First ever horse racing do

Forum covering Horse Racing, Football and anything else you can do at the Betting Shop!
mjd

First ever horse racing do

Post by mjd »

its a good crack. Im also AMAZED at how quicjk them things are. You watch them zoom down the back straight and think bloomin heck thats impressive!!

But....... What is there to see? I have criticisms

1) The commentry is shite, its totally meaningless

2) The big screen is shite, its pretty much meaningless too as its so blurry you cant tell which horse is yors..

3) if your not on the winning post (which is crowded as fook) they come by for about 2 seconds, and you cant see the numbers!!

4) your horse loses almost all the time...

We were all down.. had one winner but it was the shortest price of the night. A 25-1 won the last race, which to be completely honest is a load of BS..

I will stick to watching it on TV.
boom
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

Tips

1.If you can afford it buy a members ticket: You are nearest the winning post, you can visit more areas and you get a proper pint glass.

2. Standing by the rail is a waste of time. Get a seat in the grandstand by about five minutes before the race.

3. Invest in or rent a pair of binoculars.

4. If you are standing right by the big screen you aren't going to see much. A bit like standing one inch from your tv set. I expect the blurry vision was down to the ten pints you consumed in the morning.

5. Go racing mid week. Less hassle, you get served quicker, easier to have a bet.

6. Why not bet amongst yourselves or do a sweepstake. Then the money gets redistributed and not to the bookie. Or be the bookie and take bets off of your mates. You will win long term.

7. Saturdays in Tatts has been taken over by pissheads and chavs. Avoid if possible.

8. There's a big difference to the day when you have a few winners.

:roll:
mjd

Post by mjd »

I ended about £20 down one winner from 6.. but when a 14 and a 25-1 came in thats literally no chance..

Ive been told that Haydock is miles better. The racecourse we went to (carlisle) was a bit on the flat side, and cant see much
boom
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Another tip - don't use the tote pool as its a load of bollocks! I'm yet to see any decent odds in there :x

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
JustAnotherClone

Post by JustAnotherClone »

I went to Uttoxeter the other week and i enjoyed it. You can pay extra for a ticket there so you don't have to be with the riff raff. I found the view fine from the Grandstand as Harry mentioned.
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

Only use the tote if betting outsiders. Most bookies will bet to about 106-108% books but the tote takes about 28% out of every bet so you are getting a 100/(100-2 8) % book, 139%. Don't bet each way on the tote without looking at the odds screens. A lot of 5/1 and 6/1 shots are only paying 1.30 and 1.40 a place. Nothing is better than taking bookies money though. Better still use Betfair.
nudgesuk

Post by nudgesuk »

i paid £13 to get into the chav part of hamilton but then went to the security guard at the grandstand and blagged the way in for me and my mates lol which meant we were right at the winning post well afetr barging a few people out the way lol was good but id say even being at the post aint great asthey just wiz past lol i think i only caught one of my horses in all 6 races they were goingthat fast lol id say the grandstand is the best place to be not to close and not to far. or if your me thebest view would be on the track itself lol i tell you i ran faster than half my horses did lol. great passing the finishing line though lol to the cheers from the crowd but not proud of it at the moment lol need to grow up. :roll:
itsme

Post by itsme »

going to a meeting is ace.

have a few drinks and some bets with the lads. theres nowt better.

if your a gambler then your prepared to loose.if you dont win then sod it,theres always the next race.

the atmosphere is mint.
life is like a big shit sandwich - every day we take a bigger bite
mjd

Post by mjd »

I agree.. My problem was I drove down (had no choice really) so couldn't drink.. I still enjoyed it, but was just a bity annoyed that I spent every race wondering where the hell my horse was! and still not knowing when they came by!

Check this picture out!

That is a gem!
boom
drop the lot

Post by drop the lot »

the national is the dogs atmosphere is second to non..........went 4 years running never picked a winner and loved it..........was at thirsk last saturday ended up even, spot on little course....
I love it when a plan comes together
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Agree though, its a top day out!

I went to Wetherby a month or so ago. £4 to get in, had a nice tray of pie peas and gravy, a few pints, and £50 to bet with. Came home minus most of that, but had a great day! :D

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
drop the lot

Post by drop the lot »

Can b bitter you have ur money to lose....winning is a bonus if u get carryed away and lose more than u can afford totally spoils it.......its bad enough being stuck into the fruits never mind going full flow into the horse racing........... :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:
I love it when a plan comes together