who is graham clarke / eternal optimists

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

who is graham clarke / eternal optimists

Post by cool »

Ran into somebody the other day who was extolling the superhuman quiz powers of the above:
Facts known (a) won £64000 on wwtbam
(b) has targeted big money pub quizzes £500+
(c) is in a band
(d) in the golden age cleaned up now dapples in swp's
(e) resides in southern england (I know the town but wont reveal)

My quiz team has recently come up against a redoutable team of near savant proportions called the eternal optimists.Does anyone know if there is a list of teams that appeared on eggheads as the name seems strangely familiar unless they have filched it from that pub game where you take on 49 variously named quiz teams!

cheers
grecian

Post by grecian »

I've not heard of him Cool, no. I'm a regular in both the London quiz league and the national non-televised quiz circuit, and pretty well informed about the quiz-playing world generally, and I've neither met nor heard about any chap of the above name. I'd be slightly surprised if he had managed to maintain such anonymity if he really was "superhuman", although very good players do pop up from nowhere every so often. The web lists him as having won on WWTBAM in March 2006 (spelt as "Graham Clark"), if that's any help.

Which county are we talking?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Possibly Oxfordshire if this reference is anything to go by, although of course there's no "copyright" on quiz team names so they could easily be another team:

http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/events/ ... Radley.htm

Radley contains a renowned public school so it's possible he is/was a teacher there perhaps?

I'm the same as grecian though - I've never heard the name in relation to any form of quizzing, although, as grecian says, he is listed here as winning £64k on 25th March 2006:

http://millionaire.wikia.com/wiki/Who_W ... ionaire_UK
cool

Post by cool »

Thanks for that! He lives in Kent.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Kent? So that is why I fail at most quizzes around here... ;-)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."