Eggheads

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Topical2009

Eggheads

Post by Topical2009 »

Anyone else seen this? Format like the programme - you have to answer questions to win / draw with your choice of Egghead in order to get through to the final round, and if you beat one, he/she is eliminated; in the final round you play for a cash pot which is already known (the pot I saw was £3 and it seems to grow by 10p a game if, like me, you don't win - no idea how big that gets before it decides it wants to pay out).

Not a very exciting concept on the face of it (I played it on a silenced Paragon, so it might have hilarious banter to keep you amused while you're playing it). I don't know if the Eggheads have weaknesses based on real life so that your choice of who to face matters, but I avoided facing Kevin anyway, because choosing him seemed likely to guarantee that the computer wouldn't get any wrong. That said, I got into the final quite easily and then found that a) the questions suddenly got about ten times harder and b) whadya know, the Eggheads got everything right.

I guess it was inevitable that the show would end up being a game, even if it's not a very inspiring one. Can't see it being a must-play because of the excitement, but presumably the fact that it's up front about the current size of the jackpot gives a big clue to whether it's worth playing for the cash, if that's your only reason for playing.
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Haven't seen the game, but I hate them smug smegheads on the TV show.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Played it last week. Tedious. So tedious it beats you by getting you so bored you forget what you're doing and look out the window of the pub.
Seriously - first impression is its another None Of The Above.
Maybe John Major took up a sideline of designing these games after he retired from politics?
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Maybe John Major took up a sideline of designing these games after he retired from politics?
:lol:
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

paragoon wrote:Played it last week. Tedious. So tedious it beats you by getting you so bored you forget what you're doing and look out the window of the pub
Excellent description, Mr. Paragoon - I had my first experience of this abomination today and got knocked-out by Daphne, who seems to know more about Leeds Utd managers past/present than I do (despite appearing to be a harmless tea-towel-wielding old lady).

Cashpot on £3.60.
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
masterful

Post by masterful »

played this yesterday........boring, tedious.......another one on my NOT TO PLAY list!
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

But surely just a Q&A; what's to be expected? The smug eggn*bs saying how great you are on the game when playing? It is what it is. Or are you saying it just can't be mugged?
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

The sound of silence...
ROSSKEEN

Post by ROSSKEEN »

I actually DESPISE Daphne with a passion.

KEVIN - Knows his stuff. Not smug with it, but blatantly very knowledgeable.

CJ - Clever, somewhat arrogant especially with the facial expressions, but again usuallly knows his stuff.

BUT DAPHNE. AAARGHHH!!!!!!

Every episode plays the "I'm a doddery old fool" card, when she blatantly isn't.

"Daphne, who scored the most goals for Accrington Stanley in the 1972/73 season?"

Ooooh, er, I'm afraid I don't know anything about football. But ehm I'll eliminate option B and go for C.

"Correct"

Cue some acting all surprised.
Mat Ingram

Post by Mat Ingram »

masterful wrote:played this yesterday........boring, tedious.......another one on my NOT TO PLAY list!
It looks like someone is in desperate need of a big hug. :wink:

Come on big fella, come to me. There there, have the nasty games been calling you names?
Bad games!

There you are. You go and dry your eyes.
Show me more.....
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Whey heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Yes, this game is shit.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

I'm confused by this game. Made it through rigged first part onto the spoilerooni second game- for the record, questions on Space Shuttle module parts and how many FIFA ranking points Mexico had in 2002- but clearly didn't read the rules properly.

Am I right in thinking this game has one payout and one only ie the jackpot? How on earth does it try to conform to the usual 30% rule? If, lets say the jp was showing as £4.00 and it won't pay it out until it reaches £10.00, At 10p increments a game it will only be 60 losing games later ie £30 on, that there is a hope of winning anything.

What reasonable casual sober punter (ie me) is seriously gonna sit there playing this, without a sniff of a win in the meantime to stimulate interest?
j2k7311

Post by j2k7311 »

I had a go on this the other day... I found the format a bit boring and Jeremy's vocabulary seemed to have been reduced to only one word -"correct". That being said I didn't think it was awful.

As for the payout, I saw a monetary value besides one of the egghead icons in the first part of the game where you play one of them head to head over 5 questions - I think this was a mini-win as the amount was then deducted from the final pot. Could be wrong though?
shellsuitwarrior

Post by shellsuitwarrior »

I played this for the first time with my dad today.

Wasn't the most inspiring game ever (and I've never seen the TV show so I can't say how much of a difference the various characters made).

It was pretty tough in the final round - but that didn't stop us walking away with £9.20 after spending 50p.

So I have to say that, today (and probably only for today), it's my favourite game.