Hi To all from Johnny's Amusements ,Edinburgh

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..

Do you agree that the "Amusement" died in the arcades when Tokens were done away with ?

I do not Agree
67%
I Agree
33%

Total votes: 33

Johnny's Amusements

Hi To all from Johnny's Amusements ,Edinburgh

Post by Johnny's Amusements »

Hi all, Just a quick post to introduce myself. I am 44 years old and have loved the fruits from a very young age. I now find myself in the position of an Arcade operator. I operate an Adult Gaming Centre in Gorgie Road in Edinburgh. As an ex player, I understand fully what the players want & also realise WHY the current decline is happening. I will talk more about this in further posts. I believe that ALL fruit machines should be set to a high% payout. I also have what I believe to be the UK's only dedicated Retro Section which has machines from the 70s & 80s. Check out the link below !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ign7CUi2mY8 :P
Houston

Post by Houston »

As an ex-player, I take it your attitude and approach to current players will be more welcoming than the regular arcade owner?

Empties aside, I assume you understand that a machine on a higher than average payout percentage will, in the long run make you more than one set to a low percent?

Afterall, a punter with £100 to play with is going to spend it eventually, but if they go to another arcade and lose it in ten minutes, or come to your arcade and lose it in two hours, it goes without saying that they'll much rather get some enjoyment out of it, and get a run for their money.

Anyway mate, I hope your arcade does well for you, and gives you a decent living.
Try this number: 0845 1300 286
Houston

Post by Houston »

What era did you play?
Try this number: 0845 1300 286
Johnny's Amusements

Era I played in

I played machines throughout the 70s & 80s. I HATED playing on low % payout machines. Sadly, My arcade is not busy at all these days & I am reluctantly thinking of calling it a day if things do not pick up very soon. :(
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

welcome to fruitchat johnny :D

it is somewhat amusing to see gamcare stickers on 'lineups' and 'supernudge gamblers' :)

purely from an entertainment point of view,i think it was the beginning of the end amusement wise when they went all cash ,it's slowly become less amusing for average joe with each subsequent triennial increase in jacky's ,price of play and board costs pushing the pastime out of the reach of alot of casual players budgets.

however, since the introduction of the 10 quid all cash, player's pockets have had more bulge(ooh err) and louder jangles ,and at the end of the day it's all about the pound signs for these guys.
anfield road

Post by anfield road »

ammusement with prizes!! some of the machines are still fun too play
justice For The 96
milk monitor

Post by milk monitor »

Houston - As an ex-player, I take it your attitude and approach to current players will be more welcoming than the regular arcade owner?

Regardless of past, it would be foolish for the owner of an arcade to welcome professional fruit machine players. An act that would effectively lower the % for the regulars, without receiving as an establishment. The only option would be to ban them immediately.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. WC FIELDS (1880-1946)
HorseRacingKing

Post by HorseRacingKing »

Irrelevant post deleted.
silent g

Post by silent g »

anfield road wrote:some of the machines are still fun too play
i won a prize stacka "mega prize" today :) . there wasnt any ps3's on it so i got a teddy for my baby (when hes born) :) .
and i didnt have much choice as "me julie" put the quid in and said "do this for me" . lol
condoms... ribbed for her pleasure! turn it inside out and its ribbed for my pleasure :)
Johnny's Amusements

Re: .

milk monitor wrote:Houston - As an ex-player, I take it your attitude and approach to current players will be more welcoming than the regular arcade owner?

Regardless of past, it would be foolish for the owner of an arcade to welcome professional fruit machine players. An act that would effectively lower the % for the regulars, without receiving as an establishment. The only option would be to ban them immediately.
I would not welcome so called "professional machine players". As I am mainly a lo-tek arcade I do not get any attention from this type of player. Winners are more than welcome just as long as they are not playing with an unfair advantage. :?
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

I'm assuming your saying pro's have an unfair advantage...

So... Bessy might know when your fill up day is where as Joan doesn't. Bessy tends to avoid playing on that day as a full machine doesn't seem to play as well on Tuesdays for some reason. Bessy also knows that the Golden Game seems to play better when shes getting a holds after nudges on X GX. Joan doesn't.

Bessy therefore isn't playing on the same level as Joan, but her only advantage is knowledge/experience, is that unfair? Its probably paid for afterall!

Build that to the level of pro's, then ask are they therefore playing unfairly?

But yes, you should ban players, but dont be nasty about it, remember we've done nothing wrong. Afterall, old Bessy could be the next player you ban if she keeps on learning...

Anyway, would be as shame if you closed, but if your lo-tec client base is drying up then you need to try something else. The retro section might interest some, but I doubt it'll bring in huge amounts of cash for you.

Maybe you should consider getting a load of new 70 pot high tec's on a high %age, do some advertising the see what happens? Avoid pro's machines and we'll stay away.

good luck
Johnny's Amusements

uber-pro wrote:I'm assuming your saying pro's have an unfair advantage...

So... Bessy might know when your fill up day is where as Joan doesn't. Bessy tends to avoid playing on that day as a full machine doesn't seem to play as well on Tuesdays for some reason. Bessy also knows that the Golden Game seems to play better when shes getting a holds after nudges on X GX. Joan doesn't.

Bessy therefore isn't playing on the same level as Joan, but her only advantage is knowledge/experience, is that unfair? Its probably paid for afterall!

Build that to the level of pro's, then ask are they therefore playing unfairly?

But yes, you should ban players, but dont be nasty about it, remember we've done nothing wrong. Afterall, old Bessy could be the next player you ban if she keeps on learning...

Anyway, would be as shame if you closed, but if your lo-tec client base is drying up then you need to try something else. The retro section might interest some, but I doubt it'll bring in huge amounts of cash for you.

Maybe you should consider getting a load of new 70 pot high tec's on a high %age, do some advertising the see what happens? Avoid pro's machines and we'll stay away.

good luck
Thank you for your reply. I do not have anything against pro players as I used to consider myself one! In the 3+ years I have had the arcade I have not barred any pro players. As I said they have not been a problem to me. Can I also ask what you ment by "pro's machines"? Please can you give me a couple of examples of what would class as a pro's machine & also a few examples of what is not a pro's machine. I would appreciate this very much. Thanks, Steve (Johnny's Amusements) :P
bowie

Post by bowie »

I think you need to get at least a couple of 35/70's in Johnny, at least to cater for everyone, you have a fight on your hands, considering that the Nobles on Princes Street closed due to dwindling profits. Do you own the place in Kirkcaldy too?
Johnny's Amusements

I might just try a couple of £35/£70 hi teks. It could not possibly make things any worse. As far as Kirckaldy goes, I have never owned it. I only rent the arcade I an in just now. :?
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Jonny, I love your idea of a working retro arcade, but the recession has scuppered your enterprise. As someone of the same age as yourself, I rememeber most of these machines, especially the barcrest with the old GAIN on !!!! I worked for a year in an arcade in the mid eighties and learned more about playing machines in that time than ever I did when I was a player. Best wishes, anyway.
Roulette free since December 2011.