another machine
6%
haven't seen v2.0 yet
18%

Total votes: 17

Istenem

paragon v2.0

Post by Istenem »

i am not partisan but personally i think that the paragons are now better than itboxes in terms of playability, choice/variety of games, reliability and potential for mugs to fill up so decent players can make some cash.

dunno how widespread these are but the new games on v2.0 are guess who, dungeon dosh, pimp my ride, sudoku, moneycomb and some golf thing. there are still old friends like bully, HHH, STD and WU too.

aside from guess who only crediting £1 when i won £2 and it having the old version of WU (no tangible clearance bonus) it is much more playable. i know where my fifty pees will be going.
nobody ever wins on those things.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

No Monopoly Deluxe, No New Cluedo, No Millionaires, No Pub Quiz, No Prize Triple Towers - only Bullseye worth a punt and one other game which shall remain nameless since Xmas is coming and I need a wheelbarrow full of £1 coins.

I do play Paragones for entertainment and a 50p spend out of my change.

I play itboxes to win money.

Does anybody actually come away from a Paragone in profit since they took off Golden Showers?

Or is this now the forum for let's talk about how entertaining Guess Who is. And how impressive Pimp My Ride is? I find it exceptionally strange that most of the contributors on this site seem to revel in anything Paragone release when any serious pro knows they are all worthless as serious money earners.

Which begs the question - why does everybody love Paragone on Fruitchat so much? It ain't because they're winning, that's for sure.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday

Post by Guest »

I'm willing to change my mind once I've seen the new paragon but I prefer itbox. Much better choice of games, more playable, better value. I lost 3 quid in 5 minutes last time I played paragon, boring waste of money. and NO FOOTBALL CRAZY!

Anyone who claims they can make money on the itbox is deluding themselves though. :P
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

hmm. i guess it depends on what you are looking for, profit vs entertainment (timewasting, paying for your beers).
i'm by no means a pro anymore and am happy to walk out of a pub having paid for my drinks on the SWP, doesn't always work but i rarely lose more than £5. there is no way i could make as much per hour as i get paid to sit at my desk and post on fruitchat.
sometimes i play for profit but not often any more, i find the learnable and therefore winnable games very boring: wwtbam yawn, monopoly yawn, all hangmans yawn, golden boot/bling yawn.
that said i did take six months off during the halcyon days of bookworm and spelvin when i made a good few grand and another few weeks when the JP on WU was around.
i work 9-5 to pay the mortgage, feed the kids etc and play the SWP for beer tokens and i personally favour the interesting and playable games on the paragon over the tired, homogeny of itbox.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

The most you can win on the old version of Word Up (after the first few goes) is £15 an hour. [assuming £1 win = 50p profit for a 2 minute game]. The new version, you can win as much as £5 or £6 on the first go (with a big clearance, and low £1 target), but it will be shafted for future goes, so the key is to play once, win, and go elsewhere. So potentially a better £ per hour value, but in reality prob not as travelling time to the next machine is a factor.

Post by Guest »

unknownpseudonym wrote:hmm. i guess it depends on what you are looking for, profit vs entertainment (timewasting, paying for your beers).
i'm by no means a pro anymore and am happy to walk out of a pub having paid for my drinks on the SWP, doesn't always work but i rarely lose more than £5.
I'm happy when I've paid for my drinks with my winnings, but that's usually not the case. I'm sure that anyone who recorded all their winnings/losses would realise that they were losing money over all.

Post by Guest »

amullk wrote:I'm sure that anyone who recorded all their winnings/losses would realise that they were losing money over all.
No

Post by Guest »

vaginalbob wrote:
amullk wrote:I'm sure that anyone who recorded all their winnings/losses would realise that they were losing money over all.
No
OK, which game? How many games have you played, and how much money have you lost (ever)?

Post by Guest »

amullk wrote:
vaginalbob wrote:
No
OK, which game? How many games have you played, and how much money have you lost (ever)?
If I decide to go play the machines in a new location (with or without Ernest and any other team members), then I can expect to make a profit.
I don't keep detailed accounts of winnings and losses (too anal, even for me). My usual procedure - put a quid in the 'bank' ie. the back pocket, and henceforth only use money from this pocket - is enough to show me that I'm in the black (as well as give me a perfectly accurate account of profit made). I have never come out in the red from stomping around a new place and am usually able to pay for travel and food with winnings.

On our first London excursion, Ernest kept a record of winnings. I think we played around 100 games and won 75 quid, which makes a profit. And that was before Word Wall appeared on the scene.

While I was on a placement in Ipswich, I spend one week playing an hour a day after work and was able to pay for all my travel costs for the week (about 50 quid). I wasn't able to do this every week, as the games become less inclined to pay out, but I would almost always come out on top.

Considering that I seem to be the top Word Wall player (I've never seen a score that even gets halfway to my record - tho' I've heard of close efforts from A N Other Scrabble champion) and have no problems topping boards on first attempt, as well as being able to hit 1400+ non-clearances on WU and clear 50% of the time if I have to, then I should make a profit, really.
tka

Post by tka »

It is possible to win money by having discipline and only playing games that you know you're good at. You won't win a million though. It is also possible to learn some games but only until the Question bank gets updated.
My game was T-SP but I don't bother with it any more because the update is impossible.
No wonder I drink!

Post by Guest »

tka wrote:It is possible to win money by having discipline and only playing games that you know you're good at.
Z'gackly.

I'm sure that if I did my quizzing while out with friends, I would end up losing money, because I would be 1) sticking with the same machine 2) playing games that I'm crap at (Word Wall doesn't make the most compelling viewing) 3) drinking (I estimate a 100pt WU ave. score reduction per pint imbibed).