Life

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
redlinesman

Life

Post by redlinesman »

Many people I know have an attitude in life that they are out for everything they can get, life is a competition and you grab everything you can. Sometimes though, if you take a step back and consider what you can give life or the world it gives you a sense of warmth and optimism and your head suddenly begins to break up much of the clutter. A person's mind often tricks them into certain beliefs that they need to act and think in a certain way to survive, much of it is to do with how we were brought up and what we have experienced.

Here I will just give an example that I have personally experienced myself. I used to always believe that I wanted the best of everything, just like many people strive for in our world, there is a competition element there and most people do fall into that trap out of fear and the selfishness that human nature defines. I used to think I wanted the best house possible, the best car, the most expensive clothes. every little thing really, even the wine I drink and stuff I wash my face with. It was a needless disregard of common sense and a project and desire my thinking had subscribed to. Even though I wouldn't quite say these decisions were unhealthy or obsessive, my financial situation meant that I could fufill these desires and confirm my status through the things I bought and money I spent. No one else in my family is really into materialism in a big way and my parents and brother are completely the opposite so I guess I was a product of the society and world I grew up in with releation to this thinking.

I'd say many of the seeds were planted for this thinking in my late teens and early twenties where you become more exposed to things life has to offer. After 2 or 3 years of being like this I began to look and pay more attention to people who seemed to be buying similar things to me and maybe could be regarded as being in a similar status bracket to myself. I had never really considered what other people did or said but a pattern became evident straight away. What these people said and the way they acted I didn't like or agree with, as they seemed to live their lives in a tiny bubble and their minds were hugely restricted to a certain way of thinking. On realisation of this I almost had a panic attack thinking about what if every person in the world strived to have the best of everything, what would the world be like? I quickly came to the conclusion that humanity would be a strain of evil and there would be widespread war and despair just like we see in many countries today that are ruled by dictators. I then asked myself a question regarding who and what I really wanted to be in life?

The realisation of what I was becoming and the path I was taking was brought to my attention by looking at other people. Experiences in the BMW showroom or the Dries Van Noten section at Harvey Nichols made me realise that following this path and looking up to individuals who were successful in this area wasn't a life I would be comfortable with and one that certainly would not be proud of. Of course I still do enjoy some of the finer things in life, I may still have a nice meal or a buy an expensive item of clothing but it doesn't corrupt my mind space and I don't waste time thinking about how I can move another notch up the status ladder. I'll quite happily go to M&S for some jumpers or t shirts and will look for value as well as quality. There are examples of people who want the best of everything all around us but I think people have to realise what life is about themselves, some may find out at college and some may find out in their 90s but the sooner you enlighten your mind the more greatness and happiness you will have in your life. These days, sometimes I'll be thinking about something, I could be playing a machine or sat at home but what I have thought about will trigger a desire to learn and I'll follow it through making me feel alive and giving me a sense of vitality and optimism in the process.

I am glad I changed my thinking and want to continue evolving,

Regards, Sir Linesman
Mystery_Plum

Post by Mystery_Plum »

Does anyone on here fancy Arsenal to get anything out of tonight's AC Milan game?
Scott

Post by Scott »

Arsenal coming off the back of a great comeback against Spurs and a great win at Anfield, plus any side that has RVP in it surely has a chance, won't be rushing to put any money on it though.
Cobwebs 👆
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Post by Been-Grant-Mitchell'd! »

Mystery_Plum wrote:Does anyone on here fancy Arsenal to get anything out of tonight's AC Milan game?
Yes.

I do a Lucky15 in Coral for £3 and I need Arsenal to win 3-2 for a double (Levante won 3-1 last night).
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I think you posted in the wrong thread grant, the Fictitious Bets thread is elsewhere ;)

And as far as this thread goes - I am not reading all that!

Although I am now thinking that I would rather eat a piece of toast and watch the evening news.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Pffffft, hijacking a perfectly good thread with football talk? Shame on us.
Cobwebs 👆
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Post by Been-Grant-Mitchell'd! »

Thumper wrote:I think you posted in the wrong thread grant, the Fictitious Bets
Oi!

It WILL happen!

Get yer money on now!

Any losing bets will be refunded by Redlinesman.
(He sent me a pm promising me this but unfortunately we both deleted them, but his offer still stands).
Mr McStreak

Post by Mr McStreak »

For me the thread started with the second post.

Arsenal go into the game on a high from beating Liverpool and have nothing to lose. I expect a high scoring game, and should be entertaining from a neutral perspective.
Mystery_Plum

Post by Mystery_Plum »

Those are my sentiments too. We all know how capable Arsenal are of scoring against any side, and with RvP on the field if they can get a couple of quick goals and put Milan on the back foot anything is possible. What are your predictions in terms of what the final score will be? I am certain that there will be goals, maybe 3-1 to Arsenal, a gallant effort with the kitchen sink thrown in.

What's everyone having for lunch?

Anyone seen any good films recently?
lukee1

Post by lukee1 »

Mystery_Plum wrote:Does anyone on here fancy Arsenal to get anything out of tonight's AC Milan game?
HAHAHA this thread has made my day XD
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

arsenal all the way
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

red m8 ,,,,,,,,,,,, we are all tempted by the materialistic things in life ,,,,,,,,,,,, but your missing a big point.

it's not always about social climbing / keeping up with the jones/ fitting in etc

a lot of the things we dont need ,,,,,,,,,,,,, we simply buy them because we enjoy them.

i certainly dont pander to peer pressure when buying the latest toy/clothes/whatever ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i buy because i want em , end of.

its true we all buy things in life we dont need , but what should we do ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, walk the earth devoid of material things like caine grasshopper ???? only trying to help others and seek personal enlightenment ,

wait a minute though ,,,,,,,, even he had a flute ,,,,,,, he didn't need that ,,,,,,,,,,,, greedy bastard
Little discipline = BIG issue

redlinesman

Post by redlinesman »

Arsenal v Milan game is a funny one as there is going to be two extremes of mentality going on out there, Milan could just try to shut up shop and that should be enougth under normal circumstances. Robinho isn't normally the same player away from home and ibrahimovic has his own ideas, so if things did start to go wrong for Milan Arsenal could capitalise. Problem is Arsenal's defence is dodgy even though they beat an out of form Spurs and a poor Liverpool side.

My tip for tonight is Benfica ht/ft at 6/4. It's been around 20 degrees in Portugal today and the Zenot players have been playing in below freezing conditions so a change of environment might swing extra advantage to Benfica.

Regards, Sir Linesman
Scott

Post by Scott »

Might have 50k on it.
Cobwebs 👆
redlinesman

Post by redlinesman »

Think it's a good bet Scott but wouldn't fancy sticking a lump on like that. If I end up watching it I'll have £50 interest on.