I get my kicks. ... on Phoenix no 26

The famous fruit-chat quiz!
Cardinal Sin

I get my kicks. ... on Phoenix no 26

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Ok chaps.

What dubious claim to fame is held by American Samoa and Turks and Caicos Islands?

And for an extra point, what were they expected to do this Sunday? (but won't be doing for some unknown reason).
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

the only national football teams to have conceded more than 50 goals in one game?
nobody ever wins on those things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

The answer does concern football, but that's not the answer on my (non-existent) card.

I don't think any team has ever conceded more than 50 goals in a proper first-class match. Although American Samoa recently lost 33-0 to Austrailia.
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

I'll take a stab at the only national teams never to have won a match? The bonus point... they were either going to play against each other, or perhaps they were going to create 1 team from the 3??
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Hmmm. You're very close, so I'm going to give you it Stuart.

Just to clear something up, Turks and Caicos Islands are actually 1 team, not 2.

4 years ago, the tiny Caribbean island of Montserrat flew half way round the world to the Buddhist kingdom of Bhutan to play a football match on the same day as the World Cup final. These were the 2 lowest ranked teams in the FIFA rankings. Despite the poor quality of football on show, 20,000 people turned up for the match. There was no sponsorship, advertisting or entrance fees and the result was irrelevant. Afterwards, both teams retired to watch the World Cup final proper. The whole thing was paid for by some Dutch businessman, and you can read more about it at http://www.theotherfinal.com ... it's quite moving, in a strictly manly fashion.

The 2 worst teams this year are Turks and Caicos, and American Samoa. However, they're not repeating this match, though i reckon it's a great idea.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Over to you Stuart!
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

Thanks Cardinal. Here's one for those that are online as i post this.

I'm thinking of an integer number between 1 and 10 inclusive. Quite simply... what is it?!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I would say 3. Because most people would think of 7, and then think that was too obvious.

Or maybe I've been watching Derren Brown too much
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

I too subscribe to a bit of Derren Brown on tv, which is why both 7 and 3 are incorrect.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

So you've gone for a less obvious number. Hmmmmmmm. 5
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

Yes, but 5 isn't it. Read the question again, there's a clue in there somewhere.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

er 10. ?
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

er... yep, 10 it is. The quiz buck passes once again back to the Cardinal.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I've still no idea why the answer is 10.

Right, can't think of any originial questions, so I'll ask this instead.

In George Orwell's 1984, the world is divided into 3 regions. What are those regions?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

lets go for heaven hell and purgatory, having never read it i don't yet know how laughably wide of the mark this is.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

UP. I am genuinely shocked. 1984 is an absolute classic.

Mark Twain once said "A classic is a book which everyone wants to have read, but nobody wants to read". .. however, this is the exception. It's scary how close it mirrors today's society. It's got a fantastic ending.. and the bit I thought would appeal to you, it actually creates a new language Newspeak, with an appendix at the end telling you how it was formed and its usage.

As for the quiz, you're not likely to guess it, but they do relate to real world places.