suri ?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

Post by cool »

The connection between quiz machine players and chess continues.....
The national chess grading database reveals that Suri is a member of Richmond Chess Club with a handy grade of 171. The other prominent chess player CJ De Moi was apparently a model in Germany for 3years.What on earth was he modelling?
JG

Post by JG »

171 BCF? I'd have a sporting chance at beating him.

171 = Strong/expert club player.

In my prime I was a staunch 166 BCF, now probably more of a woodpushing 66 to be fair.
JG
grecian

Post by grecian »

Yes, Suri was the "high level top boy" I referred to on this thread - viewtopic.php?t=12996 . I'm a bit surprised his ranking wasn't higher than that; I'd had the impression he was a pretty good player. I agree the linkage here is interesting (remembering also, as he said on the thread I've linked to, that cp999 played to a decent standard when younger).
cp999

Post by cp999 »

[quote="grecian"]Yes, Suri was the "high level top boy" I referred to on this thread - viewtopic.php?t=12996 . I'm a bit surprised his ranking wasn't higher than that]

It's a matter of context; at a provincial chess club a player of that strength would be likely to be one of the best players, but at any worthwhile weekend open tournament 170s tend to be cannon fodder for titled players. Yes, there are strong chess players who go round the tournament circuit for a living (it's not very remunerative).

I personally know two other pros who play/played chess; one was about BCF 170 and the other by his own admission isn't very good. I know of an ex-pro who was about BCF 210, but I never met him. On the other hand, I know a chessplayer who is now a grandmaster whose general knowledge wasn't very impressive.
cool

Post by cool »

name your Grandmaster! David Howell took on the students of Southampton University a couple of weeks ago.I declined their kind offer to get a pasting.He played approx 30 students losing only 2.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

pm'd.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

cool wrote:.He played approx 30 students losing only 28.
i can do that.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Another chessman with quiz links is James Plaskett: a chess pro, who made a big (and ultimately successful) effort to get on WWTBAM in the early part of this decade (I think he ultimately won £250k). I got a sense he wasn't a particularly strong quizzer despite the big win though (he was very active for a bit on the Quizzing forum that's mentioned in the thread I linked to above).
JG

Post by JG »

Jonathan Mestel an International Master and lecturer at Imperial University invented the 'rollover' device.
This was a pivotal invention in the world of one armed bandits as they became more sophisticated. It allowed the machine not to pay a big win, if one were about to drop in. Essentially the third reel mechanism would rollover one place, forfeiting the win and hopefully done with enough subtletly that the player should not notice.
As to his quizzing attributes, I don't know, sorry.
JG
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

:lol:

Are there any recommendations for good on-line chess? I'm guessing Facebook has loads (can't check / play at work).
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

FICS
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Playchess, chessclub.com.
civ77

Post by civ77 »

gameknot.com used to be pretty good (not played in a fair while myself though)
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Thanks chaps, will try a couple of those suggestions.
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
cool

Post by cool »

JG I dont know who told you this but it wasnt obviously the man himself! I dont think he would mind me setting the record straight with his reply to my genuine enquiry to elaborate.
'Jonathan Mestel an International Master and lecturer at Imperial University invented the 'rollover' device'.

Hi - that seems to be a bizarre mixture of fact and fiction.

I have nothing to do with the "rollover device" as stated. If I understand
it correctly, it is a somewhat dishonest device, and the contributor ought
not to make such offensive allegations without checking his/her facts.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Mestel