and see your GP/nurse or some chemists participate in a scheme where you are given a type of prescription for the first few weeks of giving up. Prescription charges still apply and you'll need to go for several appointments with the chemist where you will discuss your smoking habits and have your blood CO levels monitored.
It's also worth pointing out that the cost of the patches etc is less than smoking itself.
If you can do it without any help, then fair play.
Some people need the help of patches etc for nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
I wish like you I had never started George, but peer pressure can be a real bitch.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Good luck mate, i've never smoked but all the best in your quest for a heathier life :)
Cobwebs 👆
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

Scott wrote:Good luck mate, i've never smoked but all the best in your quest for a heathier life :)
Cheers Scott me old pal. :wink:
Scott

Post by Scott »

You can do it :)
Cobwebs 👆