Paragon Scam - Help Needed

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Ricster

Paragon Scam - Help Needed

Post by Ricster »

Hello, and sorry to annoy people with my first post.

Im looking for help regarding an incident at my place of work today where a scammer was caught defrauding a Paragon Games Warehouse machine.

I've been looking since 3pm for info on the net about this scam, but have come up short, so i thought i'd give a forum a try.

Its to do with unplugging the lead at the back of the machine and then doing something as the machine loads up.

Any info or direction to this would be gratefully recieved and would be handy in convicting someone of the crime that has been comitted.

I understand this will sit uncomfortably with some people as gamblers always look to gain advantages where they can. I certainly do with the horses :wink:

Thanks for your time

Ric
BigEd

Re: Paragon Scam - Help Needed

Post by BigEd »

Ricster wrote:Hello, and sorry to annoy people with my first post.

Im looking for help regarding an incident at my place of work today where a scammer was caught defrauding a Paragon Games Warehouse machine.

I've been looking since 3pm for info on the net about this scam, but have come up short, so i thought i'd give a forum a try.

Its to do with unplugging the lead at the back of the machine and then doing something as the machine loads up.

Any info or direction to this would be gratefully recieved and would be handy in convicting someone of the crime that has been comitted.

I understand this will sit uncomfortably with some people as gamblers always look to gain advantages where they can. I certainly do with the horses :wink:

Thanks for your time

Ric

This sounds like you've been hit by the scummers with the probe thing. They have a device that connects to the wiring loom and sends a message to the hopper to dump the contents. This was mainly being done to the AWPs, but they have moved on to the Quizzers too.

Best bet is if you find someone doing this, take the device off them, take them to their car and make them hand over all the money they have, and then kick the living shit out of them.

Just my thought
Oh, I'm so scared.
cool

Post by cool »

see my thread below.raised issue about paragon (latest edition) when I and a friend noticed them being completely emptied when after winning only the money put in as credits came out.The vulnerabilty of machines has changed over time.Initially it was the tubes with people 'drilling', then the weakness became the point at which the winnings were delivered with various tools being inserted into the machines and now the software has become the target,the programmes being in the main sophisticated under normal play to prevent multiple wins and yet not so great at preventing fraudulent activity and manipulation.There is some evidence of this that publicans are aware of this as I tend to get interrogated when I switch a machine off and on to reboot a faulty machine.My advice to publicans is to tape the plugs to the sockets and make sure the machines are flush to the wall and to have a switch behind the bar to control it.
Intersting to know your pub and location.
also see my earlier thread about the 'christmas tree' strategy to reset a particular game for multiple jackpots although there is some dispute as to whether the affect actually exists.
cool

Post by cool »

'Best bet is if you find someone doing this, take the device off them, take them to their car and make them hand over all the money they have, and then kick the living shit out of them'

or if youre me keep mum and shit yourself whilst they are in the pub

the problem is there probably are not severe enough penalties for people that are caught fiddling machines......has anybody ever gone to prison for doing it, I doubt it.
cool

Post by cool »

'Im looking for help regarding an incident at my place of work today where a scammer was caught defrauding a Paragon Games Warehouse machine.

Any info or direction to this would be gratefully recieved and would be handy in convicting someone of the crime that has been comitted'

or are you trying to find out how to do the scam yourself :wink:
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

I agree with you Cool, the post skinks ( of what, i am unsure, but it aint chanel!)
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
Ricster

Post by Ricster »

Seriously guys. I work as a security supervisor in a shopping centre. If you need the address its The Loreburne Shopping Centre, High St, Dumfries.

What the lad was doing was switching the machine off and when the windows sign came up he was dragging it to the bottom of the screen. This seemed to give him free credits, whether he did other things while the machine reloaded the camera footage isn't clear. But when it had eventually loaded he had credits.

Me and my colleague watched him for over 20mins before police were called and the male was detained.

I was looking for some kind of literature to be able to give to police so they have the scam on paper and on dvd. They would compliment each other.

Sorry for causing any suspicion.
dmac

Post by dmac »

xyz
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Why don't you contact Games Warehouse, to see if they can help?

http://www.gwhl.co.uk

Technical Support Direct Line
Tel: +44 (0) 1159 887 988
Email: support@gwhl.co.uk
Please have your machine's GW serial number and software version
to hand.

The Police seem more interested in sending these scummers to 'support groups' rather than prison where they can get their arse's battered in the showers, by a big Guy called 'Bubba'.

My original suggestion still stands; Kick the living shit out of them, it saves so much time and money in the long run.

Yeah, I know, I've got issues....
Oh, I'm so scared.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I have come across some of these types in the past on my travels. They stood watching me once for about half an hour playing a machine, at one point offering me £10 just to 'fuck off'.

I racked up £99 in the bank whilst they watched me play and said they could keep the change.

Wankers.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i'm no whizkid at computers but this smells to me an awful lot like fish.

GWHL is a very, very obvious first point of contact, not to mention the sticker of whichever company has distributed this particular unit.

you are not going to have found fruitchat without wielding a carrot or a stick; put nails in the stick, call it a mace and do what Cool says.

and while GWHL are looking at this, sort out the non-payout problem; it has been too long. when a group of drinkers has put in a fiver and eventually won a quid, if it doesn't pay out, then you have lost five customers and the boorish locals speak louder than attract mode.
nobody ever wins on those things.
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

Hello Ricster, what was the player arrested for?, and how much did he have in the bank?

Also, was the amount in the cash bank or the credit bank?

Regards, steve
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
darren

Post by darren »

I remember playing that machine while on holiday and having problems with it freezing a lot. Did you not think to look at whether he had credits in the machine before resetting it? He probably did.
Ricster

Post by Ricster »

Hi guys, i thought it would be courtesy to come back on and tell you the outcome.

An engineer was down today who represents Treasure Ireland games, a comapny from NI.

The engineer said the Paragon will always hold £150 in the hopper but this one was only holding £107.

On Friday the officer dealing with the incident siezed £43 in pound coins from this lad. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Also the engineer explained that when the machines get emptied the SWP machine takings had been well down for the last month. The male who has been arrested for fraud had been noticed playing these machines in the past.

The engineer also got onto GW about this incident and they have re-called the unit so they can "interrogate" the computer.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who tried to help and apologise to the people who thought bad of me

Ric
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Ricster wrote:Hi guys, i thought it would be courtesy to come back on and tell you the outcome.

An engineer was down today who represents Treasure Ireland games, a comapny from NI.

The engineer said the Paragon will always hold £150 in the hopper but this one was only holding £107.

On Friday the officer dealing with the incident siezed £43 in pound coins from this lad. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Also the engineer explained that when the machines get emptied the SWP machine takings had been well down for the last month. The male who has been arrested for fraud had been noticed playing these machines in the past.

The engineer also got onto GW about this incident and they have re-called the unit so they can "interrogate" the computer.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who tried to help and apologise to the people who thought bad of me

Ric
If the person was scamming the machine I hope that he gets everything comming to (and in) him, including Bubba.
Oh, I'm so scared.