The implosion of the games warehouse empire discuss?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

if they do that perhaps it would be o.k to start another word soup thread.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

coleporter wrote:On Word Up, with a combination of low-scoring letters and high target it probably isn't even theoretically possible to win the pound, never mind the jackpot.
Fair point well made.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

coleporter wrote:On Word Up, with a combination of low-scoring letters and high target it probably isn't even theoretically possible to win the pound, never mind the jackpot.
i don't think anybody plays word soup for the money. anyway, that is not what this thread should be about.

having played BAM, PLOD, MOTD et al on a gamesnet recently, they might need a caveat that 'any operating system which disables the relevant skill by importing a crossover title from a faster machine will circumstantially invalidate the licence'. although i'm aware that sited terminals incur costs etc. etc. etc. (we are all bright enough to understand the ramifications of this without me typing it out.)

it really is a can of worms and a commonsense approach is needed, but i don't trust civil servants to draw a stickman with the right amount of legs, let alone be able to translate the PR bullshit and legalese into real life. as for the taxman; he can kiss my caymanian arse.
nobody ever wins on those things.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Matt Vinyl wrote: :lol:

Would that have to be adjusted so as every time you clear the grid, you win a tenner? (Matt hears Istenem's pots jangling (not to mention his pockets. And QM preparing an 'I couldn't give more of a toss' response!) :)

Guess they'd have to adjust it so as a clearance causes a new grid to spawn...

Used to happen didn't it...wasn't it £20.00??
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Yes. Got battered to fuck.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Cf wrote:
What's the difference between?

1: skill ball bingo refusing to drop the jackpot ball
and
2: a quiz game giving you 10 4-answer spoiler questions?

I'd say it's the same thing. Assuming the spoiler questions are a 25% chance then the chance of someone answering all 10 of them correctly in one game is 1 in 1,048,576. Considering that this may only be one jump up the prize ladder I'd hardly call this a chance of winning. Let's say it makes you do 20 questions like this. It's now a 0.00000000000009% chance of winning. This is to all intents and purposes 0 and no different to the bingo game refusing to drop the win in.

At the end of the day games can block prizes, and they need to. I just think disallowing certain blocks but not others is a bit odd.
Any "serious player" who has never answered 10 spoiler questions in a row is crap, plain and simple. The difference in attaining: 1. can be deliberately controlled to be impossible 2. is possible with skill and some people do it every day. Some blocks can be passed, some can't.

The "I can't do it, therefore it's impossible" assumption is a dangerous one.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

cp999 wrote:
Cf wrote:
What's the difference between?

1: skill ball bingo refusing to drop the jackpot ball
and
2: a quiz game giving you 10 4-answer spoiler questions?

I'd say it's the same thing. Assuming the spoiler questions are a 25% chance then the chance of someone answering all 10 of them correctly in one game is 1 in 1,048,576. Considering that this may only be one jump up the prize ladder I'd hardly call this a chance of winning. Let's say it makes you do 20 questions like this. It's now a 0.00000000000009% chance of winning. This is to all intents and purposes 0 and no different to the bingo game refusing to drop the win in.

At the end of the day games can block prizes, and they need to. I just think disallowing certain blocks but not others is a bit odd.
Any "serious player" who has never answered 10 spoiler questions in a row is crap, plain and simple. The difference in attaining: 1. can be deliberately controlled to be impossible 2. is possible with skill and some people do it every day. Some blocks can be passed, some can't.

The "I can't do it, therefore it's impossible" assumption is a dangerous one.
:? : 10 spoiler questions in a row you say? Aren't you the clever one! Or perhaps you have a part-time job as chairman on Gillingham FC?
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

10's not that clever. I've seen guys do 100+ in a row.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Trouble with spoilers though - is it 'really' skill? I've fluked a lot in a row before, but it was just that... ...a fluke. I really didn't know the weight of Moby Dick in equivalent planks of 4x2... :|

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
quizard

Post by quizard »

The diffculty of a spoiler is irrelevant really. In the olden days people used to buy a machines just to memorise the spoilers. It's not rocket science it's mnemonics. And of course these days you have people who have access to the question sets.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

You also have people who write the question sets... ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
quizard

Post by quizard »

[quote="Matt Vinyl"]You also have people who write the question sets... ]

They were included in the people I meant. Like Grecian's pals.
grecian

Post by grecian »

quizard wrote:
Matt Vinyl wrote:You also have people who write the question sets... ]

Which pals are they?
borgcontact4

Post by borgcontact4 »

Skill Ball Bingo is classified as a gaming game, as it portrays bingo, however if one stopped moaning about it not paying out all the time, of course it is compensated as are all SWP games. Without compensation their would be no money in the box and so living to be made from such machines. Further on the Skill Ball game it is now being replaced by Skill Ball Deluxe at least as a new arcade machine, front pages of Coinslot. If it turns up on the terminals then the only complaint I have read about is the inconvenience caused by girls sitting in front and playing the game for hours. i was on business a few weeks ago in Brighton at Nobles, they have 10 Skill BAll Deluxes, all 10 were being played!!!! I am told they, Nobles have 18 in Coral Island, not been up Blackpool this year but I am sure the source, trade, is correct.
Anyway getting back to SWP games, yes the industry is putting things right but compensation will always be used, its why they they are there.
On Fatspanner, I am surprised at some posts, their games are inferior and are copies. Look at Whiteswan post as to why he was changing from Open to Paragon. OK he had problems with paragon but look at his posts about F/s their some truth must lie.
I am sure someone will come back as this subject can run and run!!!
quizard

Post by quizard »

grecian wrote:
quizard wrote:
Matt Vinyl wrote:You also have people who write the question sets... ]

Which pals are they?
The ones who you said Brewis was associated with who had the website, who compiled questions sets for SWP games. This was a few years ago or did I dream it?

PS Welcome back Borg.