current top 10 on OPEN

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

correction its pub quiz knockout - seems similar to 100 to 1.

Dave
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Hi

Okay heres last weeks top 10...........

1. OddOneOut
2. ClassicHangman
3. BallsOfSteel
4. TalkSportQuiz
5. TribalTowers
6. MonstersOfRock
7. PubQuizKnockout
8. OverTheBrink
9. StarWars
10. ClassicPubQuiz

Takings are well down on the machine this week - could do with it have being off line the previous 2 weeks.

Methinks we need some Monopoly, Deal or no Deal & Cluedo back on the OPENS/HOTWIRES - Howsabout MILLION POUND DROP OR EVEN EGGHEADS?

Dave
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

This is why your takings will be down:

1. OddOneOut - complete con.
2. ClassicHangman - complete con.
3. BallsOfSteel - con
4. TalkSportQuiz - ok if you get there before someone else
5. TribalTowers - never bothered
6. MonstersOfRock - could have been a contender but con
7. PubQuizKnockout - ?
8. OverTheBrink - bit too tedious to play more than once but ok
9. StarWars - see Monsters Of Rock
10. ClassicPubQuiz - see Talk sport quiz

OK, it's just my opinion but most of these games have the kind of 'random' endgame that doesn't encourage you to play again.
To be frank I don't see how it can be fair to not know what the JP is when you put your money in.
It's like all those fruit machines have huge signs on top saying "WIN £70!"
...well maybe the SWPs should have one saying "WIN £1.05p!" on top?
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Definitely my least favourite games selection, that menu. Games have been said right by Paragoon, mostly cons, tedious, bad endgames, and some games are just so similar that you find it a chore to play once you've pressed start.
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Hi that isnt the complete menu - just the top 10.

The complete menu is around 50 - 60 games.............

Dave
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

Ok ok this is not my sort of thing but...

Quiz machines used to be quite basic and with that the games where basic so if a said game did not want to pay it would just throw constant silly questions at you which to a casual punter is fine becasue they know their supposed to be difficult. But when you take a oneof the skill based games that have a timer and if you start doing the round quickly (to win) the only way it compensates is to visually speed up the timer to stop you winning! now ok WE know why it does that but a casual just thinks its a proper con. why didnt they make the programme aware it was dead so the counter started faster in the 1st place (fast enough to make it impos)

if this is the case then please take the game "outrun" or "Chase H.Q" in its full arcade cabinet and make it money based where if you complete it you get JP (£5-£10) or a certain stage you get offered a prize on 50p or £1 a go. If it dont want to pay then it just puts alot of cars in the way and very hard to avoid em or just makes the stage longer so it cant be done.

The other classic is the "end game" so after a 4 1/2 year battle with the played game you get to the end game (woo-hoo) and you are waiting to be shown the JP amount as thats what it stated you could win if you got there... But wait all you can see is 10p and 20p and 40p ??? why not just make it so the JP is always their but like "stoppa nudge" on a bandit, make it fast so it can just jump off and give a small win/ money back that way they will have the "near" experience so may make them play again and again.

Not being funny but 5-10 years ago you would always see someone playin the quizzer. Now I hardly ever see anyone play one where ever I go.

I only play Tri towers on em really now
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

streakseims wrote:Not being funny but 5-10 years ago you would always see someone playin the quizzer. Now I hardly ever see anyone play one where ever I go.
One of the wisest things I have ever seen written on here.

"Mr Hammer, may I introduce you to the head of this fine nail..."

:wink:
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

used to love cluedo on em as give alot of reasonable questions to entertain you
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
cool

Post by cool »

speed related games were once popular eg quizmaster,blockbusters . the quicker you get the answer right the more points you got. A balance between caution and risk - take the points but risk a stinker or fewer questions but risk imploding.These game gave a great buzz and should be used as a template to stop emptying games not stupid questions.
quizard

Post by quizard »

The great speed games like Quizmaster had proper buttons that you could place your fingers over in a 'racing' position. Such things never worked as well on a touch screen.
cool

Post by cool »

very true , another example of how 'developments' in swp's have resulted in a step backwards
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

quizard wrote:The great speed games like Quizmaster had proper buttons that you could place your fingers over in a 'racing' position. Such things never worked as well on a touch screen.
Very good point
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

My machine only took £1 last week.

It was switched on all day every day..........

FATSPANNER really do need to do a MASSIVE game update and introduce some quality titles - this is a new low.

As an aside the takings for the pub itself last week were very very good indeed - so it wasn't lack of footfall.

So I cant even post a new top 10 as the only game to be played was MONSTERS OF ROCK.

Dave
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Hi Dave

Bloody hell - that is bad! Sadly I have to say though that Fat Spanner's games get steadily poorer with each new release. Some of their recent stuff is just beyond the pale. Two possibilities occur to me:

(1) It IS only possible to produce tedious games where winning even £5 is a rare and unrepeatable achievement (as the game no longer offers such bounteous prizes once you've won one)

or

(2) They haven't got a clue any more.

The thing that I find odd about (1) is that how did an industry manage to sustain itself for 25 or so years proving this possibility to be wrong time and time again? - were all the games and machine companies acting as charitable institutions all those years, basically giving money away to good players and taking nothing back from punters? I think we all know the answer to this one...

I know there are other factors involved - the general loss of pubs, the many other ways there are for punters to spend their money, the HMRC changes (although for me they seem to have been used as an excuse to hide a multitude of sins) but in the end bad games - either low paying, tedious or both - mean low turnover and that is a cycle that is only heading one way.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:
the HMRC changes (although for me they seem to have been used as an excuse to hide a multitude of sins)
Yes. What I don't understand is that when I read about this HMRC thing I presumed what would be fair would be to stop the randomness of how the game plays to some degree. I mean if you're playing, say, Classic Pub Quiz and completing round 4 of 6 rounds will net you £2 on a 50p stake, answering 18 questions that seems fair enough. BUT if it's a case of Round 6 'netting' a single pound, answering 28 questions that's not fair when it doesn't give you that information beforehand.
Isn't it like going into the bookies and putting a bet on a horse with the bookies refusing to say what the odds are?
Anyway, maybe I'm just being stupid here but I can't see anything positive that the new guidelines have brought to the table.

As for your machine Dave - a shudder went down my spine reading your news. I get the impression a lot of lads would rather stick three quid in the bandit than 50p in the quizzer nowadays.