SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

QuizMaster wrote:There is one crucial thing missing.............
well..?
nobody ever wins on those things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

don't know if you saw a program recently about savants. A chap in England was a savant, and was able to carry out huge calculations in his head. He described seeing numbers as different pictures, and said that he didn't actually think how he did it, he just did it.

Part of the programme involved him trying to learn Icelandic in a week. He appeared on Icelandic TV at the end of the week, spraffing away merrily as if he'd been speaking it for years.

Apparently, it's very rare for savants not to be autistic / suffer from Asperger's, which apparently is a boon for scientists seeking to discover how it all works.
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

Ok maybe it is the same guy, i'm not sure though...

Go down to his post (#10)... (this was back in 2002)

http://www.fruitforums.com/vb/showthrea ... t=spot+the

What a Legend
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Not for me to say really. It would be unfair of me to give away his little trick on such a forum.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday

Post by Guest »

Nil Satis wrote: I have personally witnessed people whose skill at one particular game seems superhuman
Was that me on Word Wall? 8)

I would like to see the ppl who can bust 10,000 on Mah Jong 2 in action.

Are you referring to the 'f-v' technique, Quizmaster?

One of our VB team occasionals hasn't got savant skills but did use to have a photographic memory, which enabled him to memorise the entire dictionary while at school. His anagramming is savant-like tho (hmm think I may have contradicted myself there), playing Brainteaser he literally will solve every word within 3 seconds - I've yet to see him get stuck. Still beating him at Word Wall tho'. :D

Simon Baron-Cohen's pop sci book on autism - 'The Essential Difference' -is worth a read. It links autism with maleness and provides a few tests for self-diagnosis.

ramble ramble
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Fair enough, having read those other posts, I understand how to do it, but am I right in thinking that they have fixed these bugs, and made the timer faster (which was what I claimed before).

As for "being so good they don't let you type your name in the high-score", note that VAGINALBOB is no longer accepted on the newer versions of WU (though some may erroneously argue this was something to do with "rude" words, it obviously can't be, otherwise they would have done a better job banning other rude terms wouldn't they? You know I'm right). And no I'm not turning another thread into WU discussion.

Post by Guest »

Ernest W. Quality wrote:As for "being so good they don't let you type your name in the high-score", note that VAGINALBOB is no longer accepted on the newer versions of WU
I think the more likely reason is that it's rude. :(
ash83

Post by ash83 »

Interesting reading for me. I actually joined these forums to see if there was any information on swp percentages after finding nothing on fruit forums. I was looking for this infomration as ive been playing spot the difference for about 3 or 4 years and am constantly becoming pissed off with the money (or lack of it) that is offered.

Im not the guy in the south of england, but i can spot all five differences as soon as the pictures come up due to an eye technqiue that i use. This has enabled me to win a few quid, but because the machines have such low payouts, i haven't really made any profit, just stayed about even.

However, with the deluxe version, it was possible to empty these for the first week when trhey came out. Unforutnatly, i only managed to do two machines and two days later they got rid of the game from the it box. It is now available on gamesnet and games warehouse machines, but it is the modified version.

On this version, it is 'possible' to get up to level 9 , but then problems start to occur. You still need to spot five differences (and on this version there is just enough time to do it). However, there aren't five differences to be found, there are only FOUR!!!

If you get to the ninth level with one help left, then instead of being five differences to spot, there are only three. IF you spot these three differences then use the help, the machine circles a completely random area on the screen where there is not a difference. I can say this for definate as i can pick out anything as small as a one pizel difference.

SO in simple terms, the deluxe version is still 100% impossible (but now you can get to level 9). It really annoys me that they are able to offer a 100% impossible games where the jackpot is not possible to get. Bacta should really look into this sort of crap more heavily.

So these days, im just playing the games net and warehouse machines. If i leave them for a week or two in my local area then put a couple of quic in, the money has usually come down the cash ladder a bit, meaning i can make about £5 - £12 profit before the machine takes all cash values off of the ladder. Made about £150 in the last month or so.

This sounds like im bragging, but quite the opposite is my aim. Im just trying to give some information to show that this game is still a con which has nothing really to do with skill, and which is next to impossible (for a normal person) to win an ything on.

One question i do have is why does the deluxe version offer about £5 - £12 whilst spot the difference £2 (still on itboxes) offers a few pounds (ocassionaly 2 or 3) and then goes dead. Interesting!!!
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

ash83 wrote:I can pick out anything as small as a one pizel difference.

:lol:
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I'm guessing that the other guy still knows where there are some machines that haven't been updated so he still empties those, and plays like you on updated games.

I've still got 6 Gamesnets running the original Royle Family so there must be old Spot the Differences out there still.

Doesn't the Deluxe version have the bigger prizes because you have to continue the game to get the bigger prizes to appear, thereby paying more money to play?
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
SWP

Post by SWP »

I would have expected a word master like you to have heard of that word!

A pizel is a small part of a puzzle :wink:
tka

Post by tka »

ash83 wrote: SO in simple terms, the deluxe version is still 100% impossible (but now you can get to level 9). It really annoys me that they are able to offer a 100% impossible games where the jackpot is not possible to get. Bacta should really look into this sort of crap more heavily!
Impressive skills Ash I can only win a quid if it is on easy setting and I have all my mates in the pub with me.

Intersting what you say though. If you could prove this then the industry would have to do some serious thinking. Whoever reprogrammed it must know for sure whether you are telling the truth. I'm happy to give you the benefit of the doubt on this but as I said I'm rubbish at this game.
No wonder I drink!
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Case of "Bloke in Pub with Cross-Eyes" vs "The Evil Bent Gaming Industry".
Prosecution rests. Judge finds defendant guilty, and orders to pay 27% of 50p in fines.

Let's face it, the other alternative to fixing STD so you can't win would have been to remove it, but it's one of the most played games so they wouldn't do that.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

step7 wrote:I would have expected a word master like you to have heard of that word!

A pizel is a small part of a puzzle
Phew! I thought it was a mis-spelling of this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pizzle

:shock:
tka

Post by tka »

That's a whole nother bull's eye :wink:
No wonder I drink!