We were brung up proper

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
harry2

We were brung up proper

Post by harry2 »

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open at the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in them, but we weren't overweight because.......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT
Our teachers used to hit us with belts or canes and gym shoes and bulliesalways ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
Roulette free since December 2011.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

How true!!!
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
jeffvickers

Post by jeffvickers »

You've got that article out of a PubPaper!
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Lord knows, someone at work e-mailed it.
2 down for the melons

Post by 2 down for the melons »

I enjoyed reading that harry..takes me back, used to love it when there was an old pram going spare, wheels for the go cart!!! :D
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Making a skateboard out of a bit of wood and some roller skates, then falling off and busting up your knees and elbows.
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

All so true!

I just thank the stars my parents weren't Catholic.
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

that's been going round years.
If you're honest with yourselve, you'll admit it's mostly bollocks to be fair.

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer. ALL LEADING TO HIGHER CHILD MORTALITY RATES

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
SAME

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
SAME

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
SAME

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
STILL MOSTLY DO

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.
CAUS FISH AND CHIPS ARE MUCH HEALTHIER THAN OTHER TAKE AWAYS :roll:

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open at the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
STILL DO

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in them, but we weren't overweight because.......
...WE ATE LESS OF THEM
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
THE BAD PEOPLE WERE ALWAYS THERE, WE JUST HEAR ABOUT IT MORE NOW

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
AS TOP FEW POINTS

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
TECHNOLOGY IS GOOD.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
NO WE DIDN'T

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,
NOT SURE WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT THAT

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
STILL DO

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
YES THEY DID

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT
STILL DO

Our teachers used to hit us with belts or canes and gym shoes and bulliesalways ruled the playground at school.
BAD OLD DAYS. VIOLENCE TEACHES VIOLENCE.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
RUBBISH

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'
NAMING FASHIONS ALWAYS CHANGE

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
STILL DO
badders2

Post by badders2 »

would love to born in 1960s teddy boys mods skinheads an actual world cup winning team :o ops:
pompey are in league one ha ha ha
clarkey1984

Post by clarkey1984 »

Agreed, skinhead girls arent bad either!

I know this is a fictional character but i think my point is still valid.

deano8177 wrote:When I rang him I asked if I could play any of the gaming machines and he said no cos they keep getting fiddled. Then I said I'd be down soon to watch the football, and that I was going to shit in his urinal.
thecannonball89 wrote:If you go out on a friday night to play a deadmans and end up going out up town having 5bags of heavly cut drugs end up in the brothel, and wake up feeling like shit on monday morning sitting out a p3 dial trying to make bk ur losses of a 5am roulette sesion, your probly a player
:lol:
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Pete has to put a dampner on it doesn't he
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

sorry.
OP did spark some good memories. :D

Just saying, thinking things were better in the past than they are now, it just a sign of getting old.

There's no such thing as "the good old days", just "old days"
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Seventies, though. Power cuts, three day week, uncollected rubbish piling up, IRA bombing London, prawn cocktails.
clarkey1984

Post by clarkey1984 »

yes but, cortinas, rover p5's and 6's, david bowie, queen, t rex, colourful shirts, big hair, even bigger flares!

:D
deano8177 wrote:When I rang him I asked if I could play any of the gaming machines and he said no cos they keep getting fiddled. Then I said I'd be down soon to watch the football, and that I was going to shit in his urinal.
thecannonball89 wrote:If you go out on a friday night to play a deadmans and end up going out up town having 5bags of heavly cut drugs end up in the brothel, and wake up feeling like shit on monday morning sitting out a p3 dial trying to make bk ur losses of a 5am roulette sesion, your probly a player
:lol:
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

slap me if i get too boring and nostalgic

spectacles set to rose

playing marbles for keeps , thinking of running away from home , but plans foiled by not being allowed out the street , riding space hoppers and getting nowhere fast , building ramps on the pavement for robs homemade skateboard , rushing in for the dukes of hazard and the six million dollar man , then playing with the action figures looking through the back of steve austins head and making a silly do do do do do do sounds , sharing a bag of chips and arguing who had the most , my dad making me the best present ever out of a broom handle and black and gold paint ,,,,,,, i was monkey magic feel my power, eating penny sweets and jublies,,,,, throwing stones and dogshit at your sister and her mates, rushing back in for the likes of battle of the planets , terrorhawks knight rider , the a team , captain caveman , ,,,,,,,,, trying to stay up past 9pm bedtime because bodie and doyal are on , getting your first portable b&w tv for your bedroom then watching it under your quilt with minimum sound trying not to get caught watching hammer house of horror and tales of the unexpected ,,,,,, afterall its a school night ,,,,,,,,,,, . . your sister and her mates going to see grease at the cinema 5 times ,,,,,, the stupid girls ,,,,,, but you and your mates going to see return of the jedi 5 times ,,,,,, collecting the pannini stickers afterwards , got , got, got, not got , not got , got, got ,,,,,, pop man in the street fridays ,,,,,,, ive got red pop , you've only got green pop lol ,,,,,,,,,, im bobba fett ,,,,,, no i am ,,,,,, no i am because im 63 days older than you so there ,,,, so im taller than you , so my dad will beat your dad up. ok then ,,,,,,,,,, .. ive got a raliegh grifter , you've still got a chopper , so im getting a burner for xmas ,,,,,,,,,, well im getting castle greyskull ,,,,,,,,, no your not , you smell anyway. ...... ,,,,,,, ive got intelevission ,,,,,,, so im getting an atari soon ,,,,,,,, im not playing with you anymore ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, next day knock knock you coming out ? ,,,,,,,, my mam says ive got to finish my tea first ,,,,,, and you know not to knock at meal times ,,,,,, so you can sit on the step in the rain and i bagsy you to count to 1000 and if you cant do it by the time im finished you owe me all your blackjacks ,,,,,,,,,, ok then

sorry got carried away
Little discipline = BIG issue