What is LUCK?

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

what about winning the lottery, if you play it you have the odds to win, though due to the capped payouts and distribution of prizes you would be considered lucky to repeateded beat the game.

there will be a few winners, but many losers... the parts that have player influence(selection of numbers, choice of when to play) doe not revlove around luck.
martdaman

Post by martdaman »

lol
Roll_With_It_Russ

whats funny?
Ruler of The World

Post by Ruler of The World »

A very disappointing selection of answers... firstly I never mentioned good or bad luck, just luck itself. Best bit was when someone wrote go tit, LOL

The point I was making is, what does anything have to do with anything? If you have a bad day you were 'unlucky' but if you had a good day you were 'lucky'... meaning what? What was different? It was your good luck that you hit the 1st fruit for £200 raise and bad luck for the guy who was going to get there before you but couldn't because he had a bout of food poisoning because the night before he had had his car clamped and didn't have time to get a decent meal so he had those dodgy fried chicken wings????

A bit of a random example, I'll agree but makes my point quite well...
Roll_With_It_Russ

I was reading a book last year called "the luck factor"

quite boring on the whole but it clearly makes the case that the perception of luck is about events occuring that seem unlikely, where as those that are lucky ususally just give themselves more chance of being lucky.

as in "you make your own luck"

think that twat derren brown did a program on about how some are lucky and unlucky, one of his better efforts over the years.
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

Ruler of The World wrote:A very disappointing selection of answers... firstly I never mentioned good or bad luck, just luck itself. Best bit was when someone wrote go tit, LOL

The point I was making is, what does anything have to do with anything? If you have a bad day you were 'unlucky' but if you had a good day you were 'lucky'... meaning what? What was different? It was your good luck that you hit the 1st fruit for £200 raise and bad luck for the guy who was going to get there before you but couldn't because he had a bout of food poisoning because the night before he had had his car clamped and didn't have time to get a decent meal so he had those dodgy fried chicken wings????

A bit of a random example, I'll agree but makes my point quite well...
Yes. Luck is mostly due to yours (or others) perception of expected outcome. The whole concept comes from the fundamentally human attitude that everything can be both predicted, and understood. The BBC 4 program I mentioned had a rather nice piece in this, it's referred to as Scientific Determinism I believe. Because we all have an expectation of outcome, that is innate to our perception of the world (when you drop something it hits the floor), we can't help but carry with us expectations of what we can expect in any given circumstance. When something exceeds, or falls short, we can refer to it as luck. However, all outcomes are - given enough data, predictable. I've touched upon this before when we talked about Chaos Theory. The human desire to wish to predict outcomes without the necessary information is the fundamental basis behind the concept of luck, and has significance in matters of religion and superstition as well.
Marcossvon

Post by Marcossvon »

The more I practice the luckier I get.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Luck is hitting a 7-10-9 off a red box board on a perfect.

Some days you'll hit it others u won't.

General luck is gettin away with a shit number on the bonus on the same machine. I can honestly say I reckon I'm one in 10. Yet others seem to constantly get away with it.

Luck on £500's does happen. Read MOF's diary on potty for evidence.

Not a dig at all AMK. But u have said to me many times that while trying to play down heat on machine X you've been peanuts into another £500 and dropped something stupid. Likewise when u thought u were on to something in galas. Dropping gold pots on 20p stake. Would never take anything away from ur playing and thought process what so ever. Clever guy who deserves what u get. No doubt.

Luck is buddylove and MOF not playing a rainbow and doing £500 without a feature. Yet common place for me.

Luck is JG's misses discovering something that would lead to something massive. No skill involved there.

Not just machines, luck evolves to other fields. I've never had any.
ob

Post by ob »

The thing is, all this "lucky" person marlarky is rubbish really, as its just what has happened in the past; in the future everyone is likely as anyone else to be "lucky" in any respect...

The worst sort of luck surely is being in a fatal accident or being diagnosed with cancer etc. could happen just as easily to someone perceived as "lucky" as someone else who is skint and an alcoholic, this bit of "bad luck" puts into perspective shit on machines.
The Dark Horse

Post by The Dark Horse »

I think the point ROTW was making is that no random event can be universally positive for the whole world. What means good luck for you has to mean bad luck for someone else in the world in some way. So no event is actually ever truly "lucky" or "unlucky" so to speak, it's just a single persons or a collectives perception of what happened.

Often your own perceptions of an event can change over years with your attitudes and personal beliefs. For example, you might think it's the luckiest day of your life when you meet your wife randomly on a bus, for years you think, "I'm so lucky I caught up with that 263 bus that day". Then you might curse it as the unluckiest day of your life when she leaves you 10 years later with the kids and half your money, thinking "If only I'd taken the fucking train that day."
Roll_With_It_Russ

ob wrote:The thing is, all this "lucky" person marlarky is rubbish really, as its just what has happened in the past; in the future everyone is likely as anyone else to be "lucky" in any respect...
not really the whole point is that not everyone does have a equal chance, simply because not everyone gives themselves the same chances...

is the person who buys a lottery ticket and wins, luckier than a person that does not buy a ticket.

is the employed person who applied for 10 jobs lucky to have a job, over the unemployed person who never even filled out an application form?
ob wrote: The worst sort of luck surely is being in a fatal accident or being diagnosed with cancer etc. could happen just as easily to someone perceived as "lucky" as someone else who is skint and an alcoholic, this bit of "bad luck" puts into perspective shit on machines.

bad luck getting cancer? last time I looked its 1 in 3... bad luck for just being alive?
Ruler of The World

Post by Ruler of The World »

The Dark Horse wrote:I think the point ROTW was making is that no random event can be universally positive for the whole world. What means good luck for you has to mean bad luck for someone else in the world in some way. So no event is actually ever truly "lucky" or "unlucky" so to speak, it's just a single persons or a collectives perception of what happened.

Often your own perceptions of an event can change over years with your attitudes and personal beliefs. For example, you might think it's the luckiest day of your life when you meet your wife randomly on a bus, for years you think, "I'm so lucky I caught up with that 263 bus that day". Then you might curse it as the unluckiest day of your life when she leaves you 10 years later with the kids and half your money, thinking "If only I'd taken the fucking train that day."
If that were the case you'd have cunts for kids, otherwise despite all of the bad points you'd still be glad you had them, like me :)
deano8177

Post by deano8177 »

Bad luck is I've just backed Hankey to beat van Gerwen in the darts and Hankey has got something in his eye.
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

Marcossvon wrote:The more I practice the luckier I get.
was that a golfer who said that ?
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

Arnold Palmer was the one who said it , class golfer