The beginning of the end - what are your plans?

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
redlinesman

The beginning of the end - what are your plans?

Post by redlinesman »

Has been said so many times before, but now we are finally at the beginning of a real change over in the format of AWP's, the nature of the change also brings a whole host of new problems that will end pro-playing as we know it.

Personally, most of my work will be gone - the overwhelming changes are probably going to put me out of business.

I've got some plans, but my life will change quite dramatically from how it's been over the last decade. What about you guys? Any big plans or ideas?
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

ooh ,,,,,,,, invest into a business ,,,,,,,,, fail miserably ,,,,,,,,,,, park bench ,,,,,,,, last tug ,,,,,,,,, cocktail of domestos and pills.

or buying and selling on ebay ,,,,,,,,

far far far tooooo conditioned to work for somebody else ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, huge chip on my shoulder if you like , from living to my own devices all this time.

i aint sweeping shit or cleaning anyone's toilets .
Little discipline = BIG issue

maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

make hay when the sun shines
Blackcurrantsoda

Post by Blackcurrantsoda »

100 pound jackpots out in April...... The end was supposed to be here a year ago and also when 70's came out...

Let's just see what happens
redlinesman

Post by redlinesman »

No hoax this time, we can't say for sure but it's looking bad, very bad. Emptiers will be a thing of the past and good methods will be virtually impossible to come by.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

some of you boys may need help then, so pray and hope for the return of the boggler! :)
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

here we go again! more doom based effluent.

in one years time* on valentines day 2013 i'll drag this thread back up if nobody else starts another 'end is nigh' thread.

i don't dispute that there'll be changes though but the end isn't even on the horizon.

* i'll probably forget so i'll leave it up to scott to bump it on or around 11th march 2013.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Yeah agreed lugsy, so many of these threads over the years.

Always the same doom merchants to.
deano8177

Post by deano8177 »

Maybe it's the end for him and other people that join the bandwagon when times are good.
I still think there are plenty of good times ahead.
quizard

Post by quizard »

You should cross the bridges when you get there. When you have gone a month and made no money I would start worrying.
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

I'm with deano and quizard on this one!
Mr McStreak

Post by Mr McStreak »

I actually agree with Nostradamus/Redlinesman here, the face of the AWP sector is changing for the worse from a player perspective, any tricks will have a very short life as problems can be corrected remotely. However I only see gradual change taking place over the next year. Everything will become digital in pubs, and why wouldn't it? Digital machines are far more easy to manage and maintain, the days of following the Gamestec van to see what machine is being put where will be over.

It doesn't bother me at all whatever happens, i'd prefer to have loads of money saved up and not have to work, but i'm not in that situation through years of living an excessive and wasteful lifestyle. I'm just happy to have a job. I gave up caring about fruit machines about a year ago, but I think alot of players will be lost without them, especially those who aren't particularly intelligent. Some will adapt, and take a new path in life, but many will fail to come to terms with being unable to nip out and make a quick hundred here and there, and will turn to crime rather than earn minimum wage in some shitty job.
deano8177

Post by deano8177 »

You make it sound as if digital will be the end, what makes u think that. As long as people are putting there money in then there's Gona be money to take out.
Mr McStreak

Post by Mr McStreak »

I most certainly believe that digital signals the beginning of the end.The two main reasons for this are...

Firstly, as pointed out, digital machines will be able to protect themselves from manipulation by simply shutting down, or having the vulnerable game removed in a manner far more efficient than having an engineer drive round all day with a van full of new roms.

Secondly I don't believe your average punter will warm to the digital age, it has been suggested that people trust physical reels far more than seeing the outcome played out on a screen. I prefer actual reels, and I dare say alot of players whether professional or casual do as well. A friend of mine has an arcade, and has several bar x's, plus 3 that are digital. He says on a fortnightly basis even the worst performing reel based bar x still takes more money than the best performing digital one. All games are on the same settings. His customers, both young and old prefer the feel of the reel based version. If punters don't like digital they won't buzz the machines up for the pro's to earn their crust, it's that simple.

What we will end up with in most pubs is a terminal like the Astra made ones housing Bellfruit games, which has a compendium of AWP's on it. The terminal will monitor the stats of each game, observing which games take the most money. Any games which are consistantly getting put behind will be flagged, and tightened up or removed. The scenario will be the tightest games such as Think Big, It's Your Show and other dross on terminals.

That's what I believe will happen over time.
AMK

Post by AMK »

You never know though. Astra might deliver some reel great games, they make the best Lo techs, so let's see how their hi techs pan out.