Quiz

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Is it the Ind:e Cluedo game, i.e. the standard one rather than the short-lived one from a couple of years back where the moves were laid out round a circle? The only times I've ever JP'ed this were quite recently and both came out of the blue, i.e. rather than getting all eight rooms and 'forcing' the JP, it gave it to me after only two or three rooms.
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

To be honest, Caveman Capers isn't a bad shout. It is on the particular cabinet I was playing.

It may surprise Grecian, but due to limited availability, I have never actually JP'd Caveman Capers. I did get £15 once. It sits at number 85 on my all-time list a few places below Hangman's Haunted House!

Due to my location, there are probably a few glaring omissions from my SWP CV. I would not say that the particular game I am referring to is one of them as it was available on most platforms. You may infer from this that the jackpot on this game was probably only available once in a blue moon and there happened to be a blue moon the other day.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Bloody hell, man - the suspense is killing us! ;-)

You do also realise that, now you have revealed its existence, you are going to have to post that All Time Top 100 as well (I assume it stops at 100, unless you have ranked every game you have ever played!).
cp999

Post by cp999 »

1 vs 100? Obviously winning the 20 on this is fully dependent on the game being stuffed to the gills and thus it's possible to have never won it.
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

1v100 (number 11 on the all-time list) is another good shout, and I also have won just one jackpot on it. I think I viewed that as a similarly momentous occasion that I posted about that on here too.

Nil - it goes to 185 - every game I've ever played where I have won £4 or more on a single game. I've often thought of revealing the existence of my list as I'm sure there would be plenty interested on here. Maybe one day I shall release a redacted version.

We could always start a new thread to see how many of the 185 games everyone could name.......
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Golden Boot II?
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

You're right about people being interested in your list - I thought I was quite meticulous in my record-keeping, but this sounds at a different level! (While I was having a clear out earlier this year, I found a random list of some of the London machines I was playing regularly in 1993; what really surprised me was that I can't now remember ever going to some of the places on the list, though I guess I must have done; proof that if you don't write this stuff down, it fades away...)
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Could it just be a simple case of DOND? £20s were rare as rocking horse sh*t on this IIRC.
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

But is it cp999 or Northern Monkey........

Often the most simple things are overlooked, as has been the case here. It is indeed a simple case of DOND (original version).

Although cp999 earns a commendation for identifying yet another machine with a single jackpot. Golden Boot II comes in at 131 on the list, but does have that one £20 win to boost it up the rankings. I definitely posted about that one on here when it happened.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Wow. Certainly I never got a £20 on DOND although I think I was told of a couple of times it had happened to people. Nor on 1v100 (or Golden Boot II!)
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

Some glaring omissions on your own CV there, grecian!

I needed 11,000 points for the endgame, something I had seen maybe twice before. I reckon you could count the number of times that I have had the £20 box in the last two on one hand. To be honest, I never knew how the endgame worked and whether it was "fixed" or not. I think there was quite a long thread about it on here at the time. I did find that swapping for £10 appeared to work more often than not, when it gave you that option. I did swap for the £20 box when I won it.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

If the game is not fixed, of course you should always swap when down to the last 2 boxes given the opportunity - the box you didn't pick has a higher % of being the target prize.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
JG

Post by JG »

My brain is tired. Does The Monty Hall Problem transcend the parameters of DOND?

After all, in the Monty Hall problem the other 'box' is more likely to be the star prize, but in Dond you are not bettering your 1/21 by swapping as you have no 'host' putting in a likely jackpot box for you to swap, you do the eliminations yourself.
JG
grecian

Post by grecian »

I don't think Monty Hall logic applies to DOND.
quizard

Post by quizard »

I think we discussed this before: showthread.php?1624-The-Monty-Hall-problem