15-1 what happened?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

15-1 what happened?

Post by cool »

'In the 2000 Grand Final, the contestant at position 4 had to be edited out for legal reasons. In the first round, the questions jumped from position 3 to 5. Since the contestant was eliminated in that round, the rest of the show proceeded normally'

looking at trivia concerning that cack show and came across this.please can somebody tell me ten yrs after the event why? thanks.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

I thought at first this would relate to Trevor Montague but it seems that that was much earlier (although it took several years to come to light):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteen_to ... r_Montague

I suspect you'll need someone reading this to have been there as a contestant that year to find out the truth (the mention of the incident further down the Wikpedia page adds little to what you've posted) but there are several things that might have happened:

- a similar attempt being made to appear under a false name

- some form of cheating having been uncovered

- someone failing to declare a criminal conviction - you are certainly asked to declare this on all current shows, and it might have also been the case back then

- someone lying about past or concurrent appearances on other quiz shows (although this one seems less likely, given the phrase "could not be identified for legal reasons"; this one is a production company preference rather than a legal issue)
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

If memory serves, I think it was court case-related. Take issue with 'cack show' though – would have loved to have gone on it.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Free trivia

William G Stewart was producer on many 1970's shows like Til Death Do Us Part, Bless This House and Love They Neighbour.
Roulette free since December 2011.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

H2: Yup, remember seeing his name on those shows. Nothing if diverse! ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
grecian

Post by grecian »

ggdr wrote:If memory serves, I think it was court case-related. Take issue with 'cack show' though – would have loved to have gone on it.
I think so too. Seem to remember the guy had been convicted of something relatively serious between filming and broadcast. Agree that Cool is quite wrong to describe it as a "cack show" - it was a proper test of quiz ability.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

The 80's Synth-pop cheese-fest that was the title score brings back memories of after-school scones at my Nans for some reason - and her sitting in the kitchen 'shucking shrimps'... :)

As for 'cack-show', it was probably one of the purest quizzes there's been...
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i have no doubt that it is a good test of quizzing but, in terms of entertainment, 15-1 is miserable. and WGS has embarrassingly little charisma for a gameshow host.
i was once told by a grundy chauffeur that he gets his hair done professionally at a salon each morning.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Istenem wrote:i have no doubt that it is a good test of quizzing but, in terms of entertainment, 15-1 is miserable. and WGS has embarrassingly little charisma for a gameshow host.
I dislike WGS as much as the next man (unless the next man is WGS himself), but would have to dispute the lack of entertainment claim - I watched this show every weekday for about five years as a sixth former and student and it was one of the highlights of my day! It also laid the foundation stones for much of my general knowledge.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

surely 15-1 was just a bunch of fifteen people in an arc either answering (rather dry) questions correctly or crapping out? kudos that they did it for the love of the game rather than lucre. it was just not my cup of tea, i prefer more bells and whistles, or a gunk tank.
although i like both, i personally enjoy trivia more than Q&A: why? and how? tend to give much more entertaining answers than when? and who?
nobody ever wins on those things.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Q&A: why? and how? tend to give much more entertaining answers than when? and who?
Simple, but a very good point - not really thought about it like that...
JG

Post by JG »

You're probably more a Countdown man Isty. I remember when that used to be on back to back with 15-1. I'm sure there was a time when I had to go to an elderly relative's house after school as both parents were wroking late or something like that.
Nothing like a cup of tea, some biscuits and a quiz with bloody impossible questions for an 8 year old to answer.
Loving the old C4 idents though....BAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAA BA BAAAAAA (fragmented coloured pieces)
JG
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Just for G

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R86_TLuI51w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R86_TLuI51w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Roulette free since December 2011.
K_Oranj

Post by K_Oranj »

Totally irrelevant to the mystery in hand (though I may have some info on that if the price is right), a 1989 show winner, Steve Smith, has done a page on the contestants he battled. A little funny, and certainly forthright.

So, in the stylee of a William G. Magnus Woganson poser, I'll ask if anyone can spot which one of the following of Mr Smith's contestant descriptions I have refrained from sneakily fiddling with in my copy-&-pastage thereof:

Lindsay Taylor (Nurse)
Never said a word to him. He never said any on the show either.

Richard Slegg (Charity Voulenteer Worker)
He used to work as a railtrack inspector, He stood to close to the rails one day and a train chopped his brain off.

Tom Steel (Production Manager)
Very softly spoken quiet man. Very nervous.
He admitted later to me after the final that he really did NOT want to be urinating there and took questions so he could get it out as quickly as possiable.

Jim Aitchison (Ambulance Man)
Nice man, the first fellow contestant to shake me by the glans after the show.

Ken Williams (UNEMPLOYED)
I did not like this man one little bit. So i pissed on him three times in the 2nd round. First time it worked. Second time it didn't. So he went for me. But i got him in the end. HA HA HA.

Click here if in doubt.

And remember kids, don't have nightmares.
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

K_Oranj wrote:Totally irrelevant to the mystery in hand (though I may have some info on that if the price is right)
I'm getting nowhere with my attempts to try and locate the answer to the original question - are you going to enlighten us anytime soon, K_Oranj?
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy