Schoolboy errors

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

Schoolboy errors

Post by muddle »

I thought I'd try a lighter post for a change rather than one of the 'doom and gloom' variety.Despite many years of playing machines,I still make the odd schoolboy error.For example,a pub I've gone to for years had a cinema built near it around 10 years ago.Why it has never occurred to me until last week to check if it had a quizzy I have no idea.Or the pub that had a machine in the bar that I didn't know about for years while I played the one in the lounge.It hasn't got any machines now.Sorry,slipping back to doom and gloom,there!
So,I wondered if anyone would like to admit to making silly mistakes or oversights from the past.I will start the ball rolling.I didn't used to play Hex magic much,but Hex Appeal with the pound a play option was useful.I have a habit of never bothering with reading the instructions and piling straight in,so if you remember it used to make a spooky noise and lights in the bottom right hand corner would flash from time to time,and if you pressed there,it gave you a bonus of either free letters or some lives back.I had no idea about this for a ridiculous length of time (more than a 1000 plays I would have thought),I used to watch it do that and think it was just part of the atmosphere of the game or something.In fact I only found out when I was waiting for a group of people to finish on the machine and I saw them do it.Memo to self from that day on has been to at least have a cursory look at the instructions.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Not so much a schoolboy error, more a hidden feature, but the day a landlord showed me how to turn down the volume on the last edition of the Paragon was like being initiated into the secrets of the Illuminati. Had I known before, I'd have drawn a lot less attention to myself over the previous months...
grecian

Post by grecian »

Back in my playing days (first time I've typed that, but it's basically true), I made both of these errors (failing to spot gameplay features and failing to check venues properly) and no doubt many more.
fatbloke

Post by fatbloke »

grecian wrote:Back in my playing days (first time I've typed that, but it's basically true), I made both of these errors (failing to spot gameplay features and failing to check venues properly) and no doubt many more.

When I had spectre keys I completely forgot about quizers!!!
JG

Post by JG »

Naughty, very naughty.

I remember checking the Rupert Brooke in Rugby for p1 dials. Somehow I overlooked the p1 dial quite near to the bar. Well I didn't overlook it, I noted it as a Walk of Wealth. Wasn't until I bumped into another player about a month later in the Shipleys and he asked if I'd been to The Rugby Tavern or Rupert Brooke that I checked the dates and realised my oversight. Duuuur.

Add to that the catalogue of not checking back rooms, function rooms being a blind dingbat and other totally useless incompetent stuff.
JG
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Similar to Muddle's post, playing Pints make Prizes for a good year and not realising when it lights up in the bottom right hand corner that fills in some of the letters.

The amount of times I was a letter or two off winning a fiver or something and not realising it was lit up.....
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

I used to ignore the similar help feature on NUTS until I read it on here.
cool

Post by cool »

I used to watch the scantily clad models on NUTS and milk it for all I was worth.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Last night,after a long day (getting my excuse in there) I had the following question: 'Where do Hull City play their home games?' My answer: 'The KFC stadium' lol.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Couple of years ago a mate was with me playing MOTD-Road to Glory if anyone remembers that. Basically Pints Make Prizes but had to name obscure footballers names and clubs. Loved it and won a bit on it.

Anyway....1-2 when I was trying to fill in the first name of a player and it had 5 letters he'd shout out "Steve" and then when we played Pints (and the first name was never Steve lol) so it became a bit of a running joke and indeed even got shouted out at random intervals at his Birthday night a few weeks later!