The Gush!!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
foxy

The Gush!!

Post by foxy »

Thought I'd redress the balance a little after complaining about the itbox's unfailing ability to steal a pound off you.
The following is absolutely true; played pepsi on an old-skool non-oval gamesnet and won jackpot.Hit collect and 2 quid came out and so on.Got to last 4 quid and tapped collect a few times and praise be! did the machine not completely empty the hopper.About 130 quid.The machine was in a good place and there was music on so we hurriedly scooped the cash and departed.
I really thought this was a one-off, until...
Same thing happened in a cinema-same machine same process.This time a wee woman was over like a shot and indicated that this wasn't the first time this had happened and we basically handed back most of the cash as the place has been quite a good earner.
So gentlemen and, picking up a recent thread, hopefully ladies I present you with the gush.Has anyone else experienced this thrill?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

I had the same experience on the same cabinet, foxy, at Walkabout in Reading about six months ago so I can definitely back up your story. It was a very quiet lunchtime and the pub manager overheard (he couldn't fail to really!) and as it had always been a good pub for me I explained to him that I wasn't on the fiddle and that it had just happened and that I would keep the £30 which I had legitimately won and hand the rest back to him there and then. He seemed fine with that and in fact I got the impression that it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Had it been a busy Friday night with lots of people in and loud music blaring I would of course have been presented with a much more interesting moral dilemma ...

:wink:
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Nice work chaps, though when i read the thread title, i was thinking of something else... :wink: :P :D

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
Vidmar

Post by Vidmar »

Foxy don't you play in Glasgow? Location of said machine mate? :lol:
"Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase"
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Ahh yes. These are indeed nice occurrences when they happen. I am continually finding machines which seem to pay less than I have won. However, I am also continually finding machines which pay me more than I have won, so I reckon it evens out over the years.

Old non-oval Gamesnets are particularly juicy. Many times has a bounty appeared after a cursory check. This cannot be intentional in my opinion, and must mean that some poor fool has had a win before me and not been paid.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Never happened on a quiz machine, but I have played a couple of fruit machines in arcades that decided to spurt their entire sac over me when I collected a £2 win.
foxy

Post by foxy »

Just want to be absolutely clear about this QM and others but has anyone ever been paid out too much on any occasion by an itbox?
cool

Post by cool »

I have been told why it happens by an engineer.The interior of the machine is not cleaned properly interfering with the payout mechanism.Wont happen with GN5 ..
foxy

Post by foxy »

I assume GN5 refers to Gamesnet?
The point is that if someone doesn't get paid on a gamesnet at that moment the money tends to be stuck somewhere and turns up at a later point by a comb-carrying winner.Not fair as such but at least the net amount from the machine is about right.
The itbox on the other hand seems to retain around £1 from most payouts which these days sadly means about £1 out of every £2/3 on average.
Not a bad way of increasing your profits handsomely-or is this just conspiracy spiralling out of control?
Last point-it's never £2 or £3 short it's ALWAYS £1 down.Discuss.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

foxy wrote:Just want to be absolutely clear about this QM and others but has anyone ever been paid out too much on any occasion by an itbox?
I've never as far as I can recall been paid out too much by an ItBox, although I barely ever play those any more as IMHO the selection of games and the general state of the few games that are worth playing make it not worth the bother.
grecian

Post by grecian »

foxy wrote:Just want to be absolutely clear about this QM and others but has anyone ever been paid out too much on any occasion by an itbox?
Once. I can't remember which game/s I was playing, but I think I was owed £7 or £8 and was given about £25. I scooped the money up quickly and made my exit. I have no qualms about having done so: I lose far more money in dribs and drabs over time due to faulty machines so on the rare occasions the luck's on my side I'll take advantage, thank you very much...
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Foxy - you just need a longer finger. The itbox never shorts you, the money is always up the chute. The only time they short you legitimately, they shove up an IOU message on the screen so you can get it off the gaffer.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
grecian

Post by grecian »

I agree that on ItBoxes the problem is with the mechanism in delivering moneys from the chute to the payout box. I have just about the longest fingers of anyone I know though, and even I sometimes have difficulty extricating coins. The problem is more acute on Itboxes with a central payout hole rather than the ones where the hole is on the right side of the Itbox (from the player's perspective).
davey boy

Sorry just got to this topic

Post by davey boy »

I was in a pub on Charlotte Street in Central London in 2000 and it had a Guinness Book of Records quiz machine. It was a £5 jackpot prize as I had already won £20. I duly won the fiver and the machine proceeded to pay out another £20.

Post by Guest »

Got an odd message a few days ago on an itbox - after winning £9, I pressed collect and was given not only the correct amount but also this message: 'The hopper has paid out £40 too much.' It was a shame that it hadn't. :(