pub banning the saga continues

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

I was invited to leave a pub at lunchtime. I often buy my lunch in one pub then have a pudding of a bottle of coke somewhere nearby; admittedly I don't do so if there is no SWP.
Anyway. I took lunch in a pub near whitechapel where I was served some acceptable Thai gruel ( on my only previous visit to this place, I bought a chicken tikka baked potato (faults of which include: it was not baked, just a cold boiled potato. And the chicken tikka was the sort of pink plasticky stuff you get on really cheap frozen pizza)). I couldn't stomach it before so the Thai food was a pleasant alternative. Anyway, today, i finished my food, made a small nett profit and moved next door.

No drama yet.

When I got to the second pub, I ordered a coke and sat down to reply to a couple of text messages. Once done I sidled over to the paragon and put in a quid. Oh good, the menu was looking promising compared to my previous visit. So I played off a few quid while the publican busied himself. I vaguely realise that he has taken a phone call.

Not long later I become aware of halitosis wafting over my shoulder and it is the friendly landlord.

"look mate you're obviously intelligent but you have to take the £9 and leave. I'm switching the machine off and you are leaving."

Well you've gotta take it on the chin. No biggie. But then he saw red, I don't think I did anything involuntary but this guy suddenly hit the roof.

"in fact no, you can't have the £9; you can fack off now. If you come back i'll break your fackin nose. The pub next door has called and said you was in there too."

At this point I told him that I'd had some lunch in there but this seemed to fan the flames.

"go on, fack off. If you come back I'll knock your fackin teeth out."

I have since found that BITE users have given the pub 7ish out of ten.

maybe the second publican was guilty of being undereducated about games of skill (it was play on words for what it is worth) but the first one who made the phonecall is guilty of cowardice, bullying and hiring a chef who can't even cook a baked potato.
nobody ever wins on those things.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Sorry to hear such a sad tale. The worst detail is...nine bloody quid! Hardly bleeding the place dry.
You have to wonder how much they'd let you win without a fuss - £3 on a 50p stake? Or would winning a quid back after putting one in still result in threats?
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

Did you leave the pub without the £9?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

without £9 but with all my teeth.
so ultimately he robbed me too, but i saved myself a lot on dental bills.

i am a very handsome man, so i can be doing without wiggly noses and a mouth like the giants' causeway.
Glendale

Post by Glendale »

Thought us fruit machine boys had it bad but you lads seem to get as much grief as us!
I am Glendale, much better than you!
messiah

Post by messiah »

Glendale wrote:Thought us fruit machine boys had it bad but you lads seem to get as much grief as us!
I think Isty just has a face people want to punch.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Brilliant- I wasn't sure that they would recognise you from the description I circulated round E1- does this mean I should start lunching in Covent Garden again?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Northern Monkey wrote:Brilliant- I wasn't sure that they would recognise you from the description I circulated round E1- does this mean I should start lunching in Covent Garden again?
:) nice one Monkey Man :)
cool

Post by cool »

I would have gone straight to the Police. They would likely not do much but if it happened to others eventually they would.I would also do as I did ,contact the pub company and if that fails the local newspapers.Not all pub companies side with the publican.I once got a torrent of abuse from a landlord.He was forced to apologise and re-admit me after I contacted the brewery.

There is never any excuse for threats of violence.If you have done the same to the publican you would be on the Pubwatch scheme and appearing in court!
ruthl3ss

well

Post by ruthl3ss »

Take some laxatives
Buy a supersoaker
Fill supersoaker with your skits
Stick supersoacker through pub letter box
Let it rip
Follow this up with a phone call in the morning with shyte puns
Class
cool

Post by cool »

istenem probably could have obliged on the spot from the state he appeared to be in.
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Last night, I was interrupted while playing and asked for ID - twice, by different bar staff. One also asked me if I was a customer (well I don't work there, so I guess so...).

I thought better than to hang around so collected my £18 and left.

Weird. I've been to that pub loads of times before with no problems. Maybe they've all heard the news about Isty doing the rounds and are on the lookout!
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Cool, i am the local papers, well localish. and he might be getting a particularly unfavourable review.

however, i did this once before (with the opera tavern (since gastrofied)) and the day after it was published, the publican called the office and got quite a shock when he realised who had written about his pub being "a miserable hovel of mischief and shadows" and why.

overnight, somebody put a firework through the letterbox. this might just be a coincidence but why would anyone waste pyrotechnics in an unremarkable office building?

i guess people have different views on how to react when they perceive themselves to have been wronged.
messiah

Post by messiah »

fotherz wrote:Last night, I was interrupted while playing and asked for ID - twice, by different bar staff. One also asked me if I was a customer (well I don't work there, so I guess so...).

I thought better than to hang around so collected my £18 and left.

Weird. I've been to that pub loads of times before with no problems. Maybe they've all heard the news about Isty doing the rounds and are on the lookout!
I thought you'd gone pro and stopped buying drinks....
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

If you think revenge is a dish best served cold, you'll be pleased to hear I've just had £20 out of that machine.

In the interests of fairness I will admit that the only member of staff on duty was young, female, and easy on the eye rather than male and spoiling for a ruck. Also that I made sure she was distracted before I pressed the Collect button. I'm not daft.