A surprising first, thinking about it

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Cf

Post by Cf »

Roll_With_It_Russ wrote: As for legal tender, the only uk currency that is, £1 and £2 and £5 pound coins, every thing else is in effect an IOU or bank credit.
Incorrect. English notes are legal tender. Lower coins are also legal tender, although only up to certain amounts.

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/polici ... guidelines
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

Cf wrote:Incorrect. English notes are legal tender. Lower coins are also legal tender, although only up to certain amounts.

No one cares at all really, i had a load of green 50 pound scottish notes....when i was up there doing machines. banks took em fine
Cf

Post by Cf »

Banks will take pretty much anything off your hands. But that has nothing to do with whether it is legal tender or not.
Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

Cf wrote:Incorrect. English notes are legal tender. Lower coins are also legal tender, although only up to certain amounts.

RM is hardly going to say notes are worthless, but legally a promise to pay is only as good as the issuer, you have the pounds then you can't be done, you have the notes, which are as much a lie as bank credit then you don't.

One day the pound will be worthless anyway, happens every few decades with modern currencies.
steelfix1

Post by steelfix1 »

I came back from Scotland just over a year ago with well in excess of a couple of bags,
went Blackpool on the rebound and after splitting the scot notes started playing with them,
in the servos and then Blackpool, not one note was rejected in any machine including the bigger
places such as Coral Island etc so i can't see them being in and way illegal but I have heard of pubs
in England refusing them a bit like some refuse English £50's.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Isn't giving change just a courtesy also. I don't believe there is a LEGAL obligation to do so.
Roulette free since December 2011.
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

"il think youl find that's legal tender!"
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

streakseims wrote:"il think youl find that's legal tender!"
Michael McIntyre. Dont fuck with Scottish ppl trying to board a plane
quizard

Post by quizard »

Bookies FOBTs seem to be programmed to accept most if not all UK banknotes.
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

quizard wrote:Bookies FOBTs seem to be programmed to accept most if not all UK banknotes.
And some other countries lOl
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
Cf

Post by Cf »

harry2 wrote:Isn't giving change just a courtesy also. I don't believe there is a LEGAL obligation to do so.
Settling a debt (ie when the concept of legal tender applies) then no, change is not required to be given.

Any other transaction then it's between the two parties. But generally, yes, give change.
bowie

Post by bowie »

Roll_With_It_Russ wrote:All scottish money is not really worth anything, issued by the bank of scotland, which is bust now, so its worth nothing, but its the same as any other promisary notes, only worth what people have faith in.

As for legal tender, the only uk currency that is, £1 and £2 and £5 pound coins, every thing else is in effect an IOU or bank credit.

RBS? Clydesdale? Wish somebody would've told me sooner BOS was bust, might not bother paying back my overdraft now. As for machines paying out Jock notes, lucky you, I can barely get them to accept them and this is in Fife.
cushelle

Post by cushelle »

Ruler of The World

Post by Ruler of The World »

How sad. Similar to stories I've heard of pubs paying out player's bankings with pennies in jars.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

The Duke of betchington Betchrider