Other Jobs

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

trayhop123 wrote:so how do you find time to play aswel mr mogu???
I have a strong work ethic :D I also employ staff. I generally don't go out for small money, so unless there is a good earner on, i'll not bother going out since i'll make more working in a day. It works out well, since I don't overplay routes, I don't get recognised or banned. I don't end up scrabbling around the same overplayed hits.

If I fancy a few hours slotting, I just schedule it in. The great thing about being the boss is that you can work as hard or as little as you like.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Still running kernel... wathjamacallit then? Did you start that out just teaching yourself a popular bit of software and offering support or is there more to it? (like you suggested a a wee bit back)
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

uber-pro wrote:Still running kernel... wathjamacallit then? Did you start that out just teaching yourself a popular bit of software and offering support or is there more to it? (like you suggested a a wee bit back)
I went to university and studied computer software technology before building intelligent networks for mobile phone operators for a few years. I have a vast background in I.T, which made it easier for me to start my own business, since it was much more likely that I would be successful and not lose money.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Yeah... Figured it wouldn't be that simple!!! Done a VB course recently, got me thinking computing again. might go for microsoft certification, they still worth getting? Certainly used to be 10 years ago!
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

uber-pro wrote:Yeah... Figured it wouldn't be that simple!!! Done a VB course recently, got me thinking computing again. might go for microsoft certification, they still worth getting? Certainly used to be 10 years ago!
Depends if you want to make good money. If you are happy being an I.T drone, then go for it.

If you want to make decent money and have a challenging job, learn a flavour of unix and go into systems administration.

There is also a lot of money in web developing believe it or not. Learn HTML5, CSS and PHP, along with MySQL and Postgres, and you'll earn a tidy wedge in no time.

PHP is also infinitely useful for data scraping, I've made good money off that this year.

VoIP is also a big area that i'm currently involved in. Look at freeswitch, download it and play around (http://www.freeswitch.org)

Nobody uses VB anymore. Give it up as a bad job. The best you'll get is supporting some shitty legacy application in some small office that has a stale smell.

Cheers,
--bm.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Blackmogu

What VoIP services do you provide ? I also work for the following, whom you may or may not have heard of. Maybe I could put some business your way.

http://www.ipintegration.com

harry
Roulette free since December 2011.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Harry its nice that the client testimonial on the website is from ladbrokes...and that they got your fee back in an afternoon.
harry2

Post by harry2 »

We've just supplied them with 5500 phones for London, Gibraltar, Madrid etcetera. Have'nt lost a penny to Ladbrokes recently as aself excluded !!!.

ps They are a bunch of cnuts when it comes to paying invoices , though.
Oli

Post by Oli »

I work for Cisco - you should look at doing their qualifications if your interested in the network side of things. CCIE's can get £100,000+ a year!
streaky bacon?
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Quite happy at having done my vb course, enjoyed it and nice easy introduction to computing again. Also I can now write pointless windows applications :) I was told by someone else too that there is no money in it, but still dont regret it.

As for web design I never had the eye to make pages look nice. Can make them functional but they look like crap, but still something I'll consider.

Cisco a good idea too, never knew they did qualifications, will look into it, cheers.

BTW - Craig, your missing bugger all! Kings is gone now tho, still working afaik :(
CraigDag

Post by CraigDag »

Ha yeah, from what I got told it was still working. Useless KE. Missed atleast one thing since I left but no doubt it didn't last long AGAIN. Hope Edinburgh is treating you well! Let me know when they finally change Biddys?
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Cisco courses are very expensive, often £2,000 for a week. CCNA was reasonable at just over £500 for a fast track course at 2010 prices.
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Just been trying to find prices Harry! Not a simple search.

Open uni do a CCNA course for £900, and then 4 CCNP courses at £1300 each. If you pass them all you should be set up to qualify for a CCNP TSHOOT, SWITCH and ROUTE certs.

So bit over £6k ex. the Cisco exams could be money very well spent.

Craig - really took it easy with kings, didn't want barred, left noety on etc but wish I hadn't now!!
Oli

Post by Oli »

Yep - they are very expensive. Fortuntely I was able to do CCNA as part of my uni degree, and then got a job at Cisco so was able to do CCNP and CCIE for free. Very, very beneficial. They are worth a lot more than the MS qualifications.
streaky bacon?
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Wonder how a CV saying gambled for a living then did a CCNA/CCNP course would look tho. Might impress tech geeks that frutties can be beat, but lack of real work expereince might be a sore point. Guess thats a moot anyway and need to get a real job one day...

Cheer Oli, will have a serious look at these now