Favourite Quiz machine game ever??

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Drpepper

Favourite Quiz machine game ever??

Post by Drpepper »

Just wondering what your favourite machine is, for profit or just the fun of playing it... it's your job to interperate.

Mine is either the new Crystal maze, with that end game alone making it worthy of a place in my heart, nothing like twatting the hell out a quiz machine screen with about 5 other people whilst trying to hold a pint and looking like a total idiot infront of hundreds of people.(i recall the first time i embarked on it was when my brother came to stay, we were both just tapping the screen in a retarded manner, we just took a look at eachother, stopped and just pissed ourselves laughing.)

But my actual fave for profit is one i hadnt seen for a good 6 months until tonite, the old bullseye, where you need 201/301/401 for £1... well this one had 301 @ £2, so i was quite pleased with mesel. It's in the UCG cinema middlesborough for anyone that may be close, theres probably some other old gems too but im not really quizzed up on SWP's enough to comment(allthough strike it lucky was a good laugh also.) So that paid for my cinema ticket, which was handy as the film turned out to be a pile of shite.

So cmon people what's your fave...
taps

Post by taps »

trivia for dummies :wink:
tka

Post by tka »

For me the best game ever was Golden Showers, no contest.
No wonder I drink!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

For sheer indefatigaprofitability, probably the short-lived Countdown quiz machine, which was easier than getting drunk.

But for enjoyment and usually some profit, one of the old reincarnations of The Crystal Maze or Telly Addicts.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

spelvin has got to be hard to beat (or should that be easy to beat?)
nobody ever wins on those things.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

As mentioned on another thread, nothing can beat the pleasure of getting a difficult 6 in 12 from Doc a Doodle aka Pepsi Chart quiz...
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

For long term consistent payouts and general 'fairness', Millionaire would take some beating, particularly in its rarer versions - £40 Jackpot, 1 and 2 player mode etc. Which reminds me - did anyone on here ever win BIG on the version that appeared in a few arcades where three machines were linked together and the Jackpot was several hundred quid? I always found the spoilers got impossible after around 64,000 points.

However for sheer intellectual pleasure in playing, I'm with the Cardinal - the old Countdown game would win for me. There were two flavours of it, one with the words pre-defined and the other where you had to find words yourself, getting time bonuses for 5+ letters. It was like the challenge of Word Up with the bonus of regular £20 payouts. Happy days!
foxy

Post by foxy »

I would tentatively put forward Beat the Clock.A solid £40 jackpot requiring a glorious mixture of skill and nerve.
For those who never figured it out, the key was to chuck money into it and not answer any of the questions.This naturally marked you out as some sort of pyscho to any innocent on-looker as they desperately encouraged you to at least hit a button.This, however, is the only game I can think of that saved your passes and try agains and sporadically added to them.How anyone planned to get the 80 or so secs. needed to win with 2 try agains I've no idea but if you happily chucked £5-£30 quid in doing nothing you could approach the maximum starting set-up of 15 passes and 15 try-agains,thus allowing yourself a reasonable chance.
Figuring that out took a modicum of skill and obviously there were a lot of questions to answer but the nerve bit really kicked in when you'd put 30 bucks in in the knowledge you were going to get 1 chance at using your ammunition to go for the jackpot.
As a small aside it once took me 75 quid to get enough try agains for the jackpot.
Beat the Clock(unusual in having no known nickname!) never had the sheer cash payout bonanza of crystal maze(versions 1-3),trivial pursuit(original version),stand-alone cluedo or monopoly,strike it rich/lucky,golden showers(a.k.a.free money)or the good old pepsi chart quiz but the challenge and excitement(oh that multi-coloured flashing jackpot screen!) of actually winning out of BTC was pretty hard to beat.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Foxy

You have actually highlighted the key way to spot a pro, namely the willingness to lose deliberately, even several times, to gain an advantageous position. When you play the games a lot, you need to be able to let bad games go, even if it's just for preventing tedium! For example I never play a 'bad' Hangman game - three prizes of 25-50 points and no money in sight - as it is almost always not worth the effort to play it, and a good game will sometimes then appear the next time.

This is one of the factors I don't like about so many of the newer games, e.g. Monopoly - as there's no way of telling a playable from a non-playable game or, even worse, there is no such thing as a playable game, you can't gain any edge by being prepared to 'lose' a few 50ps (usually to the bemusement of any onlooking punters!).

You have however reminded me of an old game which gave a real satisfaction for getting to the Jackpot. It started with firing arrows at hot air balloons, then continued onto (I think) WW1 biplanes and then finished with space ships. No idea what it was called but I always really enjoyed that one!
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

Here's another key way to spot a pro - whoever can remember the name of that game.
tka

Post by tka »

foxy wrote:This, however, is the only game I can think of that saved your passes and try agains and sporadically added to them.
My Maygay SuperClue does this. At the moment I have 8 passes and 8 Reveal Answers 8)

But I'm trying to work out the easiest it will go before offering JP on spots (130 quid so far)
No wonder I drink!
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

I enjoyed Cluedo myself. Bit obvious sometimes when it didn't want to pay, but a nice play I thought.
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

Never failed to do well out out IACGMOOH, but for pure enjoyment SAd has to be my winner. Both fairly recent games, you'll notice.
Still kicking about.
stevenpanik

Post by stevenpanik »

Istenem

Post by Istenem »

someone has got emself a bargain there
nobody ever wins on those things.