How to read the output from a refill key

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Oli

How to read the output from a refill key

Post by Oli »

Hello everyone, i've searched to see if this is already been posted but couldn't find it.

I've recently purcahsed a refill key but have not had chance to use it yet. I know that the refill key shows how much is in the hopper, how much the last win was and volume adjust options. My question is: How is all this shown on the small screen? I know that it will display something like "105 x 20" which means that it needs £20 to be put in for the hopper to be full (meaning the machine has an £125 hopper), correct? But how is the 'last win' displayed and how do you adjust the volume?

I am asking this purley because when i do use it, i want to be quick so i have less chance of being caught and i'm not standing there wondering what all the garbled code on the screen means! :)

On a side note, i've heard that machines have a system that alerts the bar staff when a refill key is entered. Is this true and if so is it very widespread or is it only used on a few machines?

Thanks in advance. Oli
Matty

Post by Matty »

Admin why dont you put at the top of the general forum a "sticky" called re-fill keys yeah makes sense and clear any un-answered questions about them !
Gone.But not forgotton 16th Aug 2006..............
Nixxy

Re: How to read the output from a refill key

Post by Nixxy »

oli212 wrote:My question is: How is all this shown on the small screen? I know that it will display something like "105 x 20" which means that it needs £20 to be put in for the hopper to be full (meaning the machine has an £125 hopper), correct?
Close - infact it'll probably say 100p x 20 (it doesn't use a pound sign, it uses 100p instead) so as you say, in a £125 hopper, a machine displaying that info is £20 shy of a full hopper.
oli212 wrote:But how is the 'last win' displayed and how do you adjust the volume?
There're very few machines in pubs these days that'll let you look at the last bank info or adjust the volume as the relevant DIL switchy-thingybob is usually set to stop guys like us looking at that sort of info. But if you do find one, it usually involves pressing Cancel/Exchange/Collect or Start repeatedly to toggle through the options. Volume is usually controlled by holding down the middle hold button whilst turning the key and then using the hi-lo hold buttons to increase or decrease the volume - or at least it used to work that way. It's been a few years since I last bothered!
oli212 wrote:On a side note, i've heard that machines have a system that alerts the bar staff when a refill key is entered. Is this true and if so is it very widespread or is it only used on a few machines?
I'll eat my mousemat if that's true - it'd be far easier to simply make the machine alarm go off than go to extravagant measures like that.
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
spa

Re: How to read the output from a refill key

Post by spa »

oli212 wrote:Hello everyone, i've searched to see if this is already been posted but couldn't find it.

I've recently purcahsed a refill key but have not had chance to use it yet. I know that the refill key shows how much is in the hopper, how much the last win was and volume adjust options. My question is: How is all this shown on the small screen? I know that it will display something like "105 x 20" which means that it needs £20 to be put in for the hopper to be full (meaning the machine has an £125 hopper), correct? But how is the 'last win' displayed and how do you adjust the volume?

I am asking this purley because when i do use it, i want to be quick so i have less chance of being caught and i'm not standing there wondering what all the garbled code on the screen means! :)

On a side note, i've heard that machines have a system that alerts the bar staff when a refill key is entered. Is this true and if so is it very widespread or is it only used on a few machines?

Thanks in advance. Oli
There are some machine that will let you adjust the volume, astra lo techs, or the old ones anyway, not tried Party Times etc, don't play them. Why would you want to adjust the volume out of interest?
Oli

Post by Oli »

Thank you that was very helpful. I dont want to adjust the volume i just wanted to know how it was done. :)

One final question on the matter: What is the cut-off point between playing a machine and not playing a machine? £20 short of a full hopper? £30?

Thanks.
JustAnotherClone

Post by JustAnotherClone »

If there was a guaranteed amount then most of us would have guaranteed income which is not the case.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

oli212 wrote:

I'll eat my mousemat if that's true - it'd be far easier to simply make the machine alarm go off than go to extravagant measures like that.
Isn't there something that might make you eat your mousemat nixxy? I've seen a 'blue' box on the wall of some pubs, where it shows the 'status' of all the machines on the premises. I've seen bar staff fiddle with these when alarms are going off. They also automatically call the engineer etc...

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
rocket

Post by rocket »

I mentioned this in a post the other day - shall we not have a couple of sticky posts for this kind of thing? No problems with people asking - we all had to find out sometime - but it's just the same topics are coming up time and time again.
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

Matt Vinyl wrote:Isn't there something that might make you eat your mousemat nixxy? I've seen a 'blue' box on the wall of some pubs, where it shows the 'status' of all the machines on the premises. I've seen bar staff fiddle with these when alarms are going off. They also automatically call the engineer etc...

Argh! Stop smiling Vinyl! What makes it seriously not funny is that it's one of those mousemats with a wrist-rest filled with gel :x

I'm interested in this blue box thingy - how big is it, does it make a noise? Lights? Numbers on display? Big spotlight that shines on guilty player? Give us a good description so I can keep an eye out!
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Mmm, Jelly! LOL

I'll take a butchers shortly when I get to the pub in question. I'd say it's about 6 inches wide by 4-5 inches tall. Blue facia with a green backlit LCD display. There's white writing on it and I'm sure the name of it begins with 'M'.

I'll post more details when I find 'em!

Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Matt Vinyl wrote:I'd say it's about 6 inches wide by 4-5 inches tall.
Really? I'd go to the doctor about that one mate! :P :D :wink:

Matt
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
Oli

Post by Oli »

MIDDAS perhaps? That's the name of the company who apparently supply this alarm thingy. But this was my just my mate telling me, so i didnt know how reliable the info was!
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

MIDAS - that's it!!!! :)

MattB - now, now! ;) ;) ;)

Oli

Post by Oli »

I suppose it is true then! What's odd though, is that i've googled "MIDAS" and "MIDAS alarm system" and "fruit machine refill key alarm" to death and can't find ANYTHING related at all. Not even any fourms confirming its true.

I would like to know some more about this blue box though. Where is it usually located? Behind by the bar? By the machines? Is it particularly loud when it goes off, or just enough to get the attention of staff? Are they in a lot of pubs/clubs around you, or just a few? I haven't noticed any near where i live. Is it usually ignored or do the staff go over to the player and make a scene?

Thanks, Oli.
neil222

Post by neil222 »

:( :( :( :( :(
fat fat fat i tell you