Pub Food

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

What's the most unusual thing anyone has eaten? I've tried Kangaroo, Frog, Crocodile, Snails, but that's just second grade weird. Anyone eaten anything really really weird?!!
JG

Post by JG »

I've had puréed Sharks Fin soup
JG
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

Noels Beard wrote:What's the most unusual thing anyone has eaten? I've tried Kangaroo, Frog, Crocodile, Snails, but that's just second grade weird. Anyone eaten anything really really weird?!!
Raw horses liver (gross), boiled pig intestine soup (not bad but stinks), a shot of snakes blood (gross), jellyfish tentacles (quite tasty !), bird gizzards (ok), all manner of weird sea creatures (mostly gross).
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

in thailand i reluctantly tried 1 bite of some kind of fried beetle ,,,,,,, horrible.

in some countries they eat dog , ,,,,,,,,, our initial reaction is '' no fucking way , thats shocking , dirty bastards '' etc ,,,,,,,,,, but when you think on it a little more , it's still only meat , and in some cultures its seen as just as discusting to eat beef pork or lamb etc

im not a celebrity , but get me the fuck out of here anyway .
Little discipline = BIG issue

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Those burgers are an amusing product... When frozen they look quite nice, some/most kebab shops will defrost them and maybe even display them in view in a chiller that forms part of the serving area....

The more defrosted they get, the more grey and manky looking.... Whereas if the are still frozen, they look a nice red-pink beefy colour....

Either way, when cooked they look like shot and taste like shit!
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

I've eaten frogs legs, taste like tiny bits of chewy fatty chicken....
Horse steak and horse burgers
foie gras, caviar, kangaroo steak (not just the ones from walkabout either)
Also, I've had swordfish.. I wouldn't say that's that uncommon... But it soon will be...
had a few other bit'n'bobs but can't think off the top of my head....

Anyone been to Thailand? Or hongkong? Some odd stuff for sale there....
Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

Spyder wrote:Those burgers are an amusing product... When frozen they look quite nice, some/most kebab shops will defrost them and maybe even display them in view in a chiller that forms part of the serving area....

The more defrosted they get, the more grey and manky looking.... Whereas if the are still frozen, they look a nice red-pink beefy colour....

Either way, when cooked they look like shot and taste like shit!

well it may be the case in some places however I don know one of the guys that works in one of the takeaways quite well... since they often in the bookies, there are clearly different grades of burgers, those made from minced meat and those that consist of "paste" substance.

They higher quality ones are of noticable taste and quality different so its not the same burger defrosted for longer, though i'm sure that the paste type ones are frozen.
Roll_With_It_Russ

Captain.Tattybojangles wrote:Usual "White fish" isn't that normally Pollock?
According to trading standard white fish can be any white fleshed fish... if its cheap it not going to of been caught in this country.

Often its some that has been farmed in vietnam or some other far east country.

Bit like this... http://www.marketplace.org/topics/susta ... thout-risk
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

The term 'white fish' means simply that... They dont tell you what it is, cause if you looked it up on the internet it wouldn't be a particularly nice looking thing....

to sell as cod and haddock, they are supposed to be what they are..

The burgers do come in various types, I wasn't saying they dont Russ, I was just saying most types look better frozen...

The meat content varies that much that you can buy a box of 48 'burgers' for around £3... 'beef burgers' have to contain a minimum of beef, I think this is around 35% or something stupid, going up to 99% (there will usually be at least 1% binders salt/pepper and or flavorings and preservatives) a fully beef 1/4lb burger will be roughly 60p each

The 'paste' burgers are the ones I was saying change colour when defrosted... They always get delivered frozen, as the shelf life once defrosted is about 24 hours... They are made from MRM (mechanically recovered meat) and are the same as really really cheap sausage... Id say these days, they are hardly used, the next stage up.from them is the same product with a bit of real.meat in...

Most pubs will use a 80% meat burger, because a lot of the competition will be using 100% (99+1)

the foods standards agency visited me once, trading standards had had a complaint about me selling 'onion rings' without disclaiming on my menu that "the onion rings may be reformed from chopped onion". Apparently this is a big problem... Lol

There's a lot of food guidelines about menu writing....

Did you know that 'home-made" food means that "at least two ingredients have been put together on site"

A simple example is "homemade beer batter" in chain pubs.... Its easy to make homemade batter... A pint of bitter from the bar and a packet of powder from the kitchen..

You could claim a homemade cottage pie- microwaveable one from Tesco and melt a small amount of cheese on top.. Sprinkle of mixed herbs.... Boom... Homemade...

One that was used in some pubs was homemade apple pie..... Bought in, with confectionary sugar sprinkled on top before serving....

The guidelines, labeling and menu wording is only partly controlled... Many things are left for whoever writes it to ' interpret ' the legal meanings of the guidelines and bend the wording so far out of proportion that customers think they are getting something special....

Lol im on my mobile... I have no idea how long this post is... I'll stop boring you soon
Roll_With_It_Russ

Not boring at all, i'm just happy that i'm not the only one who seems pissed off with such things
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

pollack and colley are not bad looking fish and i'd assume these are what's used 'most' of the time. i'm waiting for a scandal showing mud skipper dna has been found in harry ramsden's samples
Marcossvon

Post by Marcossvon »

I believe that the alternative for cod and haddock going around is the Vietnamese catfish. Cheaper than most anything else. I'd gladly take coley!!
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Hoki is cheap at the minute...

pretty much any white fish is fine, it white an and will be whatever they catch that is from the correct part of the sea...

At least most manufacturers have stopped using the really shit offcuts and colouring them to be a whiter colour for fish fingers and battered reformed products....

What I learned about food production over the last 5-10 years has made me seriously consider getting an allotment and turning vegetarian...

Search YouTube for 'compassion in world farming' they have some fantastic videos....

Lol... Won't stop me drinking yellow dyed pissy lager and munching on a doner kebab tonight tho...
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

There's a lot of subject matter on food, food production, food labeling and what is guidelined or legal.... And if you want to keep any sort of non-paranoid eating habit for the future, you are probably better of not reading more than you have to.....

Tv celeb chefs touch the sides a bit, and 'dispatches' sometimes make people cough upon their tv dinner... But the differences in what is considered food now to even 20 years ago is borderlining on the insane..
Ruler of The World

Post by Ruler of The World »

I'm amazed this thread is still on-topic! Could have gone off with the Noble Amusements link but thankfully didn't!

I once tried wagyu (some call it wagu) beef in a restaurant called Hakkasan (now have 2 restaurants, 1 in Hanway Place near TCR and the other in Mayfair). That is the Japanese beef made from little special cows (sort of like cow elves) fed on special grain and apparently they drink beer! Anyway, it is seriously soft, it cannot be cooked any more than medium and it literally melts in your mouth. About a burger's worth cost me £60 the 1 and only time I tried it and apparently you can get a sandwich of it from Selfridges at £85 a pop! I recommend everyone tries it.

Other than that, Wimpy burgers are great, the meat is proper decent meat which apparently costs them a quid per patty. You can taste the quality.