Programming

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
lukee1

Programming

Post by lukee1 »

Does anyone find this career interesting ? As in do this as an actual job ?, (Fruit prog of course),

If you had a interview with hmm lets say bellfruit, do you think it would be an advantage if you mentioned you played fruits for a living professionally or do you think they just would not trust you ?
Real Pro gamer

Post by Real Pro gamer »

I think the trust would go right outta the window, it would be the worst thing u could say
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

the worst thing you could say.
unfortunately, programming is turning into a lower and lower paid job on a monthly basis. i was talking to some programmers where i work (shipped over from india) who were telling me that a few have tried to get their hours reduced so they can spend more hours working in tesco's (night shift) stacking shelves as it pays more.
they (the indian c++ programmers where i work) earn a little more than minimum wage/
jeffvickers

Post by jeffvickers »

Fruit machine programmers must be VERY RICH. Bet they have lots of "side" businesses to launder used notes & coins
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

The programming of fruit machines is too simple for it to warrant a large salary, especially when you consider how often they so obviously re-use large chunks of code from previous machines. It's probably a circa £20,000 a year job. Any code they do produce will no doubt be checked for anything dubious (these things would be fairly obvious), so the chance of them putting in a button code hopper dump is next to nil.
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

lukee1 wrote:Does anyone find this career interesting ? As in do this as an actual job ?, (Fruit prog of course),

If you had a interview with hmm lets say bellfruit, do you think it would be an advantage if you mentioned you played fruits for a living professionally or do you think they just would not trust you ?
what languages can you write in?
jb13

Post by jb13 »

English
lukee1

Post by lukee1 »

pokerpete wrote:what languages can you write in?
well my job is CAM programming although i do a lot of scripting, i know these would not fit the criteria of fruit programming but i dont think it would be difficult for me to pick up i just wondered what was the basic wage for one of these but reading some of the comments it's not worth even suggesting (Think i will stick to part time playing)
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

Your Indian friends are getting rinsed if they are earning minimum wage..

£20k is a healthy junior/graduate programmers salary, the people who code/test/design machines for production will be getting paid a proper programmers wage for sure

Although as far as I'm aware the major manu's have contractors from the US code the machines to cover their asses.
dakky

Post by dakky »

Noels Beard wrote:The programming of fruit machines is too simple for it to warrant a large salary, especially when you consider how often they so obviously re-use large chunks of code from previous machines. It's probably a circa £20,000 a year job. Any code they do produce will no doubt be checked for anything dubious (these things would be fairly obvious), so the chance of them putting in a button code hopper dump is next to nil.
Coding in something like the bellfruit superhold trick could be easy and very easy for it not to be obvious what you have done (depending how the rest of the section is written).
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

dakky wrote:Coding in something like the bellfruit superhold trick could be easy and very easy for it not to be obvious what you have done (depending how the rest of the section is written).
Code nowadays is "version controlled" meaning each publication of code is logged, down to the specific line and will have the authors name date time (something like this), so they will always get found out, regardless of whether it was intentional or not
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Just get a 500 programmed and retire lol
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
lukee1

Post by lukee1 »

betchrider wrote:Just get a 500 programmed and retire lol
hahaha
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Dunhamzzz wrote:Your Indian friends are getting rinsed if they are earning minimum wage..

£20k is a healthy junior/graduate programmers salary, the people who code/test/design machines for production will be getting paid a proper programmers wage for sure

Although as far as I'm aware the major manu's have contractors from the US code the machines to cover their asses.
you haven't got a scooby if you think big corporations aren't getting chinese and indian grads on minimumum wage (sometimes less, as they tie them in to rental deals) and a working visa for the ukto code for them.
those 50-70k 'developers' jobs do exist, but if you think they are paying for your coding skills you are incorrect.
lukee1

Post by lukee1 »

oldskool wrote:you haven't got a scooby if you think big corporations aren't getting chinese and indian grads on minimumum wage (sometimes less, as they tie them in to rental deals) and a working visa for the ukto code for them.
those 50-70k 'developers' jobs do exist, but if you think they are paying for your coding skills you are incorrect.
What would they be paying you for then ?, so you don't do something dodgy ?