Is playing a losers profession?

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
sir ratholer

Is playing a losers profession?

Post by sir ratholer »

Whilst I do it myself, I think it is.

I'm surrounded by people that I don't trust, doing something I hate, for mediocre money and, for the most part, having little edge on machines.

The last bit may surprise you. But really what edge is there playing electros? Features are blocked to fuck. How many times do you break even or make/lose a few quid? How many times do you lose/break even on a chipped Hilo?

Mediocre money is another thing people may be surprised about - but it is. 100-300 a day working my arse off, I'm sorry but with the aggro isn't good enough. If I was earning 500 plus a day like I was last summer on rr/rob da banks etc then I wouldn't be complaining.

As for the people, there are few players you can completely trust. There are some good guys on this forum though, amongst others. I have to put up with being double crossed on a regular basis, people calling me to try and get locations/route patterns off me to feed to other people.

Fuck all of this shit. If you're top of the food chain, fair play to you. Im not. Just someone who grafts to put food on the table for his family. You may mock me but if any of you haven't thought any of the above at any time I think you'd be lying.
Bored of the grind.
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

I just want to clarify about the money thing, I'm well aware it's more than a lot of others make doing conventional employment. But they get no headfucks for their money, and it's guaranteed, plus a lot get company car/petrol which they can use and have less expenses.

The perfect deal situation has got on my nerves too. Like other empties like Indy Grail it's a free for all over several days. When you have a huge edge in this game, unless you're a top top boy, it lasts no time at all. Its better to be an innovator than a follower in this life, and most players are merely followers. I'm innovating something at the moment which I'm hoping will be far huger than machines ever will be, or have been.
Bored of the grind.
pickareel

Post by pickareel »

i hate playing fruits,dont get me wrong ive done ok off this game,but i still wish i went down the careers office with my mates all those years ago,instead i went down magic city for a slot,to be honest there is so many pro's and cons over the whole player vs job and normal life scenario,i always knew from a very young age i'd never have a normal job...way i've always seen it is people spend half there life at work and 90% of people hate there jobs so why spend half your life not enjoying it?i know i stated i dont like playing machines,but it's the freedom i like,and the fact you can sleep as much as you want,that aside i'd give it up for wife kids mortgage and a 9 to 5
i got more routes than loreal
Glendale

Post by Glendale »

Just had this conversation with another player and as kesh says it beats working but the comments and accusations wear you down so much at times! Ive just had a week off ill and been lovely to have a week off to be honest! I only do this for the money and dont think many long term players would say they enjoy it if honest!
I am Glendale, much better than you!
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

I know what you mean there kesh, I could easily have walked into a decent job after I graduated but by then I could smash jpms so I didn't bother.

Yes you do have freedom and most people don't enjoy their job either. But all they have to do is put up with a David Brent like boss and that's it, we have to deal with aggro from various sources and for what edge/money?! Really it's not great is it?

It's not really a player v job debate, more of an assessment of what a joke its all become, mainly there I mean how little edge you have and the ridiculous desperation that many players seem to display on a regular basis.
Bored of the grind.
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

I enjoy playing machine, getting on the road staying in lodges hotels ect, having a laugh at night in the room n that. i didnt do very well at school so i was happy to be out earning evryday even when i was 16 just making steady money sitting in arcades, would hate to sit in an office ect saving up to go on holiday, and having to budget.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

slots beat working a bad job, but a good job that you enjoy is far more satisfying and fulfilling.

The secret is to get a job that you like. Then you'll wonder what on earth you were doing playing fruits. The problem is, that after several years of playing fruits for a living, it becomes very hard to get out of that lifestyle and discipline yourself to rejoin normal society.

You also have lost those years in advancing in whatever job that you like.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

thecannonball89 wrote:I enjoy playing machine, getting on the road staying in lodges hotels ect, having a laugh at night in the room n that. i didnt do very well at school so i was happy to be out earning evryday even when i was 16 just making steady money sitting in arcades, would hate to sit in an office ect saving up to go on holiday, and having to budget.
Some good times for sure on road trips, always nice to go to places where staff and other players don't know you, but pretty demoralising when you don't find much. Which incidentally if things don't improve, will be happening to a town near you very soon...
Bored of the grind.
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

Life is routine no matter what you do and in the end you just get sick of everything really! Most people are shitheads too who will fuck you over if they had the chance. You sound like a good all inclusive holiday is needed and you would soon be back to speed mate. Things always look better when you are on the outside looking in but they ain't.
how about a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

Stevie S wrote:Life is routine no matter what you do and in the end you just get sick of everything really! Most people are shitheads too who will fuck you over if they had the chance. You sound like a good all inclusive holiday is needed and you would soon be back to speed mate. Things always look better when you are on the outside looking in but they ain't.
Thats one thing fruits have paid for! Wouldnt mind jetting off to the Caribbean again soon, thats for sure. But I don't think it would change my outlook, especially on the feeding off scraps and my views on most other players, whose moral standards are in a cesspit somewhere.
Bored of the grind.
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

You're correct Sir Ratholer, it's a total joke now. It has been for a few years now though. There were 2 emptiers going back a few years that lasted a good long while. Did very well on these because of taking good care and just the amount of time they lasted.

Plus the empties that come out now are for new fruits. Royle Family had been in the pubs / arcades ages until that empty came out. The only recent empty that did last for a bit was Connect 4.
redlinesman

Post by redlinesman »

I personally think it's a great game, mainly to do with the freedom and the control you have and the ability to make good money, the buzz of having a good day etc. I don't like to be associated or compared to a lot of fruit players because I know there are a lot out there who will do anything to survive and are the types of people I certainly wouldn't mix with and are definatley not my kind.

Saying that, there are some players out there who have a maturity, set of morals and a way life that I can relate to. The problem is with fruit playing is your personal development and life experience does suffer. Many lack social skills and nearly all will never pick up the social ability that a full time job or career would have provided. There's also the point where it is a quite selfish existence, this could be said for anyone making a living from gambling or many other things, because of the lack of contribution to society or the world. Like someone mentioned, there are pros and cons but hopefully many of us will move onto pastures new at some point.
ob

Post by ob »

An interesting topic, you do tire of the endless barrings and people moping on at you....

I suppose we all, well most of us certainly I bet, were somewhat addicts in the first place to gambling, and the buzz of either beating the system or the winning etc.etc.

This quickly evaporates once ur a regular "player" into an "addiction" as such to an easy lifestyle, where u can work low hours that you control, and "sometimes" make decent sums of money. (PS> for some people this might equate to long hours and maxmising money making!) Even when you are not enjoying it anymore with the comments and the barrings, you put up with it, as its easy enough money and you just don't have the motivation to do anything else; especially since you're so far removed from the normal "work routine".

What the demoralising thing is, is that unlike other jobs where your prospects rise, your prospects actually fall with this line of "work" as more and more people come into the game, and games themselves get more and more tight, albeit the odd game that has a flaw that can be emptiable - which as we saw doesn't really last 5 minutes compared to older stuff! Also there is the knowledge that at any point they could just release rafts of shit games, games could become random and thus shit and so on and so forth....

I mean I know alot of us wish we hadn't got started on it in the first place me included...

But... hey... on the plus side it's been a nice easy and sometimes fun lifestyle, which has banked me a fair few quid so I can't knock it too much eh...
Master of Games

Post by Master of Games »

we're all just scumbags, basically. I'd just say we're better than thieves, muggers, drug dealers, arms dealers, er...pimps... but we are still in that group of people, sadly.
To talk much and arrive nowhere is the same as climbing a tree to catch a fish.
BFK

Post by BFK »

But all the above are against the law MOG, playing isnt.