Paragon "Update"

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
exactly

Post by exactly »

Paragons seem to be full of tedious question and answer games nowadays. I used to enjoy tv times, nuts, Match of the day road to glory, bullseye , football crazy etc. the current machines are. Shit and heres why: no one cares about shakespeare, nobels etc. eggheads might care and no doubt thats who sets the questions but I cant remember the last time i saw a question about Computer Games or drum and bass or anything young people are interested in. Well over half the machines in my town have vanished over the last few months and the more dreary the games get the worse it will get! Thats all tx
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

exactly wrote:Paragons seem to be full of tedious question and answer games nowadays. I cant remember the last time i saw a question about Computer Games or drum and bass or anything young people are interested in.
this smells a lot like fish but i'll bite anyway:

pubfolk who play the SWP either enjoy the challenge of testing their knowledge/skill/perspicacity, they fancy themselves, they have some money to spend on entertainment or they are drunk. young people go to the pub to prove that they can get in, start fights or try to pull. very few younger patrons could give a twopenny toss for quizzing; they can (and do) put their change through the AWP.

personally, i can see no appeal in pub quiz. but a lot of people do play it. something like BAM is a much better game because it has obvious production values and playability.

imo gamesnets have a better menu these days but the hardware makes them utterly unplayable.
nobody ever wins on those things.
exactly

Post by exactly »

Istenem wrote:
imo gamesnets have a better menu these days but the hardware makes them utterly unplayable.
Agree re: menu. On mobile and cant be bothered editing properly . I would rather play an open than the current paragon drearfest. I dont find the gamesnets too bad although it sucks to find one on a go slow. Most are ok in my recent experience
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

no; open is still dreadful. really dreadful. those cabs give you Alzheimers for 50p. you have to pay and after a few seconds you begin to wish you were in switzerland.

gamesnets are slow and often the touchscreen is bollocksed; the menu is okay but the hardware is feeble. (word soup is normally impossible due to crap alignment) and you can guarantee that >5 other games are skewed beyond playability. (let alone the impossible S of SWP in at least one title).

gwhl has the best hardware and can show off new games. it is just strange that they decided to put out a set of turds rather than exploiting their position as market leader. surely a pzazz and a whodjemawotsit of BAM would prove that nobody else can come close?

we shouldn't mind games being hard, but if crappy hardware prevents a fair game, Exactly, you are whistling in the wind.
nobody ever wins on those things.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Istenem wrote:no]really[/u] dreadful. those cabs give you Alzheimers for 50p. you have to pay and after a few seconds you begin to wish you were in switzerland.

gamesnets are slow and often the touchscreen is bollocksed; the menu is okay but the hardware is feeble. (word soup is normally impossible due to crap alignment) and you can guarantee that >5 other games are skewed beyond playability. (let alone the impossible S of SWP in at least one title).

gwhl has the best hardware and can show off new games. it is just strange that they decided to put out a set of turds rather than exploiting their position as market leader. surely a pzazz and a whodjemawotsit of BAM would prove that nobody else can come close?

we shouldn't mind games being hard, but if crappy hardware prevents a fair game, Exactly, you are whistling in the wind.
This is a really good point. PMP still on Gamesnets but either:

The game isn't aligned properly on the screen or

On bonuses it stops and starts so frequently that it is often impossible to follow the one "Pass" amongst the "You're Barred".

However I will say that in my experience it is better than when games such as BAM were on Gamesnets.
exactly

Post by exactly »

Why does that (skewing) happen with points make prizes on the gamesnet? I cant remember seeing that with any other game, I wondered if it was some kind of self protection. It's still possible to play it, you just have to remember to hit 2 (usually) letters to the right. The clunky bonus game can be a problem with hex as well.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

exactly wrote:
personally, i can see no appeal in pub quiz. but a lot of people do play it. something like BAM is a much better game because it has obvious production values and playability.
If you are really into quizzes, interesting questions and facts you didn't know and a good mix of the current and nostalgic, then Pub Quiz is the best game by a mile.

If you like bells & whistles and endless boring questions and/or spoilers then play By Any Means.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

istenem wrote:
If you are really into quizzes, interesting questions and facts you didn't know and a good mix of the current and nostalgic, then Pub Quiz is the best game by a mile.

If you like bells & whistles and endless boring questions and/or spoilers then play By Any Means.
grecian

Post by grecian »

QuizMaster wrote: If you are really into quizzes, interesting questions and facts you didn't know and a good mix of the current and nostalgic, then Pub Quiz is the best game by a mile.

I couldn't disagree more QM - the boringness is what stops me playing PQ on anything more than a recreational "50p a cabinet in case it's on easy mode" basis.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

grecian wrote:
QuizMaster wrote: If you are really into quizzes, interesting questions and facts you didn't know and a good mix of the current and nostalgic, then Pub Quiz is the best game by a mile.

I couldn't disagree more QM - the boringness is what stops me playing PQ on anything more than a recreational "50p a cabinet in case it's on easy mode" basis.
The good sides of BAM are:
1. Due to the end bonuses each game feels different.
2. During any game there's actually two games going on - the cash along the bottom and filling in the polaroids on the side.
3. Just about the chance of a bonus each round although some of them are ungettable. (Has anyone got more than 78 on the air balloon?)
I once got over 150 on the boat and thought I'd see how long I could last...ended up getting bored at around 900 - no more obstacles appeared but nothing exciting happened.

Pub Quiz does seem pretty fair but usually it's a case of getting through two easy rounds and ending up with the last question on round three being a spoiler. Other opinons are available...