Earth to be Hit?

Off-topic chat, talk about whatever you like..
mjd

Earth to be Hit?

Post by mjd »

Nasa has been outsmarted by a German schoolboy who corrected its estimates of the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, it was reported today.

The German Potsdamer Neueste Nachrichten newspaper said 13-year-old Nico Marquardt came across the Nasa miscalculation after conducting a study as part of a regional science competition.

The schoolboy used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics, in Potsdam, to calculate there was a one in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid would collide with Earth.

Nasa had previously estimated that the chances were one in 45,000, but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the teenager's findings showed the correct calculations.

Nico took into consideration the risk of Apophis running into one or more of the 40,000 satellites orbiting Earth during its path close to the planet on April 13 2029.

Those satellites travel at 3.07km per second at up to 35,880km above Earth, and Apophis will pass the planet at a distance of 32,500km.

If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, this would change its trajectory, making it hit Earth on its next orbit in 2036.

Both Nasa and Nico agreed that the asteroid would create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres wide and weighing 200bn tonnes, which would crash into the Atlantic, if it collided with Earth.

The impact would create huge tsunami waves, destroying coastlines and inland areas while creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.

So a 1 in 450 chance the world could end in the year 2036
True story from what ive heard...

:shock: :lol:
boom
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Can't find this on Snopes yet, but there is this...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/science/200 ... ffort.html
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

I went straight to snopes too! :D

Not sure if its true or not. Either way we needn't worry.
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

im not getting my hopes up for that 2quid claim to come through off services then :P
Little discipline = BIG issue

geoff365

Post by geoff365 »

better buy shares in a few electric companies then
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

no more clones of DOND then
jonnyg323

Post by jonnyg323 »

I've bet a friend £100 quid that the world will not be destroyed by an asteroid in that year...

Actually, I haven't, but would be very funny indeed. Win-win!