Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new one

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's just a branding issue - I suspect they have lost the correct logo and are using the old Grandmasters one instead! This is indeed the updated version, where the main change is that each prize you attain is collected automatically. You were clearly lucky enough to find a box that hadn't been put in the '2150 points for £1' install mode that seems common elsewhere.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Yes, I saw this one locally too (Grandmasters) and the first 2 prizes were attainable (surprisingly, having read the above). Only difference does appear to be the graphics, tiles, etc...
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Nil Satis wrote:... but it's playing high-scoring words (for which the 'harder' letters are needed) that is the main way you win money on this game, not that winning money is the main reason for this game's longevity and popularity (which makes GWHL's decision to remove it all the more mystifying).

Besides, as cool points out, the rereleased version seems to have been set up on many boxes to not pay out a penny for a long time, with the initial target of 2150 out of the reach of all but the elite, without any major wins having been recorded to explain that. This seems to be a pattern with a lot of the games that have been tinkered with, supposedly to meet the HMRC guidelines - they have been made that much harder for ordinary punters to win on, never mind the small number of better players, that it's hard not to see how this will only hasten the decline of the SWPs.
Each to their own mate. I'm in quiz machines to make money. If I can get a £5.00 win out of a recently altered Word Soup then I will happily take that. I cannot be arsed to play to try to get the top score for no money. The only thing I will concede is that once that easy first win has been achieved then the score quickly goes sky high. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if someone has had a nice little win on a lot of the ones you've played and that is why the scores are where they are.
At that point I'll make my excuses and give the game a very wide berth.
I wouldn't personally lose any sleep over the disappearance of that game. Cried buckets though when some of the games of the last few years disappeared.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

Tonka, i know you are not a n00b but that comment was a bit foolish.

here is a picture:
nobody ever wins on those things.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

here is another; these guys look very pleased with themselves.

Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Why have they replaced their lower legs with those geese? :lol:
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Istenem wrote:Tonka, i know you are not a n00b but that comment was a bit foolish.

here is a picture:

Just as a matter of interest: Played exactly the sort of Word Up game I was talking about today. First game in score set at 720 for £1.00. Given that whatever you win now is paid how would you go about a score of whatever it would need to hit the tenner when you were playing with a Q, a Z and an X and a whole lot of Is and Us?

I managed a clearance for £5.00 (BTW the score required for £1.00 is now 1980). Couldn't see the next prize...for all I know it could have been over 2000.
Would you have just let the time run out hoping for a better board next go?
I really think the odds are against those who want to make big scores now. The letters will "do" you if nothing else.....
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

One minor nark I've always had about this (and surprised it's not been adjusted) is that it doesn't show you where the top prize is on the scale before you start. As we know, it shows you the £1, but then you have to reach that to know where the £2 is, etc. Surely when it rips up the score-line, i should show you where the 'end' of it is, not the first point...?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

probably because it does not want to show you that £2 onwards is impossible, and you are only playing to boost your ego.
Oh, I'm so scared.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

There is that.

Most other games do show you how far you need to go to 'top-out' however ridiculously impossible it is (90,000+ DOND?)
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

BigEd wrote:probably because it does not want to show you that £2 onwards is impossible, and you are only playing to boost your ego.

You hit the nail on the head there Big Ed!
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

freud is a load of old bollocks.

but if you want one of his words, it is id.
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

There is a Freud Bar in Covent Garden. I would love there to be a sign on the door saying "No id, no entry"
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

:lol:
messiah

Post by messiah »

Played a game of the new version last week.

Pound was at 950.

Hit a clearance of 16-1700 and didn't even see the £2 come into sight.