Spamming

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
BFK

Spamming

Post by BFK »

How comes this new up to date board that lets face it still doesnt work correctly, is so prone to spamming and yet the 1990's model wasnt?

It still thinks I havent read posts even when I have...............Arrrrggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Bring back old Fruit Chat or I'm off to potty.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Oh and bring back MOG.
Legend_Returns

Post by Legend_Returns »

These boards cost a lot of money to run and it would be unfair to turn against those that are trying to provide you with a better platform.

I understand your concerns, I'm sure those in higher positions will note your details and fix them as soon as possible.

keep the faith.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Bots are quicker than humans. Have deleted about a dozen posts today. We are trying.
Roulette free since December 2011.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Of course I wasnt serious, Im old school on this site thank you Legend Returns!!!!

I was serious about MOG tho!!
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

why do you need MOG when HRK is back?
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

1. Boards like this do not cost alot of money to run.
2. Do not auto-approve account creation requests. Make moderators approve them.
3. Do not approve obviously gibberish names.
4. Use catchpas and other bot-foiling methods such as custom questions on signup.

Problem solved.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
BFK

Post by BFK »

I take it back Mogu!! I'm off to potty!!!!
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

splitter lol
Little discipline = BIG issue

aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

It's ironic that we can now eliminate 99% of spam on a phpbb board (which is free) but you can't on a VBulletin board (which I can assure you IS more that just reassuringly expensive these days)...
https://www.vbulletin.com/order/
feeder22

Post by feeder22 »

Didn't someone use hrks account a few months back proclaiming to be his aunt or something?
Saying he was dead?
He isn't right of course, he just thinks he is.
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

The cost of running a board is separate to the cost of purchasing. Purchase wise, $195 is not lots of money. Even if you go for the full whack of garbage at $469, that's still only £300. You can spend that on a night out. That number will be reduced further by ad revenue income.

The influx of spam is due to the increased visibility of the board on google due to better SEO techniques in vBulletin, and spambots targeting modern systems (vBulletin, ipBoard) as they tend to have larger communities. So it's not that phpBB eliminated spam, it just wasn't targeted enough for it to be a problem.

Here's a hint for lessening spam in vBulletin: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthr ... ation-Bots

It's really not hard to do.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
kong

Post by kong »

Good post BM, some interesting stuff there. Some of the hints in the linked article are a bit dated though, hence less effective today than they were when it was published. E.g. The suggestions in steps 2 and 3 also now easily bypassed by the spam software.

I believe one of the better suggestions (linked from the page above) is to require moderation of the posts of new users until they reach a certain threshold. Setting the limit as low as just 2 or 3 posts is sufficient because typically the software registered accounts start posting spam / links / irrelevant content immediately. Mods can very easily identify legitimate new users, in which case they clear the posting restriction.
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

blackmogu wrote:The influx of spam is due to the increased visibility of the board on google due to better SEO techniques in vBulletin, and spambots targeting modern systems (vBulletin, ipBoard) as they tend to have larger communities. So it's not that phpBB eliminated spam, it just wasn't targeted enough for it to be a problem.
I disagree. A badly configured phpbb board is just as much of a spam magnet as anything else.
However setting the captcha to a Q&A system with a sensible, non-machine google-able couple of sets gets rid of all the bots, leaving only the occasional determined manual spammer once in a while.

Also if I did choose to pay for a board, it would be Invision I would go for. Much more sensible pricing.