Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new one

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Cardinal Sin

Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new one

Post by Cardinal Sin »

It has disappeared off the It-boxes, but thankfully - due to proliferation of Gamesnet machines round here - I can still play it.

All I want to do is to achieve the legendary 2,000 mark, then I'll probably never play it again. I've had 1998 a couple of times - and today, I managed an impressive 1660 odd non-clearance (including a SQUIRRELLING). Sadly, the makers of the jester's dictionary forgot to put PLU - or indeed ULP - into their mammoth list of words.

I've half-tempted to go down my local tomorrow - order a pint of coke - and sit there until the job's done. The only thing that is putting me off is buying coke instead of pint but I suspect it's the alcohol that has prevented me from fulfilling my (slightly sad) dream

Can any of you wordsmiths tell me how I can achieve my goal?
nw6

Post by nw6 »

I know what you mean, my record's been (a wind-assisted) 1939 for months and even that doesn't get me in the Premiership apparently :o ops:
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Ahhhh. Interesting. How exactly does one wind assist ones game?

Still, I raise my glass (can) to the folk who made this game for making a game which I'm quite happy to fire my money into without hope of recompense.
fotherz

Re: Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new on

Post by fotherz »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:Can any of you wordsmiths tell me how I can achieve my goal?
TRANQUILLIZING
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

this is the point.

Art against science.

TRANQUILLIzINGABILITINESSES is neverever :roll: going to be a word but XU is. because simpletons can find it. they are both equally irresponsible. word games should be about words not numbers and, Heaven forfend, not about money.

i would be upset if Art didn't win over science. ( 8) )

found an unBesied scrabble earlier, i won a joyless £18; gave a tenner to a tramp and he still asked for a cigarette.
nobody ever wins on those things.
roberto la vigna

Re: Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new on

Post by roberto la vigna »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:PLU - or indeed ULP
PUL is good in Word Soup, I think. :shock:
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I've no doubt it is, but I had the stark choice between PLU and ULP :(
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Update.. down my local tonight... had a tickle of Bullseye but the screen was cabbaging to the point where it was unplayable.

Word Soup was likewise afflicted with second-long pauses which didn't help. The 1 quid mark was surprisingly low (around the 1450 mark) thanks to my previous attempt to gain the double ton - and which i didn't bother posting about cos all I did was post a couple of shite scores and convince a couple of the clientele that I was a weirdo.

Anyway, first game... decent tiles but no huge words, after a lucky shuffle, I get down to having TLU in an L-shape and a quick glance at the scores tells me I'm on 1478, and all I have to do is make a word out of those 3 letters. I've not checked but surely some wordsmith has seen fit to include LUT, TUL, ULT, UTL, TLU or indeed LTU in the sowpods freeforall.

Alas, at the same time, up pops the option for me to collect a pound and it then decides to ignore my choice of continue, and instead play safe on the TLU combination and bank me a nugget instead.

Bah.
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
quizard

Post by quizard »

Properpro wrote:ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
Yeah my thoughts exactly. These long winter nights must just fly past.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

PP, quizard, why bother posting those?
self-discipline etc.
nobody ever wins on those things.
nw6

Post by nw6 »

I find it odd that the so-called pros don't play Word Up

Why is that?
cool

Post by cool »

As I think I'm the only person to actually state that I do nothing but play quiz machines on the website I'd be interested who the so called pro's are.
There are a number of reasons I'd suggest why pro's do not play word up (1)Its not a quiz game (2) It requires a special skill (3) learning word up doesnt help you with any quiz game (5) Since word up was adapted the rewards are not there (6) professionals are primarily interested in the money and not posting high scores.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Properpro wrote:ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
What!!!?!!! I feel cheated... where's the hilarious epilogue you attach to the end of every post where you remind everyone how orgasmically brilliant you are at all things quizzical - yet, slightly self-conscious that it might make you sound arrogant - alter the denouement to suit the thread topic.

Might I suggest.... "Money goes in. I'm far too busy and important to take it out" ?

You missed a trick there old boy.
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

dmac wrote:I find it odd that the so-called pros don't play Word Up

Why is that?
Because learning trivia doesn't make you intelligent.