who was the first player ever

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Relive that horrible day. We have all been there !!!

http://www.fruit-emu.com/forums/files/f ... i-1280-dx/

The mark II nudges were never random like the original. If the jackpot was near, it would always give you one nudge too little. First set of reels I ever memorised and repeated on most subsequent JPM's.
Roulette free since December 2011.
stakechanger

Post by stakechanger »

I must state I am not Glendale as you all assume . I have had the pleasure of two days out with him and made a very tidy sum. I have met a few of this site and look forward to more posts , the question stated was who trained who .
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

oscars post has got me all wet , gooey and nostalgic inside lol, well done rich,,,,, so in an effort to keep it going , let me muse over some of my earliest memories , probably be a bit boring to those of you who started with vivids/reds etc ,,, but hey ho.

my early years were very similar , we had an arcade called family leisure that had no age restriction and crystals by the bus station that was supposedly over 16's only,lol , in family leisure you could buy a plate of chips n beans for 50p ,,,, and those wanky cresta plastic cup drinks with attached straw for 10p,,,,,,, back then playing the likes of rat race , master spy , fruit cracker , spoof , ace chase , copperama , win-a-gain etc . ,,,,, we didn't really touch the 10p a go machines back then , they were very alien to us and a rich mans game , out of reach to the 40p in your pocket 14 yr old kid brigade, ,,,,, in fact if someone was on the 10p fruits we used to look on in awe naively thinking he must be a very rich man indeed lol

back then an 80p raise was perfectly respectable , a 3quid plus day would be a great day , and of course you would have the uber rare occasional 8quid plus day , which made you feel like a king ........ a 3quid day for me always always resulted in me buying a £1.99 mastertronic /codemasters/ firebird commodore 64 game , a plate of aforementioned chips n beans , and a luxury bus fayre home

but sadly those days were far and few between , most of the time was spent losing your shirt and walking home starving , ,,,, we all had those last credit oscar days , cash or bust started early for me .

then it was back to offering to wash your dads car (or anyone elses in the street for that matter) or any odd jobs that could net you a quid to put you back in the game.

a quid doesn't sound alot , but back then i would always be going halves with bik and a 2quid float was ample to take on a ratrace ,,,,,,,,, sadly without mobile phones you had to make arrangements the night before , and occasionally if you were 5 minutes late for doors , bik or myself would be skint lol ,

then there were the rough kids that used to rob your money , so it was always a case of checking family leisure first and if 1 of em were in there we would go crystals and then go back in an hour hoping they were skint and long gone , not lurking around looking for someone to terrorise lol

back then life was so much better ,,,,, a losing day meant nothing , knowing that you lived with ya parents with no financial worries , no bills and plenty to eat, a winning day meant games n sweets etc and not a care in the world .

look at us now , adults ,,,,,,,,,, financial responsibility , worries and headaches all over the shop. :) ,,,,,,,, and ironically full circle , back to struggling to make 3quid lol
Little discipline = BIG issue

harry2

Post by harry2 »

Two or three of us used to team up on a Saturday when machines paid tokens. Getting a casual player the £2 jackpot by knowing the reels resulted in a 20p "tax". A fiver a day was plenty of money then. If it was quiet, you'd play the video games. Defender, Missile Command, Galaxians etc.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Ps was playing the 20p/£10 Snakes and Ladders the other day. When fruits actually had some amusement in them.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Yeah great story Rich, as Traildrop said, we've all been there.

I lost count the amount of times I did my fish and chip money in the fruity in the chippy.

Went home starving and told mum I ate it on the way back!!

As for the original who trained who???

Well it's impossible to know. I knew of some proper clued up guys in the £6 token days. As early as I can remember any 'pros'

Wonder if they're still around now??? Came into my local arcade once and destroyed anything with bwb on it!!
JG

Post by JG »

The question asked was 'who was the very first player?'
Your post also mentions training and influence. Those words are too formal in many respects to be applied to playing machines for a living. They're better suited to describing a choice of career. No one signs up to a fruit machine training package. No one is influenced by an article in a newspaper about some blabber mouth claiming to earn a living on machines. They think, what a delusional saddo. Or at least they used to before it became way more common knowledge that you can win on machines.
So what influenced me? Well I have a personality flaw. I'm a gambler. As a kid I didn't really mingle with the rich elite in Monte Carlo or Vegas but the nearest swimming pool to where I lived was in St Nicholas Park Warwick and in the cafe nearby, there were a collection of 2p machines with the requisite mustard buttons.
If someone left 10p in a locker, happy days. I didn't care if I didn't win. It wasn't just gambling, there was a complex allure. Who really knew what all the buttons did? Well luckily the man who collected the pools money did. One day after a fun session of splashing around and long after my bright orange armbands had been deflated. I had found a 10p in the locker room. Who had left it there? A senile granny? A delinquent child charged with looking after their verrucae sock maybe had over looked the refunded 10p. I'm sure swimming pool lockers were universal but you went into the changing rooms, put 10p in the slot, turned the key which was on a rubber band and wore the rubber band on your wrist or (if you were a bit odd - your ankle.....come on.....which of you did this? It was always the show offy kids in my opinion). After your swim you would return to the changing room after selecting the correct shower. There were 5 showers in total. One would give a lovely warm squirt of water for two seconds, forcing you to push the metal button repeatedly until you developed RSI. Shower two was the pissiest dribble of water you had ever seen, but it dribbled on for an age. Shower three had the perfect mix. A powerful jet of water that went on for a satisfactory time. Shower four was stone cold and shower five was like shower three but with an unexplained aroma of poo. Anyway, I'm wasting your time, you don't need to know this.
So I had my 10p and I picked this one machine that I cannot remember what it was called. Naturally this met with my parents disapproval, but on my final press everything lit up, buttons I had not seen before. I was confused, mustard buttons lit up like a Christmas Tree and one important looking electric blue rectangular button higher up the fascia flashed frenetically. Naturally I turned to my parents, but they had not received the appropriate training from the Glendale school of AWP advancement. However the cheery pools man was in there. He had the necessary skills and auto nudged in bells for 80p after pressing a complex sequence of buttons. I was made. 80p was a huge huge sum of money.

When I moved to Leicester what old arcades did we have? I remember Crystals or Krystals was a night club near the bus station. There was also an original puzzle bubble in the station cafe and that old skill snooker ball game. There was whatsisname Carey on Granby Street and then right down by the Sainsburys near the bus station. That had a cafe and stuff like Dr Who and Indy in there. No B3s back then. The Thomas's used to be further down past Argos it had Donkey Kong, Crystal Fairground rebuild, Big Breakfast and Dr. Who.
Enough.
JG
JG

Post by JG »

A little later on in that cafe, they got the Triple 111 cabinets in with 2p a go £5 Martians on there. One day on the 2p stake I saw the silver planet on £3.20 and the bronze was on 80p. I got stuck in, but it took the piss. £7 for the first asteroid bonus that gave amounts for £1.80 then that back plus another £5 for the now £4.10 silver. I did put 20p in one once and got the sun for £5 though, which was nice.
JG
cp999

Post by cp999 »

There was a method on American slots in the 1940s. It's briefly referred to here http://www.scribd.com/doc/88539558/5/Scarne-on-Gambling (page 55).
Glendale

Post by Glendale »

Beats me why you think im stakechanger paul! Not been on here for weeks as busy at the moment! Off on holiday with my newcastle lads to majorca tomorrow so hopefully he will post while im away! Wish i was him as his bank account is 10 times what mine is and im not poor!
I am Glendale, much better than you!
JG

Post by JG »

How much money does he have in the bank?
JG
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

sounds like it could be 7 figures?
Going skint....
stakechanger

Post by stakechanger »

It's been a busy week . Have the greatest of times on your travels .. I truly cannot believe nobody was doing the electro Maldon area.
stakechanger

Post by stakechanger »

And Glendale I will sort what we spoke about . Happy holidays
BFK

Post by BFK »

Hahahahahaha!!!!!