Can you learn how to be a quiz genius?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
quizard

Can you learn how to be a quiz genius?

Post by quizard »

Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Of all the things I've ever aspired to be a "genius" at, quizzing would come last. However it's been the one which has paid best! Not sure there's such a thing as a "quiz genius", tbh. I would bet that professional quiz players - either of quizzes themselves, or of machines - have much more highly developed associative recall than the general population (i.e. being able to work out answers from apparently unrelated side-knowledge), in addition to much better basic general knowledge (e.g. being able to name all capital cities, currencies, football team nicknames without any conscious thought). I think it's just like a lot of other things - the more you do it, the better you get, and the more developed your associations become. Also I agree that serious quizzers absorb information osmotically, sometimes without noticing that they've done it, but that's a matter of having trained your mind to think that way. It's why I often read newspaper articles etc on things that I have no interest in.
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Well, I'm an empty-head - but willing to start my training whenever your free cp999 :)
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Fruits that bad? I'm sure it would take 30 mins max to explain how to reliably clear word soup ;)
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

Surely quizers make silly mistakes time to time? On relatively easy questions that general people would know? I could imagine a Quizer standing muttering, stamping and kicking his feet resulting in him looking like he has Tourette's. I can relate to these moments in the big bad fruity world.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Of course, especially due to lack of concentration, and/or not reading properly. I've certainly seen some "conversation with the machine" scenarios.. it's especially worrying when you hear the machine talking back!
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

cp999 wrote:Of course, especially due to lack of concentration, and/or not reading properly. I've certainly seen some "conversation with the machine" scenarios.. it's especially worrying when you hear the machine talking back!
This is were we all lose our disguise, it's spotted from a mile Away.
grecian

Post by grecian »

I would say, as with most things, it is partly about natural talent but also a lot to do with putting in the hard work.

Even someone with a naturally very good memory who reads voraciously will struggle to compete with the very top world quizzers unless they are deliberately seeking to educate themselves on areas of GK that they are weaker on, and taking notes of new questions/facts they come across. For many people that would be anathema but I think it’s probably essential to be as good as someone like Pat Gibson, quoted in this article and probably one of the world’s top five quiz players.

I would disagree with cp999 as I would say that of all the things I’ve aspired to become adept at, quizzing is my favourite. It’s also the one I’m best at. I’ve found the accumulation of general knowledge over the years rewarding and enjoyable for its own sake, it’s made me a more rounded and interesting person, it’s earnt me some money, and I’ve made a number of very good friends through it. I have a lot to thank it for and would always encourage someone with natural talent to get involved.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

grecian wrote: Even someone with a naturally very good memory who reads voraciously will struggle to compete with the very top world quizzers unless they are deliberately seeking to educate themselves on areas of GK that they are weaker on, and taking notes of new questions/facts they come across. For many people that would be anathema but I think it’s probably essential to be as good as someone like Pat Gibson, quoted in this article and probably one of the world’s top five quiz players.
From what little I've seen of top class quizzing per se (as opposed to machine-playing) I would agree entirely.
grecian wrote: I would disagree with cp999 as I would say that of all the things I’ve aspired to become adept at, quizzing is my favourite. It’s also the one I’m best at. I’ve found the accumulation of general knowledge over the years rewarding and enjoyable for its own sake, it’s made me a more rounded and interesting person, it’s earnt me some money, and I’ve made a number of very good friends through it.
Although we disagree on the initial judgement on quizzing, I do largely agree with everything else. I suspect that the fact that I value quizzing least, and you value it most, is a reflection on it performing an entirely functional aspect in my life, whereas your attitude is more ars gratia artis.
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

fancy latin eh? your fav mega was on 0.00 yesterday btw, woooooooo, yeah! If your about later gimme a shout, time to start learning word soup!
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Titch - i assume by your tourettes comments you know a few quiz players? All twitchy like that imo!
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

Iv met one mate.
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Small guy in his 50's but looks older + always wears a leather jacket? hates the pope/Catholicism and has screaming conversations with himself + the machine? major suspect in a notorious murder?! Think I've said too much......... urm.... eeip
cp999

Post by cp999 »

uber-pro wrote:mega was on 0.00 yesterday btw
static 0.00 I trust?
Hope you put it back to (non-static) 0.00!
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

Lad who I have met is on this forum! He's sound enough.