solving rubik's cube

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

solving rubik's cube

Post by Istenem »

this is definitely a skill; a cerebral skill which might or might not benefit from a certain amount of short-term memory. but bollocks to all that: wow!

apparently some dutch fella solved a 3x3 cube in 000007.08* seconds. now that is a skill which deserves a prize.

seven seconds? it takes me longer than that to decide whether to scratch my arse or my bollocks.

* yes, yes. bad joke, i know.
nobody ever wins on those things.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

7 seconds is on the brink of believable. :shock:

back in the day when these things first came out ,i was 12 btw,i could do it in under 45seconds.

i could get a few seconds off that but if i tried to go faster my cube would come apart.......i had a snide one of the market lol.

i remember at the time a guy who was shown on the news doing it in under 20 seconds and he was heralded as the don.

the guy who does it in 7 must have some kind of special adapted cube methinks it ,it would have to be aligned perfectly to avoid ripping it to bits at that speed.

i tried to do one again recently with limited success as i have long since forgotten a couple of the moves.best part of 2 hours later twas done :|

dunno how the new champ does his(i assume he has a different method but it must be way more complex if he does) but i used to do one face with edges first ,then bottom corners followed by bottom side and edges.

that left 4 pieces max to do as the middle squares of each remaining side would automatically be correct. one simple move would either complete the cube or leave two pieces left to do,the last move was about a dozen twists itself iirc .

i used to be able to do the full range of puzzles that were brought out ,the cylinder and pyramid were completely different techniques and much easier to master ,the hexagonal version was also easy with the benefit of standard cube knowledge and one or two new moves .

there was another shape that was just the cube with the corners sliced off at angles and that too was hardly anymore complex.

i never did try the 4 by 4 version that came out some years after. i imagine it would be no t much harder though until almost complete.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jI_zjWssn2g?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jI_zjWssn2g?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

that was with a much better cube than my early 80's model lol.not sure of authenticity though.
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

And this is in the Quiz Machine section because?
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

because we can?
gambogaz1

Post by gambogaz1 »

I always struggled with the cube.

Does anyone remember the Rubicks Clocks ??

Now that I did fully master, I could do that in around 10 seconds or so.
betchrider wrote:You go upto a bird and grab her quim and say "im gonna knock the fuck outta this" and see what happens
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

i can remember the clock, but only after googling it lol.
cool

Post by cool »

did anybody have success (other than Quizmaster) with the Rubiks Cube quiz that came out a couple of years ago?
quizard

Post by quizard »

kingzilla wrote:And this is in the Quiz Machine section because?
The same reason people walk on the grass when there is "Don't Walk On Grass The Sign", or piss in the the street when they know it is socially unacceptable.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

i looked through a load of youtube videos a year or so back about rubix cube..

they just look at it for a few seconds then do it without even thinking about it..

the ones they use are indeed a 'competition' standard cube, with bearings and metal innards... a guy i know has one and he said it cost a fortune, iirc it came from canada and cost about £170, they also sell them in our local pound shop!! (for a pound)
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Spyder wrote: our local pound shop
another of my favourite games is smuggling a pen into the pound shop and drawing another line on the barcode. when doris on the checkout gets all confused that it won't scan, i say "i think it's a pound" and everyone falls about laughing. especially the old dear who goes in there to buy a cheapo toy for her cat which died four years ago.
nobody ever wins on those things.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

:lol:
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

I could complete Grandstands Astro wars
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
harry2

Post by harry2 »

I could do the original Rubik's cube whilst at school; only after my mates little brother taught me. Get stuck now after getting one side and one row all correct. Everyone I knew owned one, that Hungarian guy must have made a fortune. Then just like AWP's and SWP's all the copies and clones came out.
Roulette free since December 2011.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

It's always good to see the Moderators abusing their hard earned status.
Deleting posts that they don't like, leaving the ones they do...

The freedom of the press is only true for those with enough money to own a press.
Oh, I'm so scared.