BANNINGS FROM PUBS ONGOING NEWS

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

QuizMaster may have inside information or he may just be being mischievous but he does touch on something that has puzzled me about your story, Mr Cool, namely that you say you average twenty pubs a day for an expected win of circa £5 per pub. Now to me winning around £5 per pub isn't going to get you barred anywhere (accepting that this is an average and you will have some £10s and £20s to balance out losses or only breaking even).

On the other hand to visit that many pubs each day, even if they are all relatively close together, means that you must be in and out of some of them like greased lightning (running between them as you hinted?), and as for buying drinks, which must surely be seen by anyone with any sense as the 'entrance fee' for playing a machine in a pub, one of a few possibilities occur:

(i) you are an alcoholic (even at a half pint a pub)
(ii) you have no teeth left from all those Cokes/J20s
(iii) you are mainly buying water
(iv) you are buying something in each pub but not usually drinking it
(v) you are not buying anything

I'd say the further down that list you get to (v), the more likely you are to attract attention and if that is combined with a confrontational attitude, which certainly seems possible from your story, then barring is going to become quite likely.

I think the phrase is "A Word to the Wise"...
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

I travel around to play the AWPS and all the points raised above are very valid.

I hate buying pints as you start to smell, coke rots your teeth, I don't think buying water even counts, and only in the really busy pubs can you get away without buying anything. I just tend to buy a coke, have a sip at the bar, carry it around with me and then leave it.

I'd prefer just to pay £2 at the door and buy a drink if I actually wanted one :)

Post by Guest »

For the most 'intense' word game out there, I have to buy a coke and *horrors* actually drink some of it too, as without the caffeine kick (whether this is real or imagined) I would have trouble 'achieving what I must achieve.'
bilks

Post by bilks »

I have been worrying about Quizmasters unhealthy interest in Cools drinking and playing habits.As he seems to know his habits intimately isnt it about time for Quizmaster to come out and reveal himself in all his glory to the quiz playing world?Speak now or forever hold your piece!
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

(iii) and (iv) make it obvious you are just there to play the machine.
(v) you can get away with since they might not notice you or just ignore you assuming you will buy something later.

I sometimes just buy crisps : benefits that they are cheap, and you can take them away with you if you haven't finished. If I buy a drink usually I get a bottle of coke since again you can go at any time.

Post by Guest »

Ernest W. Quality wrote: (v) you can get away with since they might not notice you or just ignore you assuming you will buy something later.
(v) is an underrated choice - if done while confidently avoiding eye contact with the staff, it can work wonders. I find it's most effective when preceded by (vi) use of the pub toilets, thereby informing the concerned publican whyfor you shall not be needing any more liquids.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

bilks wrote:I have been worrying about Quizmasters unhealthy interest in Cools drinking ..... Speak now or forever hold your piece!
First post, hmmm, could you be posting on behalf as someone else to take on the QM ? :wink:
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Hmm. It seems my tongue in cheek post has encouraged some new posters to appear on the site. Unless it is Mr. Cool in disguise of course. Either way, new posters benefit the forum so that's 'cool' in my opinion. Ha ha.

As per Mr. Cool's drinking habits, it was bugging me that he wouldn't reveal what game he was playing to provoke such a reaction from the staff. Having asked politely, (he could've pm'd me but didn't) I still didn't know. I was 99% certain which game it was, but can't take the chance that there's another game I'm missing out on, since with deference to the wordupsters amongst you, I don't play these things for entertainment.

Barmaids expect you to buy them drinks. Barmen will suddenly become your best friend when you buy them one........................
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
quizard

Post by quizard »

QuizMaster wrote: ......I was 99% certain which game it was, but can't take the chance that there's another game I'm missing out on, since with deference to the wordupsters amongst you, I don't play these things for entertainment.
So which game is that then? :)

I agree though it must take some doing to get banned from a national chain type pub like the Litten Tree.
cool

Post by cool »

only one pub not the whole chain! As stated before the only person to come out of it with any credit (except for me)is Julian Sargeson(Managing Director).He's a good egg.Unfortunately he has been offloaded by Laurel not I fear from his handling of Cool v Litten Tree but more likely from the failed attempt by Laurel to take over M&B or Spirit (cant remember which).