Favourite games from times gone by

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

Favourite games from times gone by

Post by muddle »

I don't know what other people think about playing quiz machines,but as well as more money coming out than going in,I also like the game to be enjoyable too.For example,while I could win some money on The Chase,it could get a little tedious wading through ridiculous spoiler after spoiler.So,I was wondering which games people liked (and would maybe like to see return) because they were fun to play,not necessarily the ones that were super-profitable.Here are some I enjoyed:
Caveman Capers: I know some people were really good at this,I would only win if it was in a generous mood.However it was good fun swinging the club and seeing how far it went! There's been a few copycat versions of this,and later games have lessened the fun of that by only allowing a limited number of distances.A mistake in my view,I had a couple of conversations with people who knew they weren't going to have a big win,but wanted to get the alltime distance record.
Fantasy Football Quiz: A great idea and a marvellous game which judging by leaderboards always seemed popular.I don't know how expensive the various copyrights were that were needed for this game,but I would have loved to have seen this game updated every season.
Mark my words: Remember this? It was only on the Paragons for a while.My mother was doing a wordsearch the other day where you had to answer trivia questions first,then find the word in the grid,and it reminded me of this game,where that was the basic idea.
I will post some older games later,but now I am off for a Christmas drink.Merry Christmas,one and all.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

It's really hard to disassociate the game from the prize. There was a great pop quiz on the old itboxes a couple of years ago where the prize was £20.
Currently Pints Make Prizes is the most satisfying to play. I don't know why. Pointless is great but tedious.
NUTS is probably the least boring.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Afraid I go back a VERY long way but my all-time favourite games are:-

PACMAN,

Suit Pursuit

The original monopoly (10 move version)

The original Cluedo

I agree about it being hard to divorce a like for a machine from its scale of profit but I'd say my most lucrative machines were Adders and Ladders and latterly The Royle Family but they were not enjoyable in any sense of the word to play...
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

As above, probably not a coincidence that the game I enjoyed the most was Every Second Counts, from which I also took a lot of money. Mind you, I took plenty from Inquizitor and that could be incredibly tedious; while Ten Quid Grid was a real test of nerve, if occasionally frustrating as a result. Also Wize Move, which was fun to play, but also liked to jerk you around if you were winning too much.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Yes,I would certainly agree with you about Every Second Counts being enjoyable to play,I would like to see some 'time pressure games' being introduced now.Radio Times was another one I enjoyed (and was lucrative admittedly,I agree that's a factor when it comes to enjoyment),another good feature of Radio Times is that you were guaranteed 18 questions.Again I would like to see a current game where punters knew they were going to get a decent amount of questions for their money.The original 10 move Monopoly might get my vote as the most significant quiz machine game ever as at that time I seem to recall the quiz machine future was a little uncertain and that machine proved so popular with the punters.It was also fun to play and could be extremely lucrative.I always wondered at the time about the 'Go back 3 spaces' feature.Was it a slight error in programming,or was it absolutely as planned to encourage the average punter there was a chance of a decent win once they became aware of the tactic? Or did the person who programmed the game put it in so he could have the odd win? Whatever it was,it was useful at the time!
JG

Post by JG »

I always used to think standalone Hangman and Coronation Street gave the average punter a fair chance at winning a pint or two.
JG
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

JG wrote:I always used to think standalone Hangman and Coronation Street gave the average punter a fair chance at winning a pint or two.
Well it had Fred Elliott!!
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

muddle wrote:Yes,I would certainly agree with you about Every Second Counts being enjoyable to play,I would like to see some 'time pressure games' being introduced now.Radio Times was another one I enjoyed (and was lucrative admittedly,I agree that's a factor when it comes to enjoyment),another good feature of Radio Times is that you were guaranteed 18 questions.Again I would like to see a current game where punters knew they were going to get a decent amount of questions for their money.The original 10 move Monopoly might get my vote as the most significant quiz machine game ever as at that time I seem to recall the quiz machine future was a little uncertain and that machine proved so popular with the punters.It was also fun to play and could be extremely lucrative.I always wondered at the time about the 'Go back 3 spaces' feature.Was it a slight error in programming,or was it absolutely as planned to encourage the average punter there was a chance of a decent win once they became aware of the tactic? Or did the person who programmed the game put it in so he could have the odd win? Whatever it was,it was useful at the time!
If I remember correctly the 10 move Monopoly was the first game to employ touch screen technology. Bizarrely at first I thought I might struggle to keep up with Chance/Community Chest. The Go Back Three Spaces seemed incredibly generous-especially when it often gave it AFTER you'd already won significant money....
cp999

Post by cp999 »

JG wrote:I always used to think standalone Hangman and Coronation Street gave the average punter a fair chance at winning a pint or two.
Not if they had been done properly :)
dog section

Post by dog section »

the nude ladies on spot the difference
k9-sec.co.uk
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

The word search one with "fruitchat regulars" as a topic
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

There was a game called Going For Gold on itbox about 8 years ago I loved. Can barely remember what it was now... �� tv times was fun, so was Mousetrap... Actually let's just bring back itbox !
dog section

Post by dog section »

nude ladies on spot the difference on old megatouch
k9-sec.co.uk
dog section

Post by dog section »

did i mention nude spot the difference.
k9-sec.co.uk
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

dog section wrote:did i mention nude spot the difference.
Wish I'd been around for that. Some of the lasses on NUTS are quite fit. Especially the one on the stairs. And the one in camo gear.