Newbie looking for advice

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

muddle wrote:Ok,here's my considered take on this.By 'considered' I probably mean overly influenced by having had quite a bad day with machines either being off,not accepting coins,or the screen not working properly,but here goes: In 2010,I was doing fine and from what I could tell,despite there being a dodgy economic picture overall,a reasonable amount of money was being put in the machines by Joe Public.The effects of A,B and D were probably growing ever more significant but as yet unnoticed by me.Then G happened,and the industry didn't react very well to this,became too worried about F and made some bad decisions which has certainly made C more significant and probably E as well.
The one little ray of hope I have is,that considering how likely Joe Public is to have a bad experience when playing a machine (or attempting to),due to the factors above,it's quite surprising that anyone is still playing them.Maybe there's a bit of affection for the old quiz machine from the British public,and perhaps with some sensible decisions from the industry,the current trend could be reversible.Well,I'd like to think so anyway.
The popular games based on TV shows are still being played regularly.

Whenever I'm in a pub and not actually playing, I'll look over my shoulder and see DOND or Pointless usually being player so demand is still there I think for people to put a few quid in if it's a well publicised game from the tele. So I'd suggest more games to be based on shows particularly sport so for example maybe games based on Question of Sport and Soccer Saturday perhaps?

Might be just me but dosen't seem Pints make Prizes gets played as often. It has survived the cull that games like Match of the Day and Pub Quiz seemingly haven't but if that goes I will be in the retirement home!
muddle

Post by muddle »

JG wrote:Which of these killed the quiz machine?

A) Smartphones
B) Consumer trends
C) Poor game design
D) The decline in the pub trade
E) Poor machine maintenance
F) Pro Players
G) The 2010 SWP regulations
In the spirit of today,I am casting my final vote on this,and I'm being one of those last minute waverers that the politicians have been so keen to get on side.Yesterday,I had a machine where the screen wasn't working at all,one where it was slightly offset,another machine where the money fell straight through and they'd blocked up the note slot and another where my winnings got stuck in the chute and despite my best attempts to reach it with finger,pen and car keys (whilst attracting a suspicious stare from a local) I couldn't get it all out.And all this was before mid-day.So I'm voting E.I wonder in how many cases did the landlord make the final decision to remove the quiz machine due to the hassle of its unreliability.I suspect it was quite a few.Ok,off to cast my vote somewhere else.Now,which candidate was promising a quiz machine in every pub...?
JG

Post by JG »

All of them if they can have your vote. Otherwise monster raving looney is probably your best bet, they might even put quiz machines in other equally unlikely areas.
JG
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I would definitely vote for any candidate who promised to bring Inquizitors back to Burger King. Even better than Wetherspoon's when you wanted to make an early start to a day on the machines.
JG

Post by JG »

Did you ever get heat for not buying a burger?
JG
muddle

Post by muddle »

A couple of months ago,for the first time in ages,I found a quiz machine in a takeaway (well,more of a sandwich shop).I thought about going in and buying a sandwich to play it but decided not to bother.I walked past the shop last week and it's been replaced by a bandit predictably!
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

muddle wrote:A couple of months ago,for the first time in ages,I found a quiz machine in a takeaway (well,more of a sandwich shop).I thought about going in and buying a sandwich to play it but decided not to bother.I walked past the shop last week and it's been replaced by a bandit predictably!
Happened to me a year or so ago. Found a stand alone Pepsi Chart Quiz in a kebab shop. Went in and ordered something that would take a while to make. Won the JP.
Next time I went back there it was gone sadly.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

JG wrote:Did you ever get heat for not buying a burger?
Not that I remember (in fairness to my memory, we're talking about events of 26 years ago); actually, I suspect I may have been quite happy to eat their addictive bacon double cheese. Screens were often a bit greasy, mind.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

paragoon wrote:Happened to me a year or so ago. Found a stand alone Pepsi Chart Quiz in a kebab shop. Went in and ordered something that would take a while to make. Won the JP.
Next time I went back there it was gone sadly.
[JG edit: - Blatant troll comment removed. A line was crossed. The next part of your post which I've left unedited is pretty cheeky as well, but without snide sarcastic digs this wouldn't be Fruitchat would it?]

seriously, you lot can fucking whine for britain! so what, the game's up? were you all on 6 figure salaries or something?
Going skint....
muddle

Post by muddle »

bubbles wrote:[JG edit: - Blatant troll comment removed. A line was crossed. The next part of your post which I've left unedited is pretty cheeky as well, but without snide sarcastic digs this wouldn't be Fruitchat would it?]

seriously, you lot can fucking whine for britain! so what, the game's up? were you all on 6 figure salaries or something?
Do decimal places count? lol.No,I've never won that much,wouldn't rule out that somebody may have made that in the odd year though if they travelled a lot.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

lol that first part was meant as a joke based around an exaggeration of the stereotypical image many have of quiz machine players!
Going skint....
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Frankie Boyle is my favourite comedian, overstepping the mark is half the point?! ;)
Going skint....
JG

Post by JG »

Now why doesn't that surprise me? You'd have been barred three times over on Jackpotty for that comment!

Give me Kevin Bridges any day of the week. Just as sharp but far less caustic and cringey (imho).
JG
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

lol you are right there jg, only i didn't say anything at all remotely controversial or out of order over there! didn't really even get warned here! i guess that's like winning some of a brains session back! ;)
Going skint....
muddle

Post by muddle »

Your comment (whatever it was,though I think I can have a fair guess lol) would have been taken in the right spirit bubbles.After all fruit machine players don't have the best stereotypical image either - I'm thinking some scruffy kid in a baseball cap or hoodie threatening anyone with violence who tries to play 'their' machine!
More seriously though,I do think machine players might as well carry a flashing neon sign around - I was in a pub the other day playing the quizzy,these 2 lads came in,I caught one of them's eye for a second,and in that short fraction of time,I knew they'd come to play the bandit and they'd sussed me too.Perhaps it's surprising we all don't get barred from everywhere!