Hangman 3 on the ItBox

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

Hangman 3 on the ItBox

Post by Nil Satis »

The latest version of the Itbox (48?) still has classic Hangman on it, but it has been rebranded as Hangman 3. However the only things that seem to have changed are:

(i) new button designs and fonts

(ii) it's tighter than ever to play

or have I missed some useful change in my frustration of game after game of 25-50 points and no prizes in sight (this on several different machines)?
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Was the same for me. Depressing.
grecian

Post by grecian »

dangerous wrote:Was the same for me. Depressing.
And me, thus far. Again, an illustration of Nil Satis' general thesis as to the manufacturer-driven decline in machine quality. Hangman was tried and tested, if dull - why bother changing it to make it even duller?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

talk about trying to polish a turd.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Not forgetting the other 'rebrand', namely the £1 a go version that appears on some Gamesnets, with again the only difference seeming to be that it only takes half as long to lose your cash on a succession of non-paying games!

Hangman has always been a really decent game for me in all the usual senses - you can tell when to avoid it, there aren't too many spoilers, when some cash has gone in you get a realistic chance of a decent (£5+) prize, you get the occasional useful spot prize, and so on. Now sadly it looks like just another game to cross off the ever-shortening list...
Hangmanfan

Post by Hangmanfan »

Absoultely gutted when I experienced it. Makes me think I should change username.
Which by the way applies to the Haunted House version of Hangman.

Remove category? "Erm no, remove game: Hangman 3. Thank You."
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

I agree that hangman 3 is a shoddy piece of gameplay. Its always 25-75 points, with 200000000000 needed for £1. I mean come on, that's just taking the piss. :x

Luckily i still have a really old hangman 1 here thats virtually always 200-250 point ready, with £3-£5 very possible. I just play that if i need a quiz fix :wink:
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
grecian

Post by grecian »

Mattb wrote: Luckily i still have a really old hangman 1 here thats virtually always 200-250 point ready, with £3-£5 very possible. I just play that if i need a quiz fix :wink:
Lovely. Do you own that yourself or is it in a bar? I saw one in a cinema in London a while back but it looked broken and was turned off. So frustrating. My only Hangman JP came on one of the old version 1 stand-alones. This shows the systematic destruction of a fine game over an eight or nine year period.
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

It's in a snooker club. It's one of the old bluey box shaped machines with

Cleudo
WWTBAM 1
Hangman 1
Fruitix?
Pepsi Chart Quiz
Something else

The cleudo is good too, you can actually get £5/£10 spot prizes on ? marks on that. Another fine trait that has disappeared with the sands of time...
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
grecian

Post by grecian »

Mattb wrote:It's in a snooker club. It's one of the old bluey box shaped machines with

Cleudo
WWTBAM 1
Hangman 1
Fruitix?
Pepsi Chart Quiz
Something else

The cleudo is good too, you can actually get £5/£10 spot prizes on ? marks on that. Another fine trait that has disappeared with the sands of time...
Ah yes, one of the old JPM GameBoxes. Thin on the ground nowadays but always worth a play. I think the other game could be Battleships given the rest of the line-up? Always good to see Pepsi as well (I suspect I'm not up to the average of this board on Pepsi though - I've never JPed it for instance).

You can still get occasional spot prizes from e.g. Hangman's Haunted House or Trivial Pursuit, but the trouble is that they nowadays end the game and are therefore used by the game to buy a player off if it fears a big cash prize is in the offing. I almost never take a spot prize from HHH or TP on principle.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Played one of these at lunch - as well as those noted above there was also Coronation Street and some quiz based bowling one which would have been easy I think if the screen wasnt knackered making the bowling bit impossible. Also easy £5 spot prize on the Battleships game.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

I got a £4 collect prize on Hangman 3 yesterday, so anything is possible!

(I also got 3 WU clearances in a row which has to be some sort of record, but I won't go into that here).

Also saw about 3 different CCs which were absolutely gubbed. I didn't think the good people of Paisley would have been so bright but there you are.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:Also saw about 3 different CCs which were absolutely gubbed. I didn't think the good people of Paisley would have been so bright but there you are.
Sadly you've identified the problem with the way they programmed Caveman Capers - it doesn't seem to take someone winning big (even say £10 not the JP itself) to kill the game for good. I have found it in places where I can't believe a pro would ever reach, and where most of the other likely games are in paying mode, but it has already been killed - 2000+ for £1 and 5000-6000 for the JP or even worse there is a game where £1 is at around 5500 and there aren't any prizes after that! Now I could accept that the latter mode is due to someone winning the JP but I just think the whole game has been let down by cowardly programming when it could have been a classic.

In terms of old style Hangman standalones, there's one in Preston if anyone is up that way (and doesn't mind the fact it is located right outside the Gents!). PM me if you are interested, although it would only really be for nostalgia purposes rather than big wins unless you were a complete genius at the game.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

What was / is the jackpot on Hangman? Was it £30? I only ever made £15...

As for CC, the one in my local is never above 2000 points for £1... I've never taken more than £6 out of it, partly cos of my ineptitude. However, it always seems to be in a fair mode. Maybe the trick is not to milk the golden goose (?) if you intend to play it again!
tka

Post by tka »

You can still get Hangman 2 by pressing the manager's choice button.
No wonder I drink!