Cheating?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

Cheating?

Post by Nil Satis »

Thought it was right to start a new thread on this one...
foxy wrote:Similar problems occured with landlords wondering why their machine had been switched off but all in all it was a fairly lucrative time.
Just out of interest and to guage the moral climate-would you consider this cheating?
I wouldn't consider the method you discovered of playing Cluedo to your advantage as cheating, and I consider myself quite a moral person really. You discovered a pattern via skill and hard work and simply exploited that to the full.

Cheating for me would be mechanical intervention such as opening the front doors of cabinets, any sort of electronic device to generate credits etc. - to be fair I don't know how much of this sort of stuff actually goes on and my impression would be that it would be more rife with the fruit machines than the quizzers.

Somewhere in the grey area in between would be your trick of switching the Monopoly game on and off again. In the end that would probably count as cheating, in that you would probably feel a landlord was acting fairly in asking you to leave if he caught you doing it. Ironically one of the few tricks like this which I ever uncovered was on a really old game (as ever I can't remember the name but it was one of the early classics and it was revived in a really crummy form on the oval Gamesnets last year), where you answered 1, 2 then 3 questions to remove 'bricks' from a 'wall' with the cash question at the top of the wall. I know I should remember the name but I have some sort of selective amnesia when it comes to old quiz games...

Anyway, switching the game off and back on again after you had just answered the cash question at the top of the wall would return you to another question at the same place, thereby saving you having to answer the 6 questions required to get there. I only discovered this as I worked in the pub concerned and would switch the machine on again for a few post-work games (with the landlord's blessing) after it had been switched off to encourage the punters to leave after last orders.

This of course is different from when a machine gets 'stuck' at a particular point in a game and you switch the cabinet off and on again in the hope that your winnings/credits will still be there when it reboots. I would always feel justified in doing that and would explain as such to any roaming bouncers or landlords - sometimes necessary if the machine is set to play a short and very noisy alarm on starting up, as some older cabinets were!
Istenem

Re: Cheating?

Post by Istenem »

Nil Satis wrote:
This of course is different from when a machine gets 'stuck' at a particular point in a game and you switch the cabinet off and on again in the hope that your winnings/credits will still be there when it reboots. I would always feel justified in doing that and would explain as such to any roaming bouncers or landlords - sometimes necessary if the machine is set to play a short and very noisy alarm on starting up, as some older cabinets were!
i wouldn't say that was cheating but switching a machine off to your advantage? i'd consider that to be cheating and i dare say the publican would as well. most landlords consider their SWP to be a source of revenue, nothing more and get suspicious when someone with above-average skill wins legitimately, let alone using jiggery-pokery.
nobody ever wins on those things.