The 'How much should I win' dilemma

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

The 'How much should I win' dilemma

Post by muddle »

I thought I'd share an experience from last week and I wonder what other people on here would have done.I was playing a Gamesnet in a semi-rural location which I visit every 2 months or so and it's normally quite good.I'd already collected 15/16 quid and I was having a last 50p play of Pub Quiz Fortunes,and it was actually offering 25 quid for the seventh pint.(Only the third time I've ever seen that).So,the dilemma was win it and risk both it not paying the full amount and the machine disappearing from the pub,or be more prudent and just win a few quid.I hadn't really made my mind up but then I screwed up a question so just won a fiver.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Pub Quiz Fortunes?
Caesar's Palace?
I'm starting to wonder if the machines in the south have a different array of games than up here! What's going on?
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Played plenty of Gamesnets over the last 3 years and usually in my experienced anything up to 40 quid....(Yes I know but it dosen't happen anymore with the latest update!) is usually fine as regards collecting pay out. Usually far more reliable than Paragons which become dodgy at anything approaching 20 quid.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I know the dilemma. In days gone by, when machines were much thicker on the ground, I was happy to milk them like a part-time off-spinner and play the long game. As you say, nothing makes a landlord consider whether he really needs a quiz game like an alert saying "Hopper Error / Call Engineer / That Stranger's Just Had All the Cash", and if you can just go along the road taking a quick win or two, at every pub in quick succession, and do that every few months, why wouldn't you? Unfortunately, these days there aren't enough machines in some towns to make it worth a visit without taking a bit more at every place. As for different machines, I wouldn't push a Paragon for more than £20, especially if it's got a SCEPTRE sticker somewhere on the front, but Gamesnets are more reliable for bigger wins. Maybe that's why Paragons are disappearing, Gamesnets less so.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

no dilemma, take every penny or someone else will!! sorry that applies to fruits not quizes!
Going skint....
muddle

Post by muddle »

paragoon wrote:Pub Quiz Fortunes?
Caesar's Palace?
I'm starting to wonder if the machines in the south have a different array of games than up here! What's going on?
I don't know where you are in the country paragoon,but you will have seen this game,it's on all the Gamesnets and IQuests.I think I've got the name right,it's basically a very slight reboot of an earlier game simply called Pub Quiz.I know there's been more than one game with this title,but this is the one with the charming graphics where you drain a pint when you complete a round and throw up in the toilet if you lose before the prize rounds.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Topical2009 wrote:I know the dilemma. In days gone by, when machines were much thicker on the ground, I was happy to milk them like a part-time off-spinner and play the long game. As you say, nothing makes a landlord consider whether he really needs a quiz game like an alert saying "Hopper Error / Call Engineer / That Stranger's Just Had All the Cash", and if you can just go along the road taking a quick win or two, at every pub in quick succession, and do that every few months, why wouldn't you? Unfortunately, these days there aren't enough machines in some towns to make it worth a visit without taking a bit more at every place. As for different machines, I wouldn't push a Paragon for more than £20, especially if it's got a SCEPTRE sticker somewhere on the front, but Gamesnets are more reliable for bigger wins. Maybe that's why Paragons are disappearing, Gamesnets less so.
Good reply,Topical - I particularly like the cricket analogy.I sometimes use a sporting term too to describe winning money when the machine doesn't really want you;I refer to that as 'winning against the head'.Normally I am absolutely of your mind in that if you've got a fair bit of easy cash out,then it's time to move on and not kill the golden goose as it were (sorry,gone analogy crazy here).There is an exception to that though as in what happened today:if it's someone else who has taken the easy cash very recently.I still had to extract my pound of flesh then.Whoever had been there was obviously quite good at Pointless since all the jackpots were 0.50.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

muddle wrote:I don't know where you are in the country paragoon,but you will have seen this game,it's on all the Gamesnets and IQuests.I think I've got the name right,it's basically a very slight reboot of an earlier game simply called Pub Quiz.I know there's been more than one game with this title,but this is the one with the charming graphics where you drain a pint when you complete a round and throw up in the toilet if you lose before the prize rounds.
My mistake - I am aware of this one, obviously checked it yesterday. The JP is always £4 though? But I noticed it said you could win £25 which you're kind of confirming. If this if you get the £4? Maybe I should have a closer look at the rules.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

No - the £25 JP is an extremely rare sighting but it appears at the end of the normal game, i.e. if you are very lucky the prize structure will have £25 at the end rather than the standard £4. Conversely a £1 JP is not an uncommon sight on this one.