Magnets

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
levartemit

Magnets

Post by levartemit »

After reading stories here and from experience, most of use have been barred/stopped from playing machines because we 'are using a magnet' to win. Was this ever actually true? I can imagine they might be useful in older electromechs or unshielded enviroments. I just figured that if the magnet line still gets trotted out so often, there must be a glimmer of truth in it at least in the past. Thoughts anyone?
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

ive been at this over 22 years ,,,,,,,,,,, and NEVER have i heard of any real financial gain to be had from having a magnet ...... just one of those urban myths.
Little discipline = BIG issue

blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

AFAIK, the myth of the magnet originated inside the proletariats head that the reels could be made to stop rotating with the application of a magnet (an acme type, like a red horseshoe with illustrative 'force sparks' coming out the end).

Thus, with a single application of said magnet, we could hold the jackpot symbols in view on all three reels (the force knows what we require and distributes it's influence accordingly. Physics loves a cheat). After all, if
you hold a magnet to your 12" PYE TV screen, you can see it working..

Once the machine had stopped spinning the reels that have cunningly been held in place, it would pay our jackpot because the reels position determines whether a win has been achieved or not.
Perhaps a cunning assembly of pins, cranks gears and notches made this possible.

Back to reality, we all know that the reels are a representation of what is decided as the outcome of a game in silicon. So any influence a magnet exerted on reels wouldn't have an effect on payout.

But what about the circuit boards I hear you cry ! Magnets can cause an unwanted frequency shift in oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band. These components are not commonly found in machines. Could I create a voltage spike ? If you had tremors in your hand to oscillate the magnetic field enough, perhaps. But you'd need a powerful magnet, probably an electromagnet.

The whole magnets myth comes from the commoners fear and misunderstanding of science coupled with incomprehension at others winning.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
levartemit

4 Sale

Post by levartemit »

Ere Bruv I got a well good fing to emty da bandits only 20 quid bruv, ere me emtyin one wiv it. Thanks for the posts guys, informative and concise.
Attachments
magnet_176.jpg
magnet_176.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

lol it actually looks like edmonds is being sucked into the magnet.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

there was an article in coinslot a few years ago about a guy who got caught defrauding machines in my home town of felixstowe,funnily enough.

Anyway ,he is reported to have said whilst being questioned that he had discovered a way to cheat the machine with a magnet.

Now ......before anyone starts lolling too much this is what was reported and no deeper explanation was given.the only thing i can think of that it feasibly could have been is that old bgt lump of shite which had the ball dropping down in it for the repeat(random repeater? Or something) .this machine, as i understand it ,had a steel ballbearing to start with.
mr cheese

Post by mr cheese »

Or maybe it stemmed from the 60s with the 1d wall mounted thing with a ballbearing that was flicked around and landed in the win or lose collum,Or maybe arcades dont like them because you could go round with 1 hold it to all the section 16 screens and bugger them up mmmm hope no one gets any ideas... :D
Bang Tidy,Potatoes,Shittiiiiing,Smash Ya Back Doors In....
Scott

Post by Scott »

mr lugsy wrote:there was an article in coinslot a few years ago about a guy who got caught defrauding machines in my home town of felixstowe,funnily enough.

Anyway ,he is reported to have said whilst being questioned that he had discovered a way to cheat the machine with a magnet.

Now ......before anyone starts lolling too much this is what was reported and no deeper explanation was given.the only thing i can think of that it feasibly could have been is that old bgt lump of shite which had the ball dropping down in it for the repeat(random repeater? Or something) .this machine, as i understand it ,had a steel ballbearing to start with.
I remember some game that could be done with a magnet, like you say with a ball bearing, you used the magnet to hook the ball and dropped it in the most profitable hole, must be 10 years ago now but i definately remember something. They actually changed the ball from steel to plastic to prevent this to.
Cobwebs 👆
sir ratholer

Post by sir ratholer »

trayhop123 wrote:ive been at this over 22 years ,,,,,,,,,,, and NEVER have i heard of any real financial gain to be had from having a magnet ...... just one of those urban myths.
Yeah, just like mobile phones...since when did nokia make phones to cheat fruit machines!!!
Bored of the grind.
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

that ratty my friend , stem'd from people keying in the follow me codes on temple of treasure etc . . . . . . . . . before we knew to hold the reels all down lol.
Little discipline = BIG issue

angel213

Post by angel213 »

is it me or does any one else think that a magnet. if affecting any reels these days, might just cause a reel alarm???
levartemit

MTR

Post by levartemit »

What u talkin for Angel my emtier is sound innit bruv! :D Lol I agree, if the reel does not land where it is supposed to via processor instruction it will reel alarm. I got (almost) 3 super sevens for an alarm and no payout! Barcrests of the 6 quid era were prone to this.
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

I blame Q
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

uber-pro wrote:I blame Q
big lol.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Q, ha-ha, legend! (Diamonds are Forever)

I can't remember the exact quote, but something along the line of: "A ring-sized Sonic Agitator. Press here when the desired symbols appear and..."

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."